The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If it was an option would you cryogenically freeze an unborn baby?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Question If it was an option would you cryogenically freeze an unborn baby?

Assuming you could safely revive it and continue a pregnancy later in life when it was a more convenient time for you/your family? Kind of just put it 'on hold' if need be? This is a technology that I think would will be common place in the future and honestly I'm surprised we've never seen this in any of the Star Treks... ?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Here is a answer. DON'T HAVE SEX
Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah but in the real world people have sex... It's easy to say 'hold off' when people get married at 17 or 18 years old but its a lot harder when people get married in the mid-to-late twenties, or later... and statistics show those marriages tend to last longer so they are probably healthier relationships.

In the star trek world, like any 'military' situation you have young men and women in close quarters there will no doubt be lovin' going on... now we can assume they have 'perfect' birth control on the future but there will always be the case where someone didn't think they were going to need it and someone beomes pregnant at a time that is very bad for their future life plans.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Another idea for "Freezing" would be instead of an abortion you could maybe "Freeze" The embryo and then if some one could carry a baby but not get pregnant you could transfer it to that woman.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I didn't want to go down the abortion route because it was specifically mentioned in the forum rules not to post topics like abortion- so please don't misinterpret my post- this wouldn't be an abortion it would simply be freezing a normal fetus and the original mom carrying it to term at a more convienient point of her life.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Actually, this has been an idea that's been rattling around in science fiction for quite some time. Since it's far, far easier to freeze and revive human zygotes (fetilized ova) than it is adults, some engineers have suggested the idea of the "seed ship." A slower than light vessel that would make its way to a target star, evaluate any planets there for human colonization, then begin the automated gestation of a population. The kids would be brought up by robots and A.I., until they reach maturity, then turned loose on the worlds outside. The advantage of this approach is that you don't have lug anywhere near as much life support mass across the interstellar gulf... it also increases the length of mission time... Literally, you have all the time in the 'verse to get where you want to go. Vitrified zygotes can remain viable for eons.

See: "Songs of a Distant Earth" by Arthur C. Clarke
"Titan A.E."
"Scortched Earth" episode of Stargate: SG1

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.

Last edited by FanWriter45 : 04-17-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Im not missunderstanding your post but I was thinking if it could be done. I was think that it would be a second use for the technology to avoid abortions. (Sorry if Im over stepping Board rules)
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Seems like a perfect plan, no way the children learning from the robots will think to question their own existance and resent the society that basically made them slaves.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Or, how about this for an ethical quandry... save the aborted fetus, and just clone it when you are ready? Basically it would be a "do over" pregancy... but, would you be actually killing a human baby? I mean, you still end up with the same person, from an undeveloped embryo...

(shrug) There are a lot of details here that would have to be adressed... Are you talking about stopping the inital pregancy before the fertilized egg reaches the womb? Are you talking about stopping the pregnancy during the first trimester? Are we keeping the original embryo intact, or cloning it? Original mother, or a different mother? Would such a proceedure be classified as an abortion, or a "suspension"? Would you be able to get around abortion laws by simply doing a suspension, with no intent to ever re-initiate?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.