The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Take That, Pirates!!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Vice Admiral

If my memory serves, Somalia doesn't really have much of a government right now, which isn't helping things.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I'm happy that the Captain was rescued. But I'm not going to celebrate that three other men got killed.

Do any of you guys get Current TV? Their show Vangaurd has been running a documentary on the pirates of Somolia... the people are so poor there, that the gangs that run the country recruit guys who are desperate to feed their families to be pirates... if the recruits get killed, at least the gang leaders know there are always more desperate people to blackmail into it...
Sorry, isn't this a political thread? It seems to me we've got the usual liberal people arguing with the usual right wingers. Having said you are glad another political thread was removed, here we are yet again. I'm genuinely confused. I'm bound by the forum rules not to get into politics or religion because they're considered controversial. This hasn't stopped the political threads. Is it just that threads with a right wing bias aren't considered controversial until more liberal influences start to argue against them?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Sorry, isn't this a political thread? It seems to me we've got the usual liberal people arguing with the usual right wingers. Having said you are glad another political thread was removed, here we are yet again. I'm genuinely confused. I'm bound by the forum rules not to get into politics or religion because they're considered controversial. This hasn't stopped the political threads. Is it just that threads with a right wing bias aren't considered controversial until more liberal influences start to argue against them?

Ha! I'm the biggest bleeding heart here, but this time I'm totally down with nuking the freaking pirates so hard that they go back in time.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Ha! I'm the biggest bleeding heart here, but this time I'm totally down with nuking the freaking pirates so hard that they go back in time.
I'm not talking about the issue, given the forum rules I'm not going to post my views on the subject. I'm talking about political threads being removed due to forum rules but only under certain circumstances. If I'm to obey the forum rules, political discussions are verboten. Only they're not? Thread titles with neo-con sentiments don't seem by themselves to be forbidden. I wonder if more liberal thread titles are similarly tolerated? The wording of the house rules is clear but it seems that it's only when people start actually debating with each other that things get censored. I'm cool with obeying the forum rules, no disrespect to the moderators or the participants but it doesn't seem very consistent, especially as some of the people enthusiastically joining in this thread have only recently applauded the removal of political threads..
Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Vice Admiral

It seems to me that as long as things stay polite and focused, the mods are cool with most discussions.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
It seems to me that as long as things stay polite and focused, the mods are cool with most discussions.
When I asked, "if politics and religion are so bad as topics, why not ban them specifically?" I was told by a moderator that they were. I don't mind either way, it just seems a little unfair that controversial and offensive statements can be made by some people but not others..
Old 04-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Admiral

It's a rule we seem to bend all the time and as long as the discussion remains civil, the thread continues on. There are a few threads going on now that have various political viewpoints in discussion and for the most part, they're civil, so they stay I guess.

As for the pirates, I am happy with the outcome, but feel we're not getting all sides. My first impression on hearing the navy killed the pirates that took the captain hostage was one very similar to Monsieur Hood and MrQ. I felt vindicated and I don't even know the situation here. After reading some of the posts by Horatio, Fan and others, I gotta ask, who are these pirates? Are they all merciless thugs we should stomp out? Many I'd say yes. But there must be another side to this. The Mexican drug war and illegal immigration into the US has many facets to it. Our demand for these drugs fuels what is going on in Mexico and along the border just as much as the corruption within Mexico itself. It's all about the money. If there was none to be made here, the shape of the drug war would be quite different. All I am saying is nothing is black and white, there isn't a distinct line drawn between right and wrong and when I first heard the navy killed these pirates I felt vindicated. Maybe I'm wrong here but there is another side to this, many sides to this, it can't be all just black and white, good and evil, us vs. them and I think that's a major problem with how the US has dealt with world affairs ranging from Iraq to the Mexican drug cartels to Afghanistan and Pakistan. Well that was political as you can get but as the musical emperor once put it...

'ah there it is.'

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Admiral

I just read snipers took out three pirates. The way the media are covering this you'd think a lone naval destroyer blew the whole ship of pirates from the sea once the hostage was safe.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Vice Admiral

I did not intend to start a political debate when I created this thread. I was happy that the hostage was freed. Perhaps I should not have used exclamation points at the end of the sentence where I mention 3 of the pirates were killed. A part of me wishes all 4 "bit the bullet" and another part of me feels sympathy for people that live in a lawless third world country where it is extremely difficult to feed your family.

I'm curious. Did my original post appear "neo-con" as Scribbler mentioned earlier? I don't quite understand the meaning of that phrase.

No matter how much I sympathize with people in bad situations, I do not pretend that their behavior is somehow justified. It may help you gain insight into their motivations, but as soon as they took a hostage, they became the "enemy". I don't understand why ships don't have small para-military defense teams on board, especially since things have gotten so bad.

Livingston, you check your MySpace lately?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Livingston, you check your MySpace lately?
Just did! Don't check it that often though.