The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the design of the new Enterprise, but.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Midshipman

So, if this design floating around isn't the one being used in the movie, is there a picture of the design they're using? or is it the original series design? It really can't be the later, as I've noticed many glaring differences between the movie ship and the original series ship just by watching the teaser.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Good question. Personally, i think the "Gabe" design is rather a nice looking ship, but it's obviously not the same ship as in the teaser. For one thing, it's glaringly obvious that the ship's name and hull number are far closer to the edge of the saucer rim on the teaser version than they are on the "Gabe" model, and are written in a different type of lettering. Also the indentations on the outer edges of the saucer (9 o'clock and 3' o'clock) on the "Gabe" model aren't present on the teaser ship.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Something like this:

That looks nice, where did you get that?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Ensign

Default Starbase 3 is right!

It has been my point since the beginning. If they use anything but the original Enterprise they have failed.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Ensign

Default Sorry

I meant Starbase 63.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM

Default You know something? I've had this same argument before, but i was on the other side.

Back when the first posters for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" were released and showed the Enterprise refit with those funky, freakish and downright UGLY triangular warp nacelles, i argued that the ship should have looked more like the original and to a person, every hardcore trekkie i knew back then poo-pooed me and said the refit looked fine, and grand and so much better than the "old" design. I stuck to my guns so well, i became alienated from the other fans for a while, until "Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan" came out and i just looked the other way and enjoyed a good film with the rest of trekdom. But you know what? I was vindicated by none other than Scotty himself. When Doohan made his appearrance on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and entered the holodeck, what did he ask for? What ship did he say was HIS favorite ship? Yep, that's right. The NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C, or D! What do you know? I was right all the time after all.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpathiavh99 View Post
So, if this design floating around isn't the one being used in the movie, is there a picture of the design they're using? or is it the original series design? It really can't be the later, as I've noticed many glaring differences between the movie ship and the original series ship just by watching the teaser.
No one has gotten a good look at their design yet, we're still waiting for the pictures. They say we'll see it soon.

I think a prototype of the model/toy was at the German toy fair though, so some people might have seen it there.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Why don't you show us what you think the old girl should look like in the film then?
You know that's funny. I wouldn't dream of changing too much...I could show you a ship design I'm working on for Star Trek Bridge Commander Bridge Commander...

But it's like I said...i would surely resurface the ship...but I wouldn't alter it's shape almost at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrlykam View Post
The description sounds like Gabe Koerner's quality fan 3D model.

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/fake...ise/1000285502
Heres what they've showed me on the FILE FRONT GAMING FORUMS.
http://forums.filefront.com/starbase...ew-1701-a.html

Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You know that's funny. I wouldn't dream of changing too much...I could show you a ship design I'm working on for Star Trek Bridge Commander Bridge Commander...

But it's like I said...i would surely resurface the ship...but I wouldn't alter it's shape almost at all.

Heres what they've showed me on the FILE FRONT GAMING FORUMS.
http://forums.filefront.com/starbase...ew-1701-a.html
I respect your opinion, but I still like the Koerner design. In my opinion, if you took away all the detail and were left with just a wire-frame model of the design, you'd still be able to see which Enterprise it is at a glance.

That being said, I'll agree with you that this design posted by 'goin fast' is great.

If it came down to a choice between the two I'd side with this one too.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's alot easier on the eyes....I don't love it...but it doesn't offend like the other one tries to do.

Now question: the ship in the first post....Is that the ship in the movie ...you know the one in all the spoiler tags? or is it something different?