The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The Fly, original or remake?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is better, original or remake?
Original 7 50.00%
Remake 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Original version all the way. Just like original The Thing which I watched on the weekend.
Interesting, in that with both THE FLY and THE THING, I find the originals and remakes so vastly different in their intent, that it's hard for me to compare them directly.

Example: with Hedison, I was much more scared by the thought of being the fly with the human head (giant spiders... shudder!); whereas with Goldblum, I was much more horried by becoming the fly-man.

In terms of genre and subtext, the original FLY is a science fiction bug movie, where Cronenberg's remake is much more about the horror of humans being devoured from within (mad scientist vs. AIDS/cancer parable, to put it very simplistically). With Hedison, I didn't want to be a bug -- with Goldblum, I didn't want to live through my own body's disintegration. Seriously, when his ear falls off during dinner -- talk about a head trip.

Similarly with THE THING, the remake is much more akin to the original story about paranoia and isolation, whereas the original film is very much a monster from outer space film. Don't get me wrong, I worship the original THING, it's a longtime favorite -- but it never gets you far out of your comfort zone either with all that zippy dialogue and sexual tension.

Carpenter's remake is filled with tension one could scoop up with a ladle -- and that's just the human-human interplay and mistrust. When the Thing arrives on the scene, all the human self-destruction simply boils over from its current simmer.

Credit to Cronenberg: I saw THE FLY once when it came out and never again. It was so effective, I simply don't want to experience it again. I still enjoy THE THING immensely though. I enjoy the 'game' of the story -- there's no game in THE FLY, just one miserable entropic spiral downward.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The final scene of the original, the "Help Me!" scene in the spider's web, still scares me. The origional had more pathos. I really can't remember a lot about the remake so that in itself says which I prefer.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Commander

Vincent Price, how can you beat him when it comes to horror? And that last scene with that terrible buzzing voice yelling "heeellllp mmmeeeee!" ,still gives me the shudders.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It comes down to which one I'd rather watch again... in which case it's the original. It's probably because I remember all the nightmares it gave me as a kid... hell, the original still makes me really uncomfortable... The original Fly was a movie that hit some pretty heavy terror points in my head... but it did it in a more symbolic way, rather than just trotting out a bunch of gore effects. Three scenes in that film shook me to the core: The first scene where the scientist's wife has to "reset" the press to squash the arm, the scene with the cat's meyow echoing through the lab when it fails to appear... and the final scene with the spider... (especially that one scene, since I seem to have this phobia about being trapped and "seeing it coming." Same reason Donald Pleasance's death in Fantastic Voyage pretty much freaked me out.)

As much as I like the work of David Cronenberg, his film was more about what it's like having a slow dibilitating diesease, than it is about the tradgedy that ensues when you are careless. I wasn't really "on edge" with that film until about the last 10 minutes, when Brundle proposes the "fusion." Even then, it was more about the suspense...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Captain

I read recently that they are making a The Thing 2. Where in the world could they go with the story? Unless they are just going to have a differnt group of dudes going to the same place.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've only seen the remake and based on what I've seen of the original, the remake has to be better.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I read recently that they are making a The Thing 2. Where in the world could they go with the story? Unless they are just going to have a differnt group of dudes going to the same place.
The Norwegian camp is supposed to be the focus based on what Ron Moore has said.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Yup. It's a prequel... we get to see the folks at the Nowegian base find the Thing, dig it up, and accidentally thaw it out... comedy ensues! Which means thay have to make it a 1985 period peice... It would be really cool if they decided to stick to 1980's FX technology to bring it to life, too, but I imagine it'll be crappy ol' CGI again...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Vincent Price, how can you beat him when it comes to horror?
Come on, he's hardly in it.
They paid him to sell the movie with his name, but he had nothing to do in it.
I prefer the remake.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Original version all the way. Just like original The Thing which I watched on the weekend.
Perhaps - to each his/her own ... but I do think the '82 remake of The Thing was better, if for no other reason than that it was a much more direct adaptation of the original story, "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell. An incredibly creepy read - you can find it online, full text, if you Google it.
I'm also looking forward to the prequel at the Norwegian station -and I agree that the film should use mid-80s rubbery horror effects!

Last edited by flw : 04-24-2009 at 02:06 PM.