The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Opinions of The Jurassic Park Series
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Alright I'm just gonna say it. The second movie was a disaster. Absolutely horrible.

For the ones who read the book, it wasn't even the same plot. It even deleted the villains and made new ones. This was actually a very bad choice even from a marketing point of view. How it worked in the books was, Dodgeson was the corporate head in the first book who set the attempted theft in motion, he got Nedry to do his thing. This was in the first movie, right? Good.

Okay, the second book, takes the Dodgeson character from the first book and has him as the main villain for "The Lost World". Good idea. For sequel value it's good to have recognizable faces from the first book. This was a good touch. What does the movie do? No! F*** that! We're gonna put in new characters no one cares about.

There's so many more reasons why the second movie was buttacular, but I won't get into it.

I will say this...

...here it comes...

The third movie was actually better than the second. The third movie was actually closer to "The Lost World" book than "The Lost World" movie. That's sad. That being said, the third movie was actually okay. Not great, but okay. Nothing beats the first.

As far as the books... Awesome. Here's something I'm a little ashamed to admit: I've read the first book 7 times and the second book 6 times. Why? I think it was because that JP was the first book I ever read that wasn't based on a movie. Because it made me feel smart when I read it, like hey, I know sh*t now! Really because I was in sixth grade when I read JP (high school when I read LW) and makes me feel like a kid again.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
As far as the books... Awesome. Here's something I'm a little ashamed to admit: I've read the first book 7 times and the second book 6 times. Why? I think it was because that JP was the first book I ever read that wasn't based on a movie. Because it made me feel smart when I read it, like hey, I know sh*t now! Really because I was in sixth grade when I read JP (high school when I read LW) and makes me feel like a kid again.
I wouldn't be ashamed Miguel, they're great books, so are Congo, Sphere, Timeline and Eaters of the Dead but the movies are certainly a different story.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Just requested Jurassic Park and Lost World on PaperbackSwap. Been so long since I read the first, I figured I'd get both.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Lieutenant

I never could get into jurassic park... dinosaurs where a big turnoff for me as a kid, very strange. I'll have to delve into this train of thought a little more... see where it goes.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I absolutely LOVED the first two, and HATED the third.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Commander

I quite liked watching the movies. (okay #3 maybe not so much) I guess they're all right if you watch them pretty much for what they are.

Still amuses me to see that sauropod eating gum trees at the beginning of Jurassic Park (eucalyptus, to you foreign types) especially since a) broad leafed trees didn't exist at the time, and b) gums are actually quite toxic.

But that's by the by.

One thing I did notice from the beginning - the kids in the first movie were actually quite good. Unusual that kids in a movie should be better actors than the adults!!
Loved it when that guy got "caught out" on the loo.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

the first 2 where based on the books the third wasnt
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Federation Councillor

I never read the books so can only comment on the films.

The first one is by far the best - the slow build up to the reveal, the expert handling of the action sequences (the rain-soaked build up, the lamb, the T-Rex, the cars being crushed with the kids inside etc), and packs a couple of good sequences. I always felt it ended a bit abruptly - with just Richard Attenborough finding a Jeep and then the helicopter being there.

The second suffers from some bloating and 'how can...?' style questions, but still has some tense parts (I mean, Julianne Moore on the cracking glass panel?), I even kinda like the San Diego stuff and the dock. It is a bit silly, but I still enjoy it.

The third is just too brief and doesn't really have a lot of memorable moments. I've only seen it about twice, I think.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Admiral

Was it San Diego? I thought it was L.A. Well it's been awhile since I've seen Lost World. Yeah, the glass panel sequence was nice and it was very similar in the book, that part, if memory serves.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, pretty sure it was - the Dinosaur show was to be alongside San Diego Zoo or something like that.

courtesy of Saquist