The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > G.I. Joe vs. T.A.:W.P.?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default G.I. Joe vs. T.A.:W.P.?

Okay, I just have to ask this, because it seems really, really obvious to me... but has anyone else gotten this weird sense of deja vu watching the "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" trailer... only the first time around, wasn't it done with puppets, and called "Team America: World Police?"

The similarities are pretty striking!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

You know, now that you mention it...they do look the same. Even more reason for me to wait for G.I. Joe on DVD.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The thing that worries me, jla... what if it turns out that "Team America" is the better movie? LOL

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Well one magazine - back when G.I Joe was first announced and Stephen Sommers was named as director, said the premise sounded '...just like Team America: World Police, without the sense of humour'.

It still kinda looks that way. I'm sure it will earn an absolute fortune.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not so sure it will make a lot of money...I'm not getting a sense of any buzz about G.I. Joe. It looks like a typical Sommers movie and that worries me greatly. It doesn't help that everything seems so dark compared to the toys and cartoons. Couldn't they have made it recognizable to even the youngest of fans? The only characters that resemble their original counterparts are Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes...bad move. Also, I'm sure it will have some of the stupid humor from the Mummy films, which is a turn off for pretty much everyone. One thing I'll give them credit for is The Baroness. She's a babe
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
The thing that worries me, jla... what if it turns out that "Team America" is the better movie? LOL
If Cobra Commander starts singing "I'm Ronery! Yes, I'm Ronery! I'm Ronery and Sadry Arone!" then all bets are off.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Vice Admiral

... or if they start discussing their relationship problems while blowing away the bad guys.... Let's all just hope they skip some parts of the "puppet love" scene when it comes to doing the live action version... I do NOT need to see some of that.... LOL

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Vice Admiral

Hey, I LIKED "Team America"!! I LMAO when I watched it. I need to buy the uncensored DVD of that flick!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Vice Admiral

You'll be soooorrrryyyy..... LOL (I have it, and I have to skip past a couple of scenes.) Eeeww... (and this is coming from the bi guy who tries to keep an open mind about such things)

Old 04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
You'll be soooorrrryyyy..... LOL (I have it, and I have to skip past a couple of scenes.) Eeeww... (and this is coming from the bi guy who tries to keep an open mind about such things)
I've already watched the uncensored version. I LOVED it!! I just don't own a copy of the movie. The "making love" scene had me rolling and laughing so hard I could barely breath!