The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Let's talk about Ben Sisko
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
* What do you think about his role as the Emissary?
* Was he better with hair or without??
* Did you like Avery Brooks' acting?
* Was he good in the "main" role on DS9??
* What do you think of The Sis-ko in general?

hmm... I think this ought to be interesting.
1. His role as the Emissary was essential to the seven year arc of the series. All of that awkwardness and uncomfortability built up to the finale and it played out very well.

2. Sisko without hair. Definitely.

3. Yes, Avery Brooks is an outstanding actor. While some have commented that he over acted, the truth is, more often than not Sisko was very restrained---especially the first 3-4 seasons. Certainly, his cadence would change when he was angry or passionate, but overall I think it was a very even performance. There were times when Benjamin Sisko was downright pensive and conflicted---and you didn't see that as much with other Captains.

4. Without question. I can't think an actor who could have played Sisko better or with as much depth as Avery Brooks. He was the perfect choice.

5. The Sisko was the most well-rounded Captain in Star Trek to date. Widower, father, son, friend, Captain, Emissary...he was all of those things and I think that it's an amazing character.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
1. His role as the Emissary was essential to the seven year arc of the series. All of that awkwardness and uncomfortability built up to the finale and it played out very well.

2. Sisko without hair. Definitely.

3. Yes, Avery Brooks is an outstanding actor. While some have commented that he over acted, the truth is, more often than not Sisko was very restrained---especially the first 3-4 seasons. Certainly, his cadence would change when he was angry or passionate, but overall I think it was a very even performance. There were times when Benjamin Sisko was downright pensive and conflicted---and you didn't see that as much with other Captains.

4. Without question. I can't think an actor who could have played Sisko better or with as much depth as Avery Brooks. He was the perfect choice.

5. The Sisko was the most well-rounded Captain in Star Trek to date. Widower, father, son, friend, Captain, Emissary...he was all of those things and I think that it's an amazing character.
A big, hearty "+1" to everything you've just said there, RedShirtWalking!

Sisko is, without doubt, my favourite Captain from any of the Trek shows. And considering how much I like Picard (and indeed all of the others), that's no faint praise. Brooks was simply fabulous in the role, and really did make it his own. I actually really liked that he started out as a Commander who really didn't want to be posted to DS9, a surly, haunted misanthrope constantly battling his personal demons. We've never seen a Captain - or even a major character - have to climb such a hill before or since, and it was a total delight to see Brooks dive in and portray such a complicated character so perfectly.

It was a delight to see Sisko slowly but inevitably become attached to his new 'home' and develop into the leader he was destined to be before the events of Wolf 359, and he was at his best when his immense integrity was forced to make distasteful decisions to protect Bajor/the Federation/Starfleet/those he loved. His performance in episodes like In The Pale Moonlight is easily the best I've ever seen in episodic TV, let alone just Trek itself.

A massive thumbs up for Avery!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

quit talking about me. I am awesome though.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
quit talking about me. I am awesome though.
Arent you supposed to be in some other plane of existence instead of here? Did they kick you out for dressing up in cardboard boxes all the time?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Arent you supposed to be in some other plane of existence instead of here? Did they kick you out for dressing up in cardboard boxes all the time?
I can surf the interwebs and post stuff on forums here with the wormhole aliens. I'm just waiting for someone to lead me to my next fate! (Not Rick Berman, although I have nothing against him)