The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > one more season?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Lieutenant

Default one more season?

Something I've been thinking about, out of any series if you could add another season, picking up where the final episode left off, what series would you pick and why?
Here's my thoughts on each one...
TNG- Series built strongly, each season seemed to be better than the next. However they'd been out exploring strange new worlds for 7 years. All Good Things was a great episode and a fitting tribute to the series. Not much would have changed in the format of the show, an 8th season would have likely been more exploring of strange new worlds... my last pick for an extra season.
DS9- Series picked up steam after Dominion War started. Most loose ends wrapped up nicely, especially during the last 5-6 episodes. The entire 7th season led up to 'What You Leave Behind,' so ended decently. Possibly interesting storylines involving rebuilding of Federation, kicking the Dominion out of the AQ, rebuilding of Cardassia. Maybe even religious upheaval on Bajor after people hear what a conniving wh0re their Kai was...

VOY- Probably my #1 pick (even though I liked TNG and DS9 better overall) First of all, I hated Endgame. It seemed so sloppily put together, like B&B looked at their calendar one day and said "****, we've only got 2 episodes left, we gotta get these guys home!" and so they take every plot device from previous episodes (mainly the Borg and Time Travel) and paste together the episode. I thought having VOY in the AQ for one season would have been pretty cool. Lots of character development possible as everyone reconnects with their families and loved ones after 7 years, what happens to the Marquis crewmembers? And also, Harry Kim could finally get a damn promotion...

Now I know fans of ENT are going to talk about how they got **** on and deserve a 6th and 7th season, but other than the crappy abrupt ending in season 5 I haven't watched enough of ENT to really form an opinion. I'm curious to hear your guy's thoughts... Same with people that watched TOS.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Enterprise didn't have the ratings to deserve another season and Frankly Voyager barely had the ratings but it definitely needed another Season because that's when the Trials should have started. The Borg Threat should have been amplified and the Attack on the Federation real. Coming home should have been just the begining.

What's disappointing is that after Star Trek's Best Series premier Voyager actually ends with what has to be Trek's worse Series Finale...nah that Belongs to Enterprise now but it's real close. So after huge failure finale's of course you want to see more...you want to see it done right.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Federation Councillor

DS9 left the Trek universe with a much different Alpha Quadrant landscape than when it began - there was a lot of fertile storytelling soil there for another season. It's my number 1 pick.

Voyager ended the way we knew it would 7 years earlier. It's story was about the journey home and without a fundamental shift in the series' premise it had no-where left to go.

TNG had become too tech-based in it's plots - it likely would have just been more of the same.

ENT - never saw enough to be very bothered.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Commander

TNG - Was all good but quality had definitely peaked and I think part of it's success was due to it going out on a high rather then risking it getting stale.

DS9 - I think another series would have been interesting, but after all the epic events of seasons 6 and 7 I think it would have been hard to top and keep things exciting, another season would probably be a bit of an anti-climax, half the cast would have been gone or recurring characters which wouldn't be great.

VOY - I agree with what everyone's said about voyager and Endgame, sloppily ended with no real legacy or change, had random character development thrown in at the last minute and was a complete rehash. I think Michael Piller left the show after being unhappy about how nothing seemed to be changing with the crew and ship, he wanted it to get more damaged as the show run. So I think scrap endgame, season 8 is Year of Hell ending with getting home, with one massive arc.

Ent - After Manny Coto got the ball rolling on Ent I started really enjoying it, I really wish there'd been a 5th season. Saquist is right, ratings didn't warrant it but I think we've all missed out because of it.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
Something I've been thinking about, out of any series if you could add another season, picking up where the final episode left off, what series would you pick and why?
Here's my thoughts on each one...
TNG- Series built strongly, each season seemed to be better than the next. However they'd been out exploring strange new worlds for 7 years. All Good Things was a great episode and a fitting tribute to the series. Not much would have changed in the format of the show, an 8th season would have likely been more exploring of strange new worlds... my last pick for an extra season.
DS9- Series picked up steam after Dominion War started. Most loose ends wrapped up nicely, especially during the last 5-6 episodes. The entire 7th season led up to 'What You Leave Behind,' so ended decently. Possibly interesting storylines involving rebuilding of Federation, kicking the Dominion out of the AQ, rebuilding of Cardassia. Maybe even religious upheaval on Bajor after people hear what a conniving wh0re their Kai was...

