The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Not Sure about this my Take
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Midshipman

Ok thanks everyone... I will back off respectfully on the Uhura Kirk thing.. Since its been established on this board its not what you think... Etc...

I am going to give this movie a chance... but I am still nervous about a certain planet being blown out of the universe... That to me... Could make my opinion go back in the negative...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Ok thanks everyone... I will back off respectfully on the Uhura Kirk thing.. Since its been established on this board its not what you think... Etc...

I am going to give this movie a chance... but I am still nervous about a certain planet being blown out of the universe... That to me... Could make my opinion go back in the negative...
I feel your pain, dude. I have put a lot of thought into this and I came up with an interesting way of looking at it. If you haven't already, check this out
http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6541
And feel free to let me know what you think.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Spock distrusts him? Is that really SO implausible?
No kidding.

Remember Spock reminiscing in Star Trek II about how Kirk passed the Kobyashi Maru test? He says:

"...as I recall you took the test three times yourself. Your final solution, was, shall we say, ...unique."

Its clear Spock didn't necessarily agree with how Kirk passed the test.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Ensign

The Kirk we see in the original series is a confident, combative leader. Also, we know how he is clearly a hit with the ladies.

I think its safe to say Kirk was a loose canon in his youth, so I like that characterization in addition to his early womanizing days.

It also explains how Kirk is not afraid to take risks and is not afraid to disobey Star Fleet orders (IE: Stealing the Enterprise in STIII to help save Spock).
Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that's true. But Kirk did get a commendation for original thinking. Wonder if that will be in the new film?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Yeah, that's true. But Kirk did get a commendation for original thinking. Wonder if that will be in the new film?
I would think so.

I mean, who really is going to get the credit for stopping Nero?? I've heard that is 'older' Spock that does --- but not without young Kirk pulling out all the stops.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Ensign

Also, not sure is this is so much an arrogance as it was an obsession: Command of a Starship...and not just any Starship, but the Enterprise.

Remember how Kirk clearly politicizes his way back into the Captain's chair at Decker's expense in ST-TMP. Here is a guy that is motivated by being the 'it guy', the 'leader of the pack' and not someone who stays in the background.

He doesn't 'like to lose' is as arrogant as you can get.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk ISN'T arrogant in the original timeline?

"I don't like to lose." - Kirk

C'mon dude. You're stretching it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
If Certain rumors are true... I for one may be disappointed. ........

I am just not sure I want to see this now.
Quote:
The problem is we have an Arrogant Kirk, We have an Enterprise built in Iowa... not San Fransico... We have a Spock that will probably Distrust Kirk throughout the movie till the last half hour...

It will have the feel of wanting to know the characters you love but than be sickened by knowing the characters you grew up 79 Plus TOS Episodes 7 Movies... (Generations with Kirk... Flop but still he was in it.) Will all be put aside for this reboot... And we the Trek fans are suppose to say, "Thanks JJ... We got our Franchise back.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I feel your pain, dude.

Doc-

I too feel your pain, and we three are not the only ones. This discussion has been going on in many forms for the past 6 months at least on this forum. and in less polite forms on other forums. I've expressed my opinion as have Zim, Saint, Starbase 63, Bird of Prey, and a few others regarding our skeptisism (there was an open bottle of wine in my home tonight so firgive misspellings etc...) but intolerant as I usually am. I have to say that we all owe it to ourselves to see this film. The future of a franchise is at stake and as much of a purist as I am (some would say canonista, or freak, or who knows what they're calling us now), I have to give the movie a chance. Granted, it's not the vision of Trek that all of us have had but if we are ever going to have anything in the future apart from our memories of the 1980s, we have to see what this film offers. I have resolved not to say anything else negative until I have seen the flick... then, if I disagree, I'll feel free to bash it, but I still think we have to have the same open mind that Rod hoped the generations of the future would have.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Vice Admiral

Very well said