The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Lens flares
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I haven't been "quiet" for over a year. No need to attack me.
Don't let him/her bother you man...

For over a year you have opened many topics for great discussions and debates.

We have to remember, as I do thanks to my slip up earlier this week, that we all have our own opinions to things. We just have to remember to be mature about it. Sadly, some do not.

But, I just have to say you do a great job here.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone_106 View Post
The rest of us will move forward with a new style, a new era and a fantastic new movie.

Be quiet.
Then again its a matter of whether or not such things are in your face or subtle enough to blend seemly into the movie. Of course I would prefer the latter but we shall see. Its the same with the shaky camera. Sometimes its forced so much and unnatural its painful. Other times its there but enhances the scene.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone_106 View Post
It sounds like you guys wont enjoy the movie so don't see it, and don't come here any more. Why bother your lives with this if its so annoying for you!? Seriously!
You must be very new to this forum

Thanks for your support, num nums!
Shaky cams and lens flares are completely unnatural. If I were really there, I wouldn't experience that.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Last edited by NCC-73515 : 04-20-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Whats the point of coming on here complaining about some thing like this, you cannot change it or do anything about it. Im not attacking anyone but merely suggesting that if its something which bothers you so much, dont go see it.
It wont stop the majority of people enjoying the movie or affect B.O. numbers in any appreciable way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Don't let him/her bother you man...

For over a year you have opened many topics for great discussions and debates.

We have to remember, as I do thanks to my slip up earlier this week, that we all have our own opinions to things. We just have to remember to be mature about it. Sadly, some do not.

But, I just have to say you do a great job here.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

You guys should read this on the making of the movie:
http://digitalcontentproducer.com/ca...420/index.html

I totally agree with JJs approach to shooting in Anamorphic 35MM it has a beautiful quality, realistic & rich and I think the lens flares are an offshoot of this. Given the fact there are a lot of light sources on the bridge and elsewhere in the movie it seems entirely appropriate for them to exist in the way they do..its not forced, its just an offshoot of the fact of having so much light around in the scenes.
http://digitalcontentproducer.com/ca...420/index.html

"there were a couple of visual systems that we committed to early on to make it seem realistic, including the use of lens flares—something that we became ridiculously obsessed with."

"Eventually, however, Abrams and Mindel decided the movie should be shot in the 35mm anamorphic 2.35:1 film format. Both men say that was the best way for them to end up with both an ultra-big-screen feel and the realistic, organic look they wanted for the Trek universe."

Now if you know more about movie making than JJ or his DOP then do speak up..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Got 19 tickets for the May 6 preview. Satisfied?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

niceeeee hope you enjoy it man!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm not sure what to think of that. Lens flare and star filters are often used as effects or for stylization (I've used it in my own limited experience with photography and video). Usually the intended effect is to convey a sense of softness and calming or a sense of something new and fresh depending on the context. Maybe JJ was trying to capture the newness aspect of the enterprise and the revitalization of the franchise. Even so, it is really easy to over use such effects. The key is if it's seamless and not detracting/unnoticeable. I don't ever remember noticing it in the preview till I saw this, but if others have noticed it (without watching it over and over again to find something) then that's over use. I'll have to see the movie before having a solid opinion on likeing it or not.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Another interesting quote

"The biggest innovation in shooting the movie may have been the most low-tech method employed by Mindel overall. That technique was the strategic plan to build camera lens flares into the photography. For a sci-fi space film—or any film these days—that aesthetic is extremely rare, since filmmakers usually battle to remove flares from their photography, rather than insert them. Abrams’ and Mindel’s obsession with lens flares, however, was part of a strategic vision for the photography. The technique is so prevalent that Abrams jokes he may have designed “a future in which you’ll have to wear shades.”"
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant

Getting on NCC?

Not cool. At all.

As far as lensflares go, anything in moderation is fine with me. I sure can handle that gimick (because thats what it is) much more then the "camera shake" cool in thing of 2007-2009. I have almost had to leave two movies to puke because of it. It's about the story, and that is what will ultimately make this a great movie or not. Now effects and gimickry may make a few bucks (heck we all like some effects), but it will not set it apart as a movie.

Good stories never get stale, while everyone is looking for the next great "effect".