The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What are you doing in the Trek world?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Ensign

I just watched Star Trek VI DVD the other night for the first time in a long time. What a great movie! I was surprised to see that Meyer added in some minor inserts of all of the folks who conspired to kill Gorkon. Cartwright, Chang, Nanclus. I know it wasn't on the original release of the film. Cool stuff!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty971 View Post
I just watched Star Trek VI DVD the other night for the first time in a long time. What a great movie! I was surprised to see that Meyer added in some minor inserts of all of the folks who conspired to kill Gorkon. Cartwright, Chang, Nanclus. I know it wasn't on the original release of the film. Cool stuff!
You know, I watched that not too long ago myself. I like the inserts you're talking about. Pretty cool. Star Trek VI is my favorite of all the Trek movies. TWOK comes in a very close second. But there has always been one little thing about STVI that has bothered me for years. And I thought they would fix it in the special edition DVD, but they didn't. It's the line from Kirk's log when he gets to his quarters on the Enterprise. He says

"I've never trusted Klingons. And I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."

Then, at his trial, an exerpt from his log is used against him. It is supposed to be the same line he used on the ship when Valeris was standing outside his door recording him. But it's different. It goes like this.

"I've never trusted Klingons. And I never will. I've never been able to forgive them for the death of my boy."

See? That has bugged the heck outta me for years! Call me crazy, but did anybody else notice that?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Well, let's see. I'm checking this board every single day. I can't get anything done at work because I'm doing this all day. I try to watch some Star Trek every day. 99% of my Trek intake is TOS. Mostly TOS-R. Also like to watch my edited "Menagerie" and "Trials and Tribble-Ations" episodes, among others on my PMP on the way to and from work. I can't watch a lot of Trek at home because my kids would rather watch Johnny Quest or Spongebob. Which is no problem for me. I think I enjoy them as much as the kids do! But I try to watch some movies every so often. My son and I sat down and watched "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" last weekend. And believe it or not, his eyes were glued to the screen through both movies and he wanted to watch them again! Granted, he's 4. But still. And that's about it. Just patiently waiting for the movie to come out.
Last Summer, 3 of my 8 grandkids were visiting and they wanted to watch something on my bigscreen, IN my 10 Forward room. I popped in Generations and they were glued to the screen! My 11 year old grand daughter said it was "interesting" while the 8 year old twin grandsons, were completely blown away! They now look for Trek on TV!!! Yet another Generation of Trekkies!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Yes and the close ups of Kirk & McCoy were added to that DVD as well.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Well, let's see. I'm checking this board every single day. I can't get anything done at work because I'm doing this all day.
LOL This movie must be our supervisors' worst nightmare. There's no better way to ensure that your Star Trek fan employee does nothing useful at work.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Commander

Quote:
I remember being SO bummed that the home video version when it came out wasn't the same as the version that was shown in theatres.

The added footage on the home video version when it came out totally changes the movie and takes a good movie and makes it even better. I liked TUC when I saw it on opening night. I *loved* it when I bought the VHS.

Even the assassination attempt scene---it completely changes the tone and scope of the ending of the film.

It should have been released that way.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
I remember being SO bummed that the home video version when it came out wasn't the same as the version that was shown in theatres.

The added footage on the home video version when it came out totally changes the movie and takes a good movie and makes it even better. I liked TUC when I saw it on opening night. I *loved* it when I bought the VHS.

Even the assassination attempt scene---it completely changes the tone and scope of the ending of the film.

It should have been released that way.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the movie in the theatre. What was different about the assassination scene?????
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

West was not in the theatre version. I neither saw the movie in the cinema but when it aired on TV, they only showed the theatre version so I was quite surprised when I bought the VHS and saw the new scenes with West.
As RedShirt has said, the movie is much better with West in it.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Vice Admiral

When I saw it on TV I noticed that West wasn't in it. I had already seen the VHS version at that time and I just thought that the scene had been cut out for TV. Cool.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Ensign

For the last two weeks, I have been obsessing about the movie and spending entirely too much time on various boards. Currently, I am trying to do some therapy writing to help myself get over the traumas this new Abramsverse is giving me and to try to come to terms with things I know are going to happen and I don't want to, before I see the movie opening day.

- Martin Luther King Jr.