The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Young criminals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

One thing is certain: religious propaganda won't help.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Again, gimme a break - Really?

I know plenty of prosperous indiviuals who have never been religious and don't even have a parking ticket to their name. Religion has nothing to do with being a decent person and contributing rather than taking from society.

And the other post merely reinforces that the focus should also be on rooting out street vendors so they can't be bought without paperwork.
What need does God have to correct those who have rejected Him? They have their reward, an earthly one. "Whom He loves, He also chastens and rebukes". Christ suffered for us who have believed in him, that we also might follow in his footsteps.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
One thing is certain: religious propaganda won't help.
It isn't propaganda NCC, it's the truth, and I for one am going to tell it unapologetically. If you can't handle it, that's your problem.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Lieutenant

Its upbringing and Genetics...I was brought up with the basic belief, world concept that states Killing for any reason (other then survival and self defense) is wrong because all life IS Sacred.

I remember reading a book that said something about great mind sicknesses of the 21st century how they swept through the population causing many to die. it was a progressive desease.
  1. suicides.
  2. suicides would be stoped by new medical breakthroughs, then berserkers emerge killing those around them without reason, then turn the gun on themselves.
  3. then after medical breakthroughs stopped the berserkers, people seamingly random would keel over on the streets for no known medical reason and just die.
in the end over 1/2 the earths population would be dead from this later people would speculate that it was due to the local area of space being unable to sustain that many minds in one localized area.

one more thing... I'm gonna continue to cling to my "Guns 'n' Religion" as is my constitutional right.

Last edited by sraviik : 04-12-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
It isn't propaganda NCC, it's the truth, and I for one am going to tell it unapologetically. If you can't handle it, that's your problem.
Careful with the word "truth." My "truth" and your "truth" are probably very different things, and who is to say which is the correct opinion?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
This is not cool.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
What need does God have to correct those who have rejected Him? They have their reward, an earthly one. "Whom He loves, He also chastens and rebukes". Christ suffered for us who have believed in him, that we also might follow in his footsteps.
Quote:
Believe me, The Godless can handle such nonsense just fine.

Your beliefs are yours to enjoy as you see fit - but don't assume others will blindly accept such a narrow and simplistic vision of the problems involved in some of society's issues.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 04-13-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Let's end this conflict and continue with the topic at hand.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Commander

I find it interesting when conversation like this come up and many people seem to have direct answers. It's the TV shows! It's the video games! To blame crime solely on video games or solely on violent television and movies is ridiculous because the number of people that watch these types of media and do not commit crimes far exceeds the number of people that watch and commit crimes. I've taken Criminology and the truth is no one knows exactly what makes people commit criminal acts but there are plenty of theories. The answer isn't simply black and white otherwise we probably would have eliminated crime by now. There is usually a combination of factors and the answer is pretty complex. You can have a family of four that seem to be the "picture perfect" family, one sibling becomes a police officer and the other turns to crime. You can also have the same scenario and both children become police officers. You have to look at all the factors on a case by case basis. Upbringing, family, friends, media these are all things that influence us and some on the many factors that are looked at in Criminology. Religion can also be looked at as a factor but just because someone is religious doesn't mean they won't commit crimes. You don't have to be a religious person to know what right and wrong are. Even a film like Watchmen (which is a pretty violent) has something to say about right and wrong.

Last edited by Enterprise Captain : 04-13-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
I find it interesting when conversation like this come up and many people seem to have direct answers. It's the TV shows! It's the video games! To blame crime solely on video games or solely on violent television and movies is ridiculous because the number of people that watch these types of media and do not commit crimes far exceeds the number of people that watch and commit crimes. I've taken Criminology and the truth is no one knows exactly what makes people commit criminal acts but there are plenty of theories. The answer isn't simply black and white otherwise we probably would have eliminated crime by now. There is usually a combination of factors and the answer is pretty complex. You can have a family of four that seem to be the "picture perfect" family, one sibling becomes a police officer and the other turns to crime. You can also have the same scenario and both children become police officers. You have to look at all the factors on a case by case basis. Upbringing, family, friends, media these are all things that influence us and some on the many factors that are looked at in Criminology. Religion can also be looked at as a factor but just because someone is religious doesn't mean they won't commit crimes. You don't have to be a religious person to know what right and wrong are. Even a film like Watchmen (which is a pretty violent) has something to say about right and wrong.
Quite correct, and it's that 'no-one knows' that causes the problem. People need a scapegoat. Because 'something' has to become the focus of the frustration and anger people feel. Whether it's valid or not seldom matters - it's a method of venting.

courtesy of Saquist