The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Do you think lucas will watch the new ST
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalarm View Post
I think the clone wars is just going over board. I think they made their point clear with Episode 2. Okay theres a war...whoopie. then they made the cartoon. and now with this movie its like "hey come on, lets show you other ways we won the war!"
The thing I like about the clone wars is that it sets up the camaraderie between Obiwan and Anikan, a friendship I never really saw out of the movies. It was more or less, okay they're good friends, I'll take your word for it, but I wanted to see that and they show it with the animated series. It actually improved Revenge of the Sith for me. With that context the movie makes more sense to me.

And also on a purely aesthetic level, it feels more like Star Wars. You see fighters that certainly look more like the prototypes of the rebel fighters from the original series and you see the bridges of the destroyers which look exactly like Empire Strikes Back. If he had that in the movie, that side of it, I think it would've married the two trilogies more smoothly. You know, that progression, Republic to Empire. It never gelled for me, but with the Clone Wars Animates Series, it gives you that.

Also the Jedi are not treated as invincible warriors. When I watch the new movies I think why do they need an army, these Jedi are doing fine taking on the whole galaxy by themselves! Anyway, it shows war, not just cool ninja moves with a light saber.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfanboy View Post
I've been wondering this but do you guys think that George Lucas will watch this? Yes I know ILM did the SFX, but still just wondering.
Sorry if this a repeat post, someone beat me to it. As you say, the special effects house responsible for Star Trek is Industrial Light and Magic. They're owned by Lucasfilm and were set up by George Lucas. I would think it fair to say he's almost certainly seen it. Spielberg was seen on set at one point too.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Federation Councillor

In terms of the original thread - I agree that Lucas has probably already seen the film, since his guys are doing the effects and Ben Burtt has done the sound.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Vice Admiral

This Is Like TMP Allllll over again. Star Wars makes big film.. (Clone Wars). Paramount doesn't know what to do. Uses Trek. Gets money.. Big war. Yeah.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
This Is Like TMP Allllll over again. Star Wars makes big film.. (Clone Wars). Paramount doesn't know what to do. Uses Trek. Gets money.. Big war. Yeah.
I think the timing had more to do with the fact that sci-fi and fantasy are "in" again. If they're going to do a Star Trek movie, now's the time.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego_mcCoy View Post
he'll probily plot a new starwars movie to kill the new trek franchise! <>w<> mehehahahahha!
No, he will just release his 342nd boxed set of the series in BluRay with some added feature no one has - and everyone will break down the doors to buy it...
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Lieutenant

Considering ILM is doing the effects, I'm sure George is waiting for his big check to come in the mail. I'm sure he will see and probably enjoy the film. The effects look amazing from the clips I've seen!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

If George releases the original trilogy on Blu-Ray....there'd better be one thing on it.....all the deleted scenes from Episode IV. (especially Biggs and Luke at Tosche Station)

Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Commander

As far as I know George Lucas is a trekkie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookieepedia
Lucas considers himself a "Trekkie" and has cited Star Trek as his inspiration for working with sci fi. He also finds hypothetical "war" scenarios (cf. Star Trek vs. Star Wars) distasteful.
So maybe he is watching it.

Besides do you remember Shatners speech when George Lucas got the AFI Life Achievement Award. I rolled on the floor laughing.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Some people fail to remember that Star Trek is over 10 years older than Star Wars, and clearly was an obvious influence on Star Wars.

Nice work pointing that out Trekkie.

I think personally think that George Lucas is beating the timeline inbetween episode 3 and 4 to death. There's been 5 or 6 major video games released that are set in that time period. A movie set in that time period. a 2D animated series set in that period, and now a 3D animated series set in that time period. And now a live action series during that time period is in the works.

As is stands, there is more material bridging the two trilogies than the trilogies themselves.

I think he's seriously milking the cow to death and beating it like a dead horse. I want him to do something else like go WAAAAAY back in time to the Old Republic, or go into the future and show the progression of the New Republic after the fall of The Empire.

And he'd have more freedom and less contraints if he did either. There's only so much that can be told between ep 3 and ep 4 before it starts to get old or before they have to resorting to breaking some canon.

Which is why I think the time travel plot point was brilliant work for the new Star Trek movie. Noone has ever used the time travel in this way before to completely tell the story of another universe set in the Star Trek multiverse. I thought it was ballsy and quite original.

Despite what some people say about how it has been done to death. Let's be honest here, they've never used an alternate universe as the set for an entire new set of movies before. I know a lot of you are gonna disagree with me on this so at least be gentle.