The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Opinions of The Jurassic Park Series
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Opinions of The Jurassic Park Series

Just looking to gauge everybody's opinions on the Jurassic Park series of movies and even the two novels.

I'd rank the movies in order of release in terms of how good they are. The series got progressively worse as it went on. As for the books, I love the first one and have not read The Lost World.

Discuss.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Same with me. Even bad movies (Independence Day or the sequel to Jurassic Park) become watchable when Jeff Goldblum is in it.
I like Independence Day, but I agree with you. He's a damn good actor.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The first film was science fiction...
The second movie was just a "bandwagon" type sequel...
The third film was just a monster movie...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
The third film was just a monster movie...
And a very poor monster movie at that...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Vice Admiral

The first was too "Spielberg'-ish... in terms of his formula that is the same in many of his movies. Too much "E.T." syndrome in this case so it would appeal to kids. When he makes movies for adults they can be very good. In this case it has a kids-movie feel to it and the book has a more adult tone. However, for what it is the first movie is pretty good... again as a kids movie but with some admittedly scary parts.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

(Remembering the lawyer being eaten whole... the bloody arm in the generator shack, the goat being eaten...) A kid's movie, eh?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
(Remembering the lawyer being eaten whole... the bloody arm in the generator shack, the goat being eaten...) A kid's movie, eh?
These days? Oh yeah. But I dont mean 4 year olds. Maybe preteens or a little younger. To me thats a kid.

Star Wars had some pretty scary stuff... including monsters eating people whole and such... but they are at their core kids movies in the spirit of Saturday afternoon movie serials. Just very expensive ones. Good ol George said so himself. I cant comment on the job he did but at least he was honest hehe.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Admiral

As for the movies, the first was definitely the best, tight movie, the second was okay for the first half and then just got ridiculous with the t-rex in LA and Goldbloom's kid doing karate moves on the raptors. Remember how dangerous the raptors were played up in the first one. Hell they didn't even show them until towards the end of the movie! They showed all sorts of dinosaurs but kept those raptors secret. Always talked about, never shown.

The third movie was just bad, if felt like a Jurassic Park theme ride at a park, which would've probably been better. One part that did crack me up is that moment when the raptor got stuck in the door and couldn't figure out how to get past it to the people and he looks up and finds away to climb over and they play this 2001 sounding chanting music. Well, that cracked me up anyway.

As for the books, they're both good and very different from the movies. The Lost World was much better than the movie IMO and Jurassic Park the book is on equal footing with the movie yet much darker.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The first movie is one of my all-time favorite films. I recently saw it in a theater for the first time. Crazy awesome. The second two are alright, but nowhere near as good as the first. All of the rumors I've heard about the upcoming fourth film make me feel like the canon-addicts must feel about Trek The books are also on my favorite book list, especially The Lost World.