The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The Proposed American bullet train
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default The Proposed American bullet train

President Obama announced yesterday his intent to begin a high speed rail system for the US... (Only about 40 years behind most other technological countries...) I just keep wondering what an American bullet train should look like... I keep thinking the stations should be built underground... you know, something like....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub shuttle.jpg (60.0 KB, 11 views)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Lieutenant

eh highspeed subway?

i was thinking more some underground some on rails up high.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
President Obama announced yesterday his intent to begin a high speed rail system for the US... (Only about 40 years behind most other technological countries...) I just keep wondering what an American bullet train should look like... I keep thinking the stations should be built underground... you know, something like....
I understand women who ride those types of underground trains sometimes have more than one navel.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Ensign

Gone with the wind. Lol!!

Star Trek Voyager DVDI am back//Star Trek The Next Generation DVDman/woman-problem
Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Commander

By the time they get the bloody thing built it'll already be made obsolete by some better technology, and we'll have a intricate, complex, nation-wide system of high speed trains that nobody will ride. I love trains, I think some of them are the most beautiful vehicular conveyances that ever existed, but for all practical intents and purposes, they're an anachronism.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Lieutenant

hmmm.. what tech do you think will replace them? star trek style instantaneous transporters anyone?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post
hmmm.. what tech do you think will replace them? star trek style instantaneous transporters anyone?
Don't be ridiculous. Cheaper, greener, non-fossil fueled, shinier metal boxes than we drive now, that's what will replace them. People in America haven't been avid train riders for three quarters of a century. The toughest part of making something like this, will be convincing people to use the trains. There have been three attempts at this in my state over the last forty years, and every one of them have failed because people would rather drive.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

1) You're not going to get much better than Mag-Lev for transport. (Unless you have an "unobtainum" mine you'd like to tell us about...) They're electrically driven, and that electricity can come from anywhere, nuclear, solar, hydrogen, fusion...

2) People prefer to drive because gas is/was relatively cheap... wait until, thanks to competition with China, and a slowed supply due to heightened conflict in the middle east, gas hits $5.00 or $6.00 a gallon. (conservative estimates... it'll probably be worse.)

3) I don't know about you, but I would much rather go to cities in nearby states, or across country, by hopping a 200mph train, than wearing out my own car, and spending 3X as much in gas to get there.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Well, they will get some over paid group of union labor to do the work, so it will take 10 times as long as it should to build it, thanks to at least 2 labor strikes and pure laziness.

The rail system will be controled by a Mircosoft Operating system, so it will be down for repairs 60% of the time.

In all, the high speed rail system will go way over budget, not work most of the time, and will still be about 10 years behind every other country.
Much like our 3G network for wireless phones.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Wow. That's the old Star Trek optimisim I like to see so much!