The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Abramsprise: What's Wrong With It?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Default Abramsprise: What's Wrong With It?

Hi everybody! I know there's a "Positive Thoughts of the New/Old Enterprise" and there are a lot of comments on there. Not all positive. So, out of respect for those who like the design, I thought I'd start a thread about what people don't like about the Abramsprise. That way we don't have to harsh their mellows, so to speak.

We can come to this thread and complain all day about how the nacelles are rediculously large and hideous. Or about how the saucer is rediculously huge and looks too much like the one from the TMP Enterprise. We can also share our collective dislike of the strange proportions Mr. Chruch has seen fit to bestow upon our beloved Enterprise. Among other design flaws.

We can also share our love for the timeless beauty and graceful simplicity of the original Matt Jeffries design without bothering those who actually think the original is "old fashioned".

Just to be clear: This is not a joking matter. I mean no disrespect to those who like the Abramsprise. But I do not like it. And instead of arguing with those who do, I wanted a free space for the rest of us to discuss what we think is wrong with that ship.

So, if anyone would like to comment, cool. If not, cool too. Let the discussion commence!!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Lieutenant

Zim, I may not like what you say or agree with your opinions, but i like your style.
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Commander

Here Zim, I'll give you an anthem for your topic.
(BTW: Your idea sounds familiar to me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Tf2lQvDz0

Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Ensign

Parts of it I like, and parts of it I don't. I wish it was slightly less organic looking. It looks more like a sculpture than a piece of space hardware. Some of the proportions are also off compared to what we are used to.

However, I do like some things, like the nacelles. My biggest problem with it is the secondary hull. It's just shaped strange.

I would have much preferred Gabe Koerner's Enteprise over Church's.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i think the neck is set a little too far back, and the nacelles not far enough apart. i like it, but it could be better...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
i think the neck is set a little too far back, and the nacelles not far enough apart. i like it, but it could be better...
There are things I like about it and things I don't.

At first I thought the neck was too far back, but then I took a good look at the Jefferies' Enterprise. The neck on that one is also set back pretty far compared to the ST: TMP refit Enterprise, so the new Enterprise doesn't seem that bad to me on this detail.

I'm not a big fan of the secondary hull.

I agree completely about the nacelles not being far enough apart.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Broadway View Post
Parts of it I like, and parts of it I don't. I wish it was slightly less organic looking. It looks more like a sculpture than a piece of space hardware. Some of the proportions are also off compared to what we are used to.
Actually I didnt think about that. Organic designs can look really good but each area needs to be part of a unified whole. A single organic yet complex structure. I'm not sure this kind of design allows for that beyond a certain point. This one is certainly quite good but, I hate to say it, at its basic core there are some aspects of kit bashing when you have a saucer connected to a big tube connected to two other long tubes. Of course some people are really really good at kit bashing and the different parts fade together. The few Ive done generally look like they came out of a junk yard.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalFrontier? View Post
Zim, I may not like what you say or agree with your opinions, but i like your style.
Totally agree, TFF. Have at it ZIM!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Admiral

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it looks too clean. I much prefer the Kelvin, now that's a space ship! The new Enterprise just doesn't look like it'd be even from the same movie as the Kelvin, which I guess is why it exists in an alternate timeline from the Kelvin.

Daniel Broadway brought up a great point, it does look more like a piece of sculpture than hardware. It's like an artist's interpretation of the original Enterprise, which was quite practical looking. I'm not saying this is bad or would not work for this movie Abrams is making but the new ship does not look as practical as the original design, the refit that is, which this ship seems to be based more so on than the original 1701 IMO.

The Kelvin on the other hand looks very practical, loaded with hardware and rough edges. The Kelvin rules!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 04-20-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Rear Admiral

Right on Zim...I am not here to comment on the N/O Enterprise. Htis thread is not on my ideaology. I just wanted to see the comments and tell you guys that you are a class act!

Metal Mouse...aka Capt. Mouse