The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Star trek enterprise should return for a fifth season and more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
So in short, the show sucked because it was too much like TOS, not TOS and unlike TOS. That's the most empty critique usually aimed at ENT, complaining at the same time that things are similar (the troika) and different (e.g. an unexperienced and excited captain).
I too noticed the complaints about BOTH the similarities AND the differences, but I like the way you said it!!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
UPN KILLED ENT!!!!

I think that was the MAJOR variable. Lots of people I know could not get UPN in their areas and were Trek fans that wanted to watch it. I know "lots" of people to me is just a handful, but I wonder where else this was a problem and if it could be a reason ratings were as low as they were. I am NOT ignoring the people that watched it and tuned out because they didn't like it!
Did not TOS also have similar problems, at least during the last year? I faintly remember that TOS got a slot on friday night and that UPN switched the slot for ENT all the time.

Concerning the fifth season, of course ENT should have gotten one. Coalition of Planets, Earth-Romulan War, founding of the Federation, these were gold nuggets. Even Trekkers who disliked the show enjoyed the last season. It got cancelled when it became really good.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

How did Voyager survive on UPN when it was in its infancy?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
How did Voyager survive on UPN when it was in its infancy?
"survive" is the key word. It never did very well.

I am NOT alone in my opinion of UPN. I can't remember who was being interviewed, but it was one of the Trek heads (like Braga or Moore) and he too made a similar statement. I'm going to search for that interview. I think it was on Trekmovie.com

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 06-01-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

UPN was a terrible idea to begin with, as is the current CW which is a result of UPN and the WB merging. They couldn't and still can't compete with the big four. CBS should have aired Enterprise.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
UPN was a terrible idea to begin with, as is the current CW which is a result of UPN and the WB merging. They couldn't and still can't compete with the big four. CBS should have aired Enterprise.
Yep! Or syndicate the darn thing and let each area's stations decide whether or not to pay for it.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Yep! Or syndicate the darn thing and let each area's stations decide whether or not to pay for it.
Quite true. It worked very well for TNG. Not sure about DS9 though, since I barely watched it. I would love to see a ratings comparison of all series including the Animated one.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Ensign

Quote:
I don't know if this is the right thread to start this subject, but what aspects did you find to be weak in the canon area? I know there were a few minor things, but what really bothered you? I LOVED ENT and noticed slight variations from some things that had been mentioned in Trek before, but they never bothered me much. This new movie bothers me wayyy more with the way it just sends us into another universe.
Important tech issues, like Romulans having stealth tech (ya, guess it was not called cloaking, but it sure acted like a cloak). There were advanced holographic programs (Trip was very involved in that episode, yet in TNG, it is a new tech). There were more, but I'm willing to let that pass.

I think what I liked the least was how they keep meeting species they should not have, most importantly Borg, Ferengi, Romulans, etc.

Just my $.02

Don't get me wrong. I like ENT. Having read this thread, thinking back, ENT problem was UPN. Still, at the time travel episodes got old as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanis View Post
Important tech issues, like Romulans having stealth tech (ya, guess it was not called cloaking, but it sure acted like a cloak). There were advanced holographic programs (Trip was very involved in that episode, yet in TNG, it is a new tech). There were more, but I'm willing to let that pass.

I think what I liked the least was how they keep meeting species they should not have, most importantly Borg, Ferengi, Romulans, etc.
I'll have to watch the TOS episode again dealing with the Romulans. I don't remember it being said the cloak was a new thing. I know no face to face communications had been done until TOS and that is why they were surprised to see Romulans looked like Vulcans. ENT did a good job of keeping to that canon issue.

Ferengi? The pirates we all knew were Ferengi remained unidentified to the crew of the NX-01 and to Starfleet. Nothing breaking canon there. Same for the Borg. I'm sure in both cases when the species had been identified the historical records were updated to put a name to the "unknowns".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanis View Post
Just my $.02

Don't get me wrong. I like ENT. Having read this thread, thinking back, ENT problem was UPN. Still, at the time travel episodes got old as well.
Cool!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

I can't stand when people complain about the Borg episode. Q was only showing them what was to come in "Q Who?" so the Borg were already on their way due to the events of Enterprise. It was a genius move by the writers! Bravo!