The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If it was an option would you cryogenically freeze an unborn baby?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

This would have to be done after ferilization and I'd guess somewhere between the 4th and 8th month of pregnancy, a very viable fetus, just cryogenically frozen.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfanboy View Post
Here is a answer. DON'T HAVE SEX
I wonder why no one else thought of that? Oh, wait a minute, they have, and they teach it in schools. I wonder why teenagers keep getting pregnant?

The plain truth is the ideal situation is HARDLY the situation in reality. Contraception use obviously is the next logical course of action to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Even then it is not 100% and you always have the people that were not prepared and still had sex anyway.

I think the freezing idea would be great. I think it could actually end the abortion debate if it were possible today.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-17-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Lieutenant Commander

My obstetrician told me to give up caffeine when I was pregnant because developing infants are so sensitive to the surroundings. Studies have proven that fetuses can recognize their mother's voice moments after birth. Clearly, freezing them is a pretty bad idea. The possiblity of birth defects would make it quite immoral.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
My obstetrician told me to give up caffeine when I was pregnant because developing infants are so sensitive to the surroundings. Studies have proven that fetuses can recognize their mother's voice moments after birth. Clearly, freezing them is a pretty bad idea. The possiblity of birth defects would make it quite immoral.
I think we all acknowledge that today's technology is nowhere near being able to safely perform this freezing. The point is IF the technology existed would you consider it? I think the idea of a woman that finds herself pregnant at a point in her life where she may otherwise consider an abortion actually being able to save that life and giver birth to it later is one that everyone should embrace. I think it would nearly end the current controversy.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Lieutenant

It would have more benefits then just allowing mothers to postpone the interuption of their life. as has already been brought up: 1) seed ships 2) pregnancy for women who are unable to naturally get pregnant 3) if theres ever a major disaster that wipes out a huge portion of the population you have all these fertilized eggs waiting for the right conditions to develop, allowing you to kickstart the population and not loose valuable genetic material.

i'm almost certain there are more.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Vice Admiral

No. Why? Practice birth control until you're ready to spawn.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

sraviik. The "zygote" bank is an interesting idea... Maybe sometime in the future, we might do just that, similar to what we've already done with the flora and foodstuff seed bank located above the arctic circle... an "ace in the hole" in case of some natural (or man made) disaster that wipes out a majority of the human race... an "ark" against possible extinction.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
No. Why? Practice birth control until you're ready to spawn.
And if birth control fails and you are still not ready to spawn? I'm not debating abortion, but this as of yet uninvented technology could provide a nice alternative.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
And if birth control fails and you are still not ready to spawn? I'm not debating abortion, but this as of yet uninvented technology could provide a nice alternative.
But what a slippery slope..... let's say a bunch of people DID store their embryos. Then those people all died in a volcano eruption or something. What happens to the embryos then? Does the government or a private corporation own them? I can't see that having a happy ending for anyone, unless you're the government with a whole bunch of Secret Super Soldiers.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think we all acknowledge that today's technology is nowhere near being able to safely perform this freezing. The point is IF the technology existed would you consider it? I think the idea of a woman that finds herself pregnant at a point in her life where she may otherwise consider an abortion actually being able to save that life and giver birth to it later is one that everyone should embrace. I think it would nearly end the current controversy.
And I hope the technology never comes into exsistance. I don't think the idea of freezing a baby is any superior to the idea of aborting it. Both are monsterous. Just considering the animal testing to perfect such an abberation is enough to give me nightmares.

But... that is a really good hook for a sci-fi/horror novel!