The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Young criminals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Young criminals

in my country , a few days ago , an armed 19 year old kid shot 4 people.
same thing like in usa , when a boy killed students, is there some kind of sickness going on all around the world? What kind of perverted,twisted and sick people manipulate these poor minds?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
in my country , a few days ago , an armed 19 year old kid shot 4 people.
same thing like in usa , when a boy killed students, is there some kind of sickness going on all around the world? What kind of perverted,twisted and sick people manipulate these poor minds?
I don't think it's a given that someone manipulated these young criminals. I won't call them "poor minds". I'm don't know all the details, but I would bet some of these criminals already had a history of negative behavior.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

I am not familiar with these cases, but if we talk about amok crimes, young people killing others and then themselves, I don't think that this has something to do with manipulation or with an increasing-in-intensity crime profil. People who have commited petty crimes usually can get on the right path again (if the jurisdiction tries to resocialize them and does not simply lock them away) while potential amok-runners (is there such a thing, has someone who wanted to run amok ever be stopped?) need serious psychological help respectively gotta be locked away.
All we can do to prevent amok runs is to regulate weapon property and care for the overall psychological health in our socities.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Vice Admiral

I think it has a lot to do with humanity losing it's path - once you're no longer living in the Tao (or Jesus, or Moses, or whomever), things get flakey. Now that there are WAY too many people in the world, it's even more noticeable. Especially when you can buy all the guns you want in most states with no need to prove one's sanity.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Commander

There is something inheirently wrong with someone who will murder another person, for whatever reason. It takes something warped in the mind that I will never understand to kill a husband or wife because you don't get along with them, that's what divorce courts are for. I cannot conceive of why anyone would kill for money or profit. No profit, no money, no treasure is worth even one human life. If you want money, there are plenty of other ways you can get it, like working for it for instance. I work in Law Enforcement, and it never fails to amaze me to see how much work criminals will put into crime. They work so hard at evil, that if they were working a real job, they'd be the employee of the month for ten years running. Then their are the true sicko's, serial killers, those who murder, take important, useful, happy lives, take everything someone was, are, or ever will be, all for their own sick pleasure. There is no sane reason for doing what they do. Personally, I don't believe there is any punishment too harsh for any of these monsters in human form.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Vice Admiral

I think in this case, we need to consider the deadly mix of Violent Video Games + Easily Available Weapons + No Good Moral Education At Home = Bad Stuff Happening.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I think in this case, we need to consider the deadly mix of Violent Video Games + Easily Available Weapons + No Good Moral Education At Home = Bad Stuff Happening.
There's one more factor to consider, Godlessness. You have people like Bill Maher telling us we're lunatics for believing in a God who commands people not to kill, and who says that vengeance belongs to him and not to us, and not to be quick to anger or bloodshed, and above all to love our neighbors and to treat others the way we'd like to be treated. We used to teach our children these simple truths, we used to instill in them that hurting others is wrong, but with the rise of secularism, and those who believe and teach that there are no absolutes, no right, no wrong, only grey areas. So I don't see why it's any great surprise or shock to see these kinds of things coming to pass. This is the true legacy of the atheists, humanists, and secularists.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's not like video games are the only media which contains violence. The average Shakespearean tragedy or history features about five til ten corpses and many contemporary movies are OK when they are violent but horribly immorale when they portray sex.
It may be a catalyst for a potential amok runner but per se, a violent video game can also have a cathartic effect on someone's aggressive emotions.

Last time there was an amok run in Germany, I was perplexed that the media did concentrate on reporting about the video games the amok runner played yet barely covered that he took a gun from his father. How about asking him why he did not lock his weapon instead of the usual empty blabla about censoring video games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
This is the true legacy of the atheists, humanists, and secularists.
Lovely, let's blame humanism, enlightment (did you know that democracy and human rights developed because of that and not because of Christianity?) and secularism for all bad things in the world. How about asking HOW an amok runner kills? How about a bit of regulation of deadly things like weapons?

Last edited by horatio : 04-12-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
There's one more factor to consider, Godlessness. You have people like Bill Maher telling us we're lunatics for believing in a God who commands people not to kill, and who says that vengeance belongs to him and not to us, and not to be quick to anger or bloodshed, and above all to love our neighbors and to treat others the way we'd like to be treated. We used to teach our children these simple truths, we used to instill in them that hurting others is wrong, but with the rise of secularism, and those who believe and teach that there are no absolutes, no right, no wrong, only grey areas. So I don't see why it's any great surprise or shock to see these kinds of things coming to pass. This is the true legacy of the atheists, humanists, and secularists.
Oh, gimme a break - really?

Trust me, you can do all those things and still be an atheist, humanist and secularist. Those who believe in God don't have a monopoly on good behaviour. Plenty of them have wound up criminals as well.

courtesy of Saquist