The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Favourite DS9 season
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which season is your favourite?
Season 1 0 0%
Season 2 0 0%
Season 3 0 0%
Season 4 1 5.00%
Season 5 5 25.00%
Season 6 12 60.00%
Season 7 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Favourite DS9 season

I was just wondering for all the DS9 fans what your favourite individual season is. Although the series overall was a great piece of work, my own favourite entire season is season 6.

The long build up to the war had finally ignited in conflict, and the six episode arc that kicked off the season allowed the relationships between all the characters to be tested, broken, repaired and new ones formed. The characters and the Federation had to face huge and difficult decisions about how to survive the war and that created some wonderful confrontations along the way for all the players (although 'Waltz' stands out best).

Sisko's role as Emissary came back to begin to show it's real consequences for him, and reached the emotional payoff of the finale - where the simultaneous success for the Federation was tempered for us with the murder of Jadzia by Dukat. It was such a complete season that really attempted to tell a big story and succeeded really well I think.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Little to add to what you have said, Kevin. The sixth season is overall very good and it features my two favourite DS9 epsidoes, In the Pale Moonlight and Far Beyond the Stars as well as many outstanding episodes like Waltz, Statistical Probabilities or, on the lighter side, One Little Ship and Who Mourns for Morn?.

The second season is also worth mentioning and Piller did not exaggerate when he claimed that this was the (hitherto) single best Star Trek season. It set up the general tone of the series and went deeply into the Bajorans and Cardassians. In retropspect it stands out for starting all those important themes of DS9.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Whichever season Trials and Tribbleations is in is my favorite since that's really the only episode I ever liked.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Whichever season Trials and Tribbleations is in is my favorite since that's really the only episode I ever liked.
Season 5.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Ensign

I had to think long and hard about this, but settled on six. I thought about season two because it took so many risks in making the Trek universe deeper.

I thought about season 3, but only for a moment, and only because Past Tense is one of my all time favorite Trek stories.

Season 4 was a tough call--Worf, the political intrigue steps up, the Homefront episode is astonishingly good, and the dominion story really starts to come into its own.

Season 5 is also solid, and probably stands up to any season from any other Trek series, but can't stand up to 4 and 6 of DS9.

6--voted for it, and can't say anything on top of what's been said. classic--the perfect balance of dominion war arc and more traditional standalones. And it has a couple of my favorite Trek episodes ever.

7--I'd rank it in the same ballpark as 3, maybe a little better. I loved the way the show ended, with a few exceptions, and I loved the dominion arc, but a little more balance and a little less mysticism could have made this season the hands down winner.

As it stands, I still favor DS9 to any other non-purely comedic tv series (ie. MST3k and Seinfeld take my top 2) in television history, hands down.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Best Seasn was 5. The suspense of the War was far better than anything in the War it'self topping it off with the destruction of the Odyssey.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The Best Seasn was 5. The suspense of the War was far better than anything in the War it'self topping it off with the destruction of the Odyssey.
Just checking quickly - the Odyssey was destroyed at the end of Season 2 in 'The Jem'Hadar', season 5 did have the war build up but ended with Sisko abandoning DS9 and Dukat taking it back.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Commander

I voted six, but I don't really have a favourite season.

They've all got their good and their bad episodes. ("watchable" to "WOW") so I don't think I can truly pick one at the expense of the others.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Lieutenant

Kevin's right. The series as a whole was fantastic.

My single favorite season though had to of been the final one. Season 7.

That season brought an end to the series in a great way. They had their action episodes, their character episodes and the final 9 episode arch was really, really good.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Lieutenant

at the moment i would have to say season 4.