The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Cannon Question; Race and Relations In a Utopian Earth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Lieutenant

Default Cannon Question; Race and Relations In a Utopian Earth

Now, I love Trek, but theres something that has been bothering me.

If, the earth really were in a state of harmony, no poverty or war or hunger. It should be safe as well to assume that there is also a lack of racism.

If the earth had in fact done away with racism, there should be no problem with interracial marriages right? I may be wrong here, but I think.. that after 300+ years of complete and totall acceptance of interracial marriages there shouldn't really be anyone who is obviously a minority. Everyone would just be mixed right?

I understand that it'd be impossible for that to made in production, but as far as cannon goes ... I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on it.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

That would probably happen. In Britain the fastest growing ethic group is in fact mixed-race (I actually don't like the word race - we're all one race) due to 60% of black people being married to a non-black person. So you'd think everyone would become mixed at some point.

I'm not sure if it'll happen as soon as 300 years though. With different groups being mostly in different places it might take a while for everyone to become the same mix.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Commander

Just because there isn't racism doesn't mean that obvious race features, skin, yadda yadda... won't exist. You have a lot of things: attraction, emotion, culture, compatibility, everything like that. I mean, if I end up getting married to a caucasian woman, that isn't going to make me racist. It just means she is the woman I fell in love with. If I fall in love with a woman of a different race, then she would be the woman I fell in love with. Love is more complicated than that. I mean heck, in Star Trek, you have mixed SPECIES relationships.

Plus, you are also dealing with something that would also involve thousands of years of evolution...

Also, these are 20th and 21st centure actors... lol
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Just because there isn't racism doesn't mean that obvious race features, skin, yadda yadda... won't exist. You have a lot of things: attraction, emotion, culture, compatibility, everything like that. I mean, if I end up getting married to a caucasian woman, that isn't going to make me racist. It just means she is the woman I fell in love with. If I fall in love with a woman of a different race, then she would be the woman I fell in love with. Love is more complicated than that. I mean heck, in Star Trek, you have mixed SPECIES relationships.

Plus, you are also dealing with something that would also involve thousands of years of evolution...

Also, these are 20th and 21st centure actors... lol
I think you're right up to a point - it will take a while for the whole planet to become the same. With different countries having different ethic mixes, the mixed-race that evolves in country each will vary. So those will then have to mix to get one worldwide 'race'.

I'm not sure it'll take so long for it to happen in individual countries though look at the stat's - 60% of married black Brits are married to a non-black. And because of that, mixed-race is the fastest growing ethnic group in the UK and will be the second largest ethnic group in another 12 years - only white will be bigger. If current growth is maintained 30% of Brit's will be mixed-race in 2100.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Lieutenant

I see that not everyone would be mixed, but even so there should be ALOT more interracial people on the show... I dont think I can think of a single character that is mixed race.

Sure we have interspieces, half vulcan, half klingon, half ktarian.

but Mixed race humans? I cant think of a single one.

We've got pure scottish, pure irish, pure native american, pure black and a WHOOOOOLE lotta white folks running around. I understand that starfleet is based in America, so one could argue there would be less minorities then in europe.. but even in here in L.A white is quickly becoming the minority (less white people then mexican/black/asian/ect), why should they still be the majority the 24th century?

And this is NOT to say that star trek is not a progressive show, I admire their courage to have an interracial kiss in a time of violence and turbulence, having minorities in main character roles was very progressive. Also having a woman capitan is incredably forward.

But OCT, I would never imply that marrying someone of your own race would make you racist.. thats quite a leap from my original statment.

Last edited by RedAlertRiker : 02-14-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Commander

Riker:

You're right, it is quite a leap. But then again, there is that portion of Trekkies out there who take things to the extreme, and could have possibly interpreted that as a racist statment.

So, you're from LA huh?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Midshipman

You're forgetting World War 3. Alot of people died in that war. We have no idea what the percentages are from which race. And possibly the Eugenics War (although that war seems to have disappeared from Star Trek history). That war by it's very definition could have wiped out many people from different ethnicities in order to create a "master race".
Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Lieutenant

I would have to say with Roddenberry's vision of the original Star Trek there would have to be interracial relationships. I mean Star Trek did have the first interracial kiss on television. That should be telling you right there that Roddenberry supported the idea.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Commander

Makes perfect sense that people would be primarily of some kind of mixed heritage.

Many years ago, there were other races in Europe, being for example Latin, Germanic, Norse, Celtic et cetera.

All these were distinctly different people. But now they're all mixed together. Now the same thing is happening (albeit gradually) on a world scale.

Personally I reckon it would be interesting to have a few more non-American ethnic groups on Star Trek (other than aliens, of course). But I accept that ST is an American show and this is unlikely to happen.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think it would be a lot farther in the future that we as a people would be totally mixed. Wars are usually fought between cultures, and this can cause people to be very supportive of their race, and in the process it would slow down the mix.

If you throw in the space faring races that can breed with humans, it would really change things up. I think the timeline for a truly mixed human species would be 30+ century.