The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Ex Astris Scientia
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Well at the same time, Gene received lots of criticism from Star Trek fans before TNG even began production. Fans had gone so far as to petition that TNG never be made to begin with. Among the original cast, Walter Koenig was particularly adamant about not wanting TNG to air. It really wasn't until the third season with "The Best of Both Worlds" that TNG really became more widely accepted.
I remember that interview with Koenig. He went as far to admit he hoped TNG failed. Then said once it got going he thought it was a great show.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Cool, I was just looking it up on amazon, it didn't say, but that's great it contains both.

Sadly, my setup is not nearly as good as Zim's either. We should have parties at his place, we could start with a sneak preview of Abram's new movie I think.
I agree.

The Blu Ray discs also allow for seamless branching from the original to the remastered as it's playing. Nifty feature.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Admiral

That is a nice feature! Can't wait to pick a season up!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm only gonna get season one, since I have the remastered sets of seasons 2 & 3 on DVD.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I do not believe Gene would approve of the Re-boot. Reading The Making of Star Trek, and watching the First Season of the Next Generation, I believe We can see what Gene wanted. In Next Generation, he did not have a network breathing down his neck like he did during TOS. Also in the first season, Gene did not have a bar room fight.
Yet Gene had bar fights in TOS (not the first season... as if that matters), so clearly he wasn't opposed to the idea in the right dramatic context. Doubt he would be today, either. Let's not cram a bunch of words in Gene's mouth based on our opinions and not his own.

At best, we MIGHT have had a glimpse of what Gene wanted for TREK then. There's literally no way of telling what he would want for STAR TREK today, except for his own quotes saying he'd hope it would continue on. It is, and that fulfills one of his main wishes.

Magnum, do you think Gene would actually be happier (were he here) to see TREK die off completely and never had new adventures again?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone_106 View Post
Like I said, people who are this way have the entire TOS library on Dvd/Blue Ray. Next Gen, DS9, Voyager ect ect which they can enjoy to no end all by themselves in their basements. The rest of us can move forward into the future as Gene would have wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Look at the latest update on Ex Astris Scientia. I can no longer stand this guy...he seems to think he's the sole master of all Trek knowledge...I'll be enjoying the movie while he's crying over his precious canon!

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/
I want canon.
They're not doing canon.
Hate the ship...feverently...

But the acting is...off the charters....It's sense a great movie.
I like Ex Astris Scientia
His opinion on the movie won't effect mine untill I see it.
Untill then this doesn't offend me at all.
I still respect the work he's done.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Lieutenant

With respect to the OP, but I don't agree with what was said of ex-astris-scientia.org/ . I had a look at his update and found his 'apprehensions' were confirmed, but there were no comments or spoilers. Being apprehensive doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but to each his own. I've had a quick read of some of the other articles, and although I admit I could have missed what people have reacted against, my straw sampling only brought me intelligent discussions of topics. I've added the site to my bookmarks for further reading.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Don't get me wrong. His site is brilliant. I just bet that nothing will change his mind on the movie and that really irks me. In his earlier prediction article about the movie, it just seemed like he was making excuse upon excuse to trash a movie that isn't even out yet (and at the time was a great deal further out).
Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Lieutenant

dammit i just can't find anything wrong with the code on his site... oh well even with valid code the design still gets on my nerves.

oh wait whats this... got it. he didn't use a vaild HTML character for the TM... you don't have to have bad code to have bad design.
gah... elements of the page failed the contrast check.

Last edited by sraviik : 04-10-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
TOS on 42'' plasma widescreen. I bet the color is amazing!
Ha! - that's for wimps. I run the DVD's in my place through the laptop and a digital projector onto my wall. I get a 'screen size' of about 15 feet x 6 feet
(approx 4m x 2m)

add that to some old chunky hifi speakers and woofer that I converted to run through the laptop and we're cooking!