VOY- Probably my #1 pick (even though I liked TNG and DS9 better overall) First of all, I hated Endgame. It seemed so sloppily put together, like B&B looked at their calendar one day and said "****, we've only got 2 episodes left, we gotta get these guys home!" and so they take every plot device from previous episodes (mainly the Borg and Time Travel) and paste together the episode. I thought having VOY in the AQ for one season would have been pretty cool. Lots of character development possible as everyone reconnects with their families and loved ones after 7 years, what happens to the Marquis crewmembers? And also, Harry Kim could finally get a damn promotion...

Now I know fans of ENT are going to talk about how they got **** on and deserve a 6th and 7th season, but other than the crappy abrupt ending in season 5 I haven't watched enough of ENT to really form an opinion. I'm curious to hear your guy's thoughts... Same with people that watched TOS.
I would love to have seen a fifth season of ENT!!! Shran, my favorite alien, was going to be cast as a regular if there had of been a season 5
Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Enterprise didn't have the ratings to deserve another season and Frankly Voyager barely had the ratings but it definitely needed another Season because that's when the Trials should have started. The Borg Threat should have been amplified and the Attack on the Federation real. Coming home should have been just the begining.

What's disappointing is that after Star Trek's Best Series premier Voyager actually ends with what has to be Trek's worse Series Finale...nah that Belongs to Enterprise now but it's real close. So after huge failure finale's of course you want to see more...you want to see it done right.
I agree on the Ent having the worse ending, it should have been an ENT ending, not a TNG one, the cast feels the same way too. But I completely disagree about the Voyager ending, I think that was the best ending of all the series! I love the way Admiral Janeway came back to help and we got to hear about all the things that would of happened if Captian Janeway had of waited. As far as Ent not deserving a season 5, I think they should have, in fact, ENT had more viewers than TOS did in any of it's seasons. There were still over 2million viewers tuning in to ENT when the axe fell I wasn't one of them. I didn't become a fan until 2 years after Ent went off the air! Maybe if I had of been there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Lieutenant

TOS never had a series finale. It just ended (because of cancellation). Now we have the movies. I guess if you wanted to think of it this way. ST:VI was the series finale for TOS. The ship was decommissioned, the crew was moving on. It was a fitting end to the series.

But at the time TOS ended in '69 you'd think that Gene would of had a heads up that his show was going to end soon. Considering each of the three seasons was on borderline cancellation until the studio had enough and did it for season three.

If things were different. It would of been interesting to see how they might of ended the series on TV in '69. With a proper finale, not just a cut off. Opinions anyone?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
TOS never had a series finale. It just ended (because of cancellation). Now we have the movies. I guess if you wanted to think of it this way. ST:VI was the series finale for TOS. The ship was decommissioned, the crew was moving on. It was a fitting end to the series.

But at the time TOS ended in '69 you'd think that Gene would of had a heads up that his show was going to end soon. Considering each of the three seasons was on borderline cancellation until the studio had enough and did it for season three.

If things were different. It would of been interesting to see how they might of ended the series on TV in '69. With a proper finale, not just a cut off. Opinions anyone?
I would have loved for there to have been a fitting ending for TOS. If you read the book Best Destiny, it picks up just after they were ordered to go to be decomissioned. It was one of the recommended books by Orci.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Enterprise all the way. Only series to capture the spirit of the original and get back to the nitty gritty of space travel and what's out there.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Vice Admiral

For sure ENT should have had another season, or three!! Too many Trek fans shunned it because they were hung up on perceived "cannon" issues. Then after it goes off the air for lack of ratings they caught a few reruns and got hooked!! The poor writing argument is BS. ALL the shows had lots of poor writing and hokey-ness, especially in their first season or two. ENT died because it was on UPN and because too many fans didn't give it a chance.