The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Forus rules - clarification?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Well, I can see where you would be upset about that. So... you'll be leaving the forum soon then?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Well, I can see where you would be upset about that. So... you'll be leaving the forum soon then?
No, again...I don't know how many times I have to say this: I'm not upset.

I'm asking for clarification, that's all.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Just go with the flow, Scribbler. It really seems like you are asking the mods to crack down on the rule "bending" that occurs. I don't think that's very cool. If that is not your intention, why worry about it if you have never been warned or given "time off"??
I'm not asking the mods to crack down. I have been asking for clarification. I will be happy either way, just can't see the point participating if threads are deleted. I haven't been "warned" but I have been told by a mod that these topics are specifically banned by the forum rules - yet still they continue. I'm actually showing respect to the moderators and not ignoring the rules.

Last edited by Scribbler : 04-13-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
At this point it IS CLEAR what the rules are. It is EQUALLY CLEAR that those rules have been bent enough to allow for some polite discussion regarding morality, religion, politics, etc. This thread, and the "clarification" it asks for, comes across as more likely an attempt at asking for a crack down or more strict adherence to the rules. That sounds like crying to me. No offense.
Actually I'm in favour of free discussion. I'm afraid the rules are far from clear to me. I've been directly told by a mod that these topics are banned (not in the context of a warning). I have no problem with your rather combative response, (although I'm not sure what I would be "crying" about). As far as I'm aware, you aren't a moderator, so you can't really "rule" on anything but thankyou for your opinion.

Last edited by Scribbler : 04-13-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
IMO, I think it's about consistency and not asking the mods to "crack down."

The political threads were closed and deleted to comply with the Terms of Service. A couple of current threads have already involved significant discussion of religion vis a vis other topics. Under the "Controversial Topics" section of the Terms, these threads shouldn't be around.

Personally, I'm for talking about anything. But, the rules are the rules and Scribbler is well within his rights to ask for a clarification...especially if replying to one of the threads could earn him a warning or "time off."
Thank you.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I'm really not trying to be difficult. I'll wait and see if there's any clarification on this. If not and if political and religious topics are still frequently posted and discussed, I suppose I shall feel free to contribute, just like everyone else - no disrespect to the moderators or forum rules. Ultimately, I suppose it doesn't matter if forums are deleted (as they inevitably will be due to the polarised nature of these discussions and the personalities involved).

Last edited by Scribbler : 04-13-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Hi,

I'm not a big fan of micro managing, and if something is mentioned in passing that's in context I don't usually worry about it. I can tell you I do not read every post, and certainly miss some, hence the report feature.

If you're in doubt about something, or there are posts or threads breaking the rules, please use it so we can check it out. We may decide some things are OK and that is a judement call. Overall, the topics you're asking about are not allowed though as the rules state.

Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Commander

Thanks, Redshirt!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
It's a difficult problem, all right. As a Moderator at another forum I find that which ever way one tries to dice it there will always be 'grey' area posts that might strictly cross a narrow definition of the rules, yet not be worthy of deletion. In the end it comes down to the interpretation of the rules by the Mod.

Personally, I'd rather not see religious/secular/atheistic/humanistic discussions take place here, because I have very strong views on the matter, and whenever I see someone slagging off at what I believe or misrepresent it, I get upset. I'm sure others would be upset if I posted about what I believe. I am part of a minority group that is daily exposed to what the majority accepts as the norm and the intolerance that goes with it, and I'd be happy to not have to be forced to endure it here just so I can read Star Trek posts.

Having said that, I don't think banning minor mentions of religion or politics as part of a different discussion is needful, e.g., if someone cheers about pirates being killed and another points out a differing moral position, and then the first describes a differing moral position, my personal feeling is that this is fair enough.

So this is my view, though some may disagree.
Bravo...bring on the Trek Posts!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post

The "Thanks for deleting the political threads" has already been locked and that thread was nothing but respectful. .

Really? Read it again. One person cracks a joke (which I took as an obvious joke) about everything being Bush's fault, then someone else got all hurt and took it seriously. Shortly after that the post was closed. There was even a post just prior to the thread being locked that suggested closing the thread before it further degenerated into name calling (or something like that). The mod saw something brewing and nipped it in the butt.