The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the design of the new Enterprise, but.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM

Default I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the design of the new Enterprise, but.....

From what i've seen in the teaser it harkens back rather to the original design. The engine nacelles are round instead of triangular (Thank God!Those
triangular engines bugged the bejeebins outta me when ST:TMP first came out!) and although the saucer section is kind of movie-ish rather than series-ish, they actually seem to have corrected a few of the rather glaring faults with the original series ship, namely strengthening of the struts that supported the engine nacelles which was badly needed. Those original struts wouldn't have held up a toothpick (Believe me, when i was a kid i built several model kits of the Enterprise NCC-1701 and the most difficult thing ever was keeping those nacelles on the struts until the glue dried! I had to learn very clever uses for rubber bands let me tell you!). I actually like what they've done with the Enterprise. It also makes the ST:TMP re-build look far more plausible. Although i've always loved the simple, clean lines of the original 1960's ship, i've always thought the design looked weak compared to Klingon D-7's and Romulan Warbirds from the same era. The new design actually looks like it could kick a little butt. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Berengarius7 : 02-13-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Lieutenant

To me, Trek has always been about story and character -- a "safe" environment to examine the events and moral choices of the present through drama, maybe best exemplified by TOS's take on the Cold War Fed vs Klingons, and ENT's 3rd season allegory on the current war on terror.

As long as the ship's pretty, I'm happy -- I'll be there to see a story.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

I actually design ships. So I do have qualifications. I've been designing them for 14 years. The additions have perculiar and unnecessary gaps in the hull. Vents where the design doesn't need them like on the side of the ship. That new gap above the deflector...That's a hull weakness at a particularly weak location to start with.

Lets look over the ship.

The fist eye sore is the impule engines.
First their a different color and second it looks as though it's seperate from the rest of the ship in design in other words an addition (that's exactly what it is, after market) Give it the same color.

Second those hoods on the Nacelles. Why?
It's a bussard scoup. A massive magnetic coil. this is early space exploration. Technology need to be protected from external damage. Thus the purpose of the Hull. The less joints in the Hull the better the weld. The better the Hull Integrity That's just basic.

Then the adding of the blue light special where there was None...Why? If you're adding a protective hood WHY THE HECK ARE COILS EXPOSED!!! They're the most senistive piece of technology on the ship. You loose one no warping-no -mo.

The Saucer
Completely plagurized...That saucer IS the Constitution refit, without the hull lights on the ventral and the the funky new impulse engines on the top. The shield grid lines on the side, the bridge, the entire shape.

The Pylons...
Well learning that this "space craft" will be contructed on earth brings this into perspective....He lowered then off the back. Firstly I think it just looks ugly. But this is actually right. They don't do much for the center of gravity on the spine of the ship and leaning heavily like they were....BUT that didn't matter before because it was supposed to a strictly "space" craft.

The same with the notches junctioning the Pylons to the Secondary hull. At first I'm thinking...Ugly... But that's necessary...if it'subjected to gravity. REally...it need something more than that.

The Deflector

My biggest gripe. this is supposed to be a vessel with a double hull. It needs to be complete and solid as much as possible and this Gabe guy puts the biggest gap (propportionaly) on a ship ever...I have never seen this done. It's like an intake...it's sitting between all so important deflector housing and the torpedo tubes...WHY?! For God's sake?! Why the shelf, the gap? You got antimatter storage down there! Some where they is a BIG FAT TANK of HYDROGEN in there it's likely to be right there below the neck if the PTS isn't running down the length of the spine any more to the engines

I look at it and think...He designed a ...death trap...

Everything else I could live with.
I don't think there is any wonder this is ugly if it wasn't desined for functionality...

Funny this ships has the same problem as the sovereign...Designed for no functionality...Yet the Sovereign is butt ugly. It's not beautiful from EVERY angle but it does ahve a few sweet spots... This thing is a big butt all around, all the way around...

Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

Lets look over the ship.
And you got all that (above) from the trailer?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
I actually design ships. So I do have qualifications. I've been designing them for 14 years.
Why don't you show us what you think the old girl should look like in the film then?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Midshipman

The description sounds like Gabe Koerner's quality fan 3D model.

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/fake...ise/1000285502
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Ensign

Where's Tannagra when we need him?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I actually design ships. So I do have qualifications. I've been designing them for 14 years. The additions have perculiar and unnecessary gaps in the hull. Vents where the design doesn't need them like on the side of the ship. That new gap above the deflector...That's a hull weakness at a particularly weak location to start with.

Lets look over the ship.

The fist eye sore is the impule engines.
First their a different color and second it looks as though it's seperate from the rest of the ship in design in other words an addition (that's exactly what it is, after market) Give it the same color.

Second those hoods on the Nacelles. Why?
It's a bussard scoup. A massive magnetic coil. this is early space exploration. Technology need to be protected from external damage. Thus the purpose of the Hull. The less joints in the Hull the better the weld. The better the Hull Integrity That's just basic.

Then the adding of the blue light special where there was None...Why? If you're adding a protective hood WHY THE HECK ARE COILS EXPOSED!!! They're the most senistive piece of technology on the ship. You loose one no warping-no -mo.

The Saucer
Completely plagurized...That saucer IS the Constitution refit, without the hull lights on the ventral and the the funky new impulse engines on the top. The shield grid lines on the side, the bridge, the entire shape.

The Pylons...
Well learning that this "space craft" will be contructed on earth brings this into perspective....He lowered then off the back. Firstly I think it just looks ugly. But this is actually right. They don't do much for the center of gravity on the spine of the ship and leaning heavily like they were....BUT that didn't matter before because it was supposed to a strictly "space" craft.

The same with the notches junctioning the Pylons to the Secondary hull. At first I'm thinking...Ugly... But that's necessary...if it'subjected to gravity. REally...it need something more than that.

The Deflector

My biggest gripe. this is supposed to be a vessel with a double hull. It needs to be complete and solid as much as possible and this Gabe guy puts the biggest gap (propportionaly) on a ship ever...I have never seen this done. It's like an intake...it's sitting between all so important deflector housing and the torpedo tubes...WHY?! For God's sake?! Why the shelf, the gap? You got antimatter storage down there! Some where they is a BIG FAT TANK of HYDROGEN in there it's likely to be right there below the neck if the PTS isn't running down the length of the spine any more to the engines

I look at it and think...He designed a ...death trap...

Everything else I could live with.
I don't think there is any wonder this is ugly if it wasn't desined for functionality...

Funny this ships has the same problem as the sovereign...Designed for no functionality...Yet the Sovereign is butt ugly. It's not beautiful from EVERY angle but it does ahve a few sweet spots... This thing is a big butt all around, all the way around...
Exposed warp coils? Dude, that's one of Gabe Koerner's designs that's been circulating around the net, that's not the design being used in the movie!

Doesn't everyone know this yet??? :Svengo:
Old 02-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Why don't you show us what you think the old girl should look like in the film then?
Something like this:

Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrlykam View Post
The description sounds like Gabe Koerner's quality fan 3D model.

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/fake...ise/1000285502
Yeah, it is. He even mentions Gabe by name. It's a critique of that design, not the XI one.