The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Star trek enterprise should return for a fifth season and more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Lieutenant

Default Star trek enterprise should return for a fifth season and more

Star trek enterprise should return for a fifth season and more.
why?
because it is a really good show.
the only reason why people didnt like it is because t didnt have any trek in it, but if it were not a trek show people would like it. So who are we to take it off the air. I have just recently been watching a few episodes and i love it!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Lieutenant

The reason people didn't like it was because (in my opinion) it was full of cliche stereotypes that were making fun of themselves and weren't realizing it. You had a formula that had been done 3 times before. A ship exploring new worlds and new civilizations. A captain who's brash and oh so Kirk-like. A Vulcan (which wasn't Spock). Nothing was new or fresh about the series. They threw in sex to get ratings, nothing more, and in the end it didn't work. With the despicable financial crush of Nemesis at the box office people weren't interested in the show.

Ratings and viewers dropped, advertisement of the show was limited and it aired on UPN...a station which ended up being shut down immediately after Enterprise was cancelled. Star Trek was a dying franchise and Enterprise brought nothing we hadn't seen before. Only when it was too late was when Enterprise seemed to find somewhat of a foothold. Season 4 was the best season.

Ultimately the biggest problem was, here you had a show which was taking place 100 hundred years before a ship and crew people actually cared about. The missions of TOS (bad or good) were and are cherished by fans old and young. Enterprise then came in and on several occasions tried to re-write or come up with explanations that altered that show we all equally cared about. No one cared or cares about the people who came before Kirk and Spock. Star Trek very much is...Kirk and Spock. When Star Trek began to steer further and further away from that it was lost.

Ronald D Moore said it best while talking about prequel or sequel shows. He said "you don't try and use the same formula" meaning, coming up with something fresh in a franchise is the best way to go. It keeps the viewer more in-tuned. The predictable becomes the un-predictable.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Ensign

IMO focused to much on time travel. Then, to really piss off the fans, would do something that was not on par with canon.

I think it would have done better to just deal in the back ground, but be epic. Episodes that dealt with Andorians, Augments, Orions, Klingons, etc were all great.

It was a good show, but after Voyager, I was burnt out. While there were many things I liked about Voyager, how they dealt with time travel and the Borg really fouled things up for me. Then I started watching Enterprise only to be hit with the same problems concerning time travel and a weak following of canon.

Having rewatched it on SciFi the last few years, I've learned to like it more, a lot more.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Commander

You don't seem to make sense, first you say it didn't have any Trek in it?????????
It was Trek. Then you say if it wasn't Trek people would get into it?????WHY????!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
You don't seem to make sense, first you say it didn't have any Trek in it?????????
It was Trek. Then you say if it wasn't Trek people would get into it?????WHY????!!!
I noticed the confusing nature of the post as well. I think it was just an error in typing.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
Star trek enterprise should return for a fifth season and more.
why?
because it is a really good show.
Yes, I think it should return as well although I find it highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
the only reason why people didnt like it is because t didnt have any trek in it, but if it were not a trek show people would like it. So who are we to take it off the air. I have just recently been watching a few episodes and i love it!
So your saying the fans didn't like because of the original title "Enterprise", which did NOT have the words "Star Trek" in it? Then with that same logic you are saying if it had NOT been based on Star Trek it would have done better? You are a bit confusing. Please clarify.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanis View Post
. Then I started watching Enterprise only to be hit with the same problems concerning time travel and a weak following of canon..
I don't know if this is the right thread to start this subject, but what aspects did you find to be weak in the canon area? I know there were a few minor things, but what really bothered you? I LOVED ENT and noticed slight variations from some things that had been mentioned in Trek before, but they never bothered me much. This new movie bothers me wayyy more with the way it just sends us into another universe.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
The reason people didn't like it was because (in my opinion) it was full of cliche stereotypes that were making fun of themselves and weren't realizing it. You had a formula that had been done 3 times before. A ship exploring new worlds and new civilizations. A captain who's brash and oh so Kirk-like. A Vulcan (which wasn't Spock). Nothing was new or fresh about the series. They threw in sex to get ratings, nothing more, and in the end it didn't work. With the despicable financial crush of Nemesis at the box office people weren't interested in the show.

Ratings and viewers dropped, advertisement of the show was limited and it aired on UPN...a station which ended up being shut down immediately after Enterprise was cancelled. Star Trek was a dying franchise and Enterprise brought nothing we hadn't seen before. Only when it was too late was when Enterprise seemed to find somewhat of a foothold. Season 4 was the best season.

Ultimately the biggest problem was, here you had a show which was taking place 100 hundred years before a ship and crew people actually cared about. The missions of TOS (bad or good) were and are cherished by fans old and young. Enterprise then came in and on several occasions tried to re-write or come up with explanations that altered that show we all equally cared about. No one cared or cares about the people who came before Kirk and Spock. Star Trek very much is...Kirk and Spock. When Star Trek began to steer further and further away from that it was lost.

Ronald D Moore said it best while talking about prequel or sequel shows. He said "you don't try and use the same formula" meaning, coming up with something fresh in a franchise is the best way to go. It keeps the viewer more in-tuned. The predictable becomes the un-predictable.
So in short, the show sucked because it was too much like TOS, not TOS and unlike TOS. That's the most empty critique usually aimed at ENT, complaining at the same time that things are similar (the troika) and different (e.g. an unexperienced and excited captain).
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think that Enterprise just followed to closely to an inferior Trek show named Voyager. Too much Trek in too short a time span. It's a shame because I would gladly have taken seven season of Enterprise over the seven of Voyager or even DS9.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Vice Admiral

UPN KILLED ENT!!!!

I think that was the MAJOR variable. Lots of people I know could not get UPN in their areas and were Trek fans that wanted to watch it. I know "lots" of people to me is just a handful, but I wonder where else this was a problem and if it could be a reason ratings were as low as they were. I am NOT ignoring the people that watched it and tuned out because they didn't like it!