The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Lens flares
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Seriously, get over it. Its a cool effect that adds to the realism and Im all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
http://timesonline.typepad.com/block...zz-review.html

Not good. They were already distracting in the short "Acting Captain" clip. An entire movie full of lens flares?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

I haven't been "quiet" for over a year. No need to attack me.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thats fine, if you don't like the style, you don't like it. What can we do about it? I doubt 99% of the people wanting to see this or who have seen it will be bothered by it. This is the first review I heard mention anything about all the others have been overwhelmingly positive thus far.
I'd be more concerned if the characters were done badly or the story sucked, whether or not the lens flares are the right color or realistic enough is really nitpicking at this point. We have an apparently AWESOME new star trek movie that re-invigorates the franchise with a director who seems to CARE about the characters..my god how rare is that among hollywood directors let alone most sci-fi movies. The last thing Im gonna worry or care about is the lens flares.

Bring your sunglasses then
Old 04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Commander

Lens flares are a very bad thing, just like that "it feels like being filmed by a constantly jumping amateur" other movies sometimes use a "cool" stylistic device.

Just imagine you are on the bridge as a captain and you get dazzled constantly by these stuped lights. Just like driving on a tight street in the night and all you can see are the headlights of the opposing traffic.

Though I think I can connive at the lens flares.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

huh? How does lens flares equate to a constantly jumping amateur?? That makes zero sense. The camera work appears to be pretty standard..not "BOURNE IDENTITY" handy cam jump cut edits. So I don't see the problem.
It sounds like you guys wont enjoy the movie so don't see it, and don't come here any more. Why bother your lives with this if its so annoying for you!? Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Lens flare are a very bad thing, just like that "it feels like being filmed by a constantly jumping amateur" in other movies.

Just remember you are on the bridge as a captain and you get dazzled constantly by these stuped lights. Just like driving on a tight street in the night and all you can see are the headlights of the opposing traffic.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

By the way try filming a bunch of lights with a camera and you will get lensflares..its just part of the universe we live in Im affraid. Like saying you dont wanna see the movie in color because its distracting?!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone_106 View Post
huh? How does lens flares equate to a constantly jumping amateur?? That makes zero sense. The camera work appears to be pretty standard
It's just a analogy. I compared the lens flares to the cameras other movies often are using. Because he moving camera are a little more common and known than the lens flares.

Both are stylistic devices that are modern, that should be "cool", but that are just stupid and annoying.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 04-20-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Ok, thats your personal opinion so either A: Dont see the movie & B: stop whining about it if you don't like it. Ignor it and see another movie like Transformers 2, Terminator 4 or Miley Cyrus?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
I compared the lens flares to the cameras other movies often are using.

Both are stylistic devices that are modern, that should be "cool", but that are just stupid and annoying.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone_106 View Post
Ok, thats your personal opinion so either A: Dont see the movie & B: stop whining about it if you don't like it. Ignor it and see another movie like Transformers 2, Terminator 4 or Miley Cyrus?!

The world isn't black and white
Only because I don't like 1 !! small stilistic device doesn't mean I dislike the movie. Probably I even don't recognize the lens flares when I watch it for the first time.

But only because I can't wait for the day I watch the movie for the first time, I don't have to say hurray to everything. It is a movie, not a religion.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 04-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

ok connive away in your own bedroom)
Thats cool, it a style and I think it adds a special quality to the light. I do photography part time as a hobby and capturing this feeling instead of the 'studio' lighting feel much much nicer IMHO more natural & realistic.