The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI vs. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Nope, and I do not see disasters twice.
You didn't like TWOK?

I know of a few who didn't. I liked it myself.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
What do you think people. Could this new film beat out TWOK and become the best Trek movie created?
Haven't seen it yet but its worth remembering the best Trek films were the even numbers ie: 2,4,6,8 & 10 this one is one of the odd numbers so history says no and so it seems to the fans of Star trek.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Your username... Named after the actual hammer or named after the Spartans' armor?
The hammer - norse mythology is awesome.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
Haven't seen it yet but its worth remembering the best Trek films were the even numbers ie: 2,4,6,8 & 10 this one is one of the odd numbers so history says no and so it seems to the fans of Star trek.
*cough*Nemesis*cough*
Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir2000 View Post
Well for one that assumes that II was the best ST film - personally I prefer VI.

But no, I doubt it. I'm not saying that this won't be a good film, but from the clips I've seen I just don't see it happening. The acting is good, but not particularly great. The action looks cool, but to fast paced to be suspenseful. And what the frak is with those blindingly bright bridge lights?

My impression is that this film is trying to hard to be "cool", and because of that it's going to suffer. Maybe I'm wrong - I certainly hope that I am - but that's my worry.

I will say that from the brief clips we've seen, Nero looks like he'll be a great enemy. Khan level? We'll see.
I agree, the action won't be as suspensful as the Enterprise v.s. Reliant fight in the Nebula. One of the best space battles ever. But it will still be fun.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Not canon. And it doesn't actually make sense, given how old Voyager 6 is vs. the age of the Borg.
Voyager was launched during the late 20th century. The Borg are around in that time, because in First Contact, they made reference to the fact that they learnt retrospectively that the Borg are in the Delta Quadrant during the 20th and 21st centuries.

Remember in First Contact which is set mostly in the late 21st century, the 24th century Borg attempt to contact their own kind living in the 21st century.

So yeh it does make sense if Voyager made it into the Delta Quadrant.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Admiral

I say it'll be more WOW FACTOR. It won't have the suspense of Reliant/Enterprise but it will certainly be something to see. I mean let's face it, it's really Kirk/Khan; they never meet, their ships are their swords and it's their fight. That's one thing that made TWOK so great. It was all about character. Much of Trek XI I feel will be about spectacle. Which isn't bad. But I bet the character depth of TWOK won't be there which is why I predict Trek XI won't touch TWOK. But of course I haven't seen it yet, so I may be proven wrong, but if they can achieve the character depth of TWOK then this new movie is going to be a classic.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
Voyager was launched during the late 20th century. The Borg are around in that time, because in First Contact, they made reference to the fact that they learnt retrospectively that the Borg are in the Delta Quadrant during the 20th and 21st centuries.

Remember in First Contact which is set mostly in the late 21st century, the 24th century Borg attempt to contact their own kind living in the 21st century.

So yeh it does make sense if Voyager made it into the Delta Quadrant.
Then it must have fallen into a worm hole or something, there is no way Voyager could reach the delta quadrant in that amount of time.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Then it must have fallen into a worm hole or something, there is no way Voyager could reach the delta quadrant in that amount of time.
Within the time span of the 20th century to the 23rd century it is quit possible the Borg moved around during that time.

I think my first assessment was wrong though.

Maybe the Borg moved during that time span and came across Voyager on their trip.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Admiral

If the Borg came to Voyager, then yeah, definitely. But from my understanding it'd take Voyager centuries to get to the closest star so there must be some intervention at some point in one form or the other.