The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Deadlock?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Captain

Default Deadlock?

Since we are having such healthy, spirited debates concerning the alternate timelines, I thought about one of my very favorite episodes of Voyager. In Deadlock, Harry Kim, and Namoi Wildman (as a baby) were killed in the "prime" timeline, or was it? Anyway, at the end of the episode, after Kim and baby were instructed to leave the alternate time and "jump" into the prime timeline. At the end, Harry and baby stayed in the current one. Harry and Capt Janeway were walking down the corridor and said he didn't feel quite right that it was strange. Isn't that similar to what we are experiencing here? In the "other" timeline everyone on Voyager, except Harry and baby, became victims of the Vidiains. That was such a good episode, because it had us believe that the clean undamaged ship was the prime timeline. In the end, it was the severely damaged Voyager which was the one. So, in one timeline, Voyager is resuced, the other one, not so lucky.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Sort of...

But your post seems to degenerate into a rant halfway through, might you like to expand upon this?

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 04-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Captain

I don't understand what you mean. I just wanted to know if people could see the resemblence, no rant intended. I just think it is interesting, that Harry felt "different" about being in a different universe. I don't see where you thought that was a rant.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Federation Councillor

That's because that Harry was an alternate Harry Kim. The one who started off in Voyager's pilot was dead.

He was not the Harry Kim we had known since then.

Same with O'Brien in DS9 Visionary - The O'Brien we knew since season 1 of TNG died and was replaced by an alternate of himself.

And did anyone mind?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's because that Harry was an alternate Harry Kim. The one who started off in Voyager's pilot was dead.

He was not the Harry Kim we had known since then.

Same with O'Brien in DS9 Visionary - The O'Brien we knew since season 1 of TNG died and was replaced by an alternate of himself.

And did anyone mind?
No, I didn't lose any sleep over it In fact I believe that is about what Janeway said to him when he was lamenting over it.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Captain

Ok, now I am watching Through The Looking Glass, a nicely done DS9 epi from my Alternate Realities set. I remembered something I had forgotten about this episode. In the Mirror universe, Tuvok is a member of Sisko's band of pirates! Sisko over there is now dead, as is Quark, and Odo. I guess they had to pull Tuvok over from the Delta Quadrant to have enough regulars to do the episode!!!! Seriously, since watching these episodes, it helps me to understand and even get ready for this movie. Perhaps Paramount encouraged CBS to realease this newest "Fans choice epis" It has just been a few months since this one came out.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Since we are having such healthy, spirited debates concerning the alternate timelines, I thought about one of my very favorite episodes of Voyager. In Deadlock, Harry Kim, and Namoi Wildman (as a baby) were killed in the "prime" timeline, or was it? Anyway, at the end of the episode, after Kim and baby were instructed to leave the alternate time and "jump" into the prime timeline. At the end, Harry and baby stayed in the current one. Harry and Capt Janeway were walking down the corridor and said he didn't feel quite right that it was strange. Isn't that similar to what we are experiencing here? In the "other" timeline everyone on Voyager, except Harry and baby, became victims of the Vidiains. That was such a good episode, because it had us believe that the clean undamaged ship was the prime timeline. In the end, it was the severely damaged Voyager which was the one. So, in one timeline, Voyager is resuced, the other one, not so lucky.
First, you are making an assumption that was not supported by anything said or shown in the episode. We don't know which Voyager and crew were the "original". Just because the show ended with one Voyager intact does NOT mean it was the "original" or "prime" Voyager. Also I don't the alternate Universe concept fits quite right either. The episode mentions some other anomaly or accident that "split" the matter and created the double situation. It was strange they occupied the same space and time yet were not running into one another, it was more like a different "phase" rather than "universe".

One more thing. BOTH Harry and the baby were as much the "original" as the ones that died. With the exception of a day or two of experiences, they WERE the same person!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
First, you are making an assumption that was not supported by anything said or shown in the episode. We don't know which Voyager and crew were the "original". Just because the show ended with one Voyager intact does NOT mean it was the "original" or "prime" Voyager. Also I don't the alternate Universe concept fits quite right either. The episode mentions some other anomaly or accident that "split" the matter and created the double situation. It was strange they occupied the same space and time yet were not running into one another, it was more like a different "phase" rather than "universe".

One more thing. BOTH Harry and the baby were as much the "original" as the ones that died. With the exception of a day or two of experiences, they WERE the same person!
First of all, yes we do know which ship and crew was the "original" It was the ship that was blown to bits, the one that survived. Second, Harry and young Naomi came from the other ship, the one from the different timeline or universe or whatever it's called. When the ships were divided or one moved one or whatever, the ship from the other universe was being boarded by the vidiains, some of the main characters had already been murdered.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

What are you guys talking about.
Deadlock wasn't an alternative time line.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Captain

No, but there were 2 seperate crews, ships, and different things happening to the 2 different crews at one time. I was attempting to make a comparison of what it was like, dealing with this alternate reality. Plus the mirror universe I described in this post about different people getting killed in the mirror universe. PLUS Tuvok being in the Mirror universe with Capt Sisko, you gotta admit, it is similar. Especially when Harry told Janeway that he didn't belong in "that" universe.