The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > getting confused...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Ensign

Default getting confused...

So the new movie is confirmed as occuring in an 'alternate timeline' universe..

well then,

1. Does the 'regular' universe of ST that we've had for the past 40+ years still exist?

2. Is this new alt-universe now canon? (sorry, I used the C word there... but there's no way around it) For that matter are both universes canon?

This is how I see it...

There'll be those who refuse to accept the new universe stories and timeline and those who do. Someone will then nail their 90 Treatises of Trek to the gates of Paramount causing a rift between the two 'faiths'. Neither will accept the other and there'll battles between the 'true faith' and the 'new order' until there are 2 different types of conventions where neither the twain shall meet. Eventually all out war will ensue and last for centuries killing millions until the 2 agree to disagree and maintain a cold but polite silence with each other. As things begin to settle down there'll be a new fanatical division between these faiths and those who write fan-fic and who want to be taken seriously. Being fanaticsl they'll try to impose their views and badly written stories through "terrorist' postings and hacking of star trek forums and fan sites. Both the 2 faiths will work together to defeat the fan-fic-ers, but being organised into local cell groups they'll be hard to track down and defeat once and for all. The situation will remain unresolved...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seane View Post
There'll be those who refuse to accept the new universe stories and timeline and those who do. Someone will then nail their 90 Treatises of Trek to the gates of Paramount causing a rift between the two 'faiths'. Neither will accept the other and there'll battles between the 'true faith' and the 'new order' until there are 2 different types of conventions where neither the twain shall meet. Eventually all out war will ensue and last for centuries killing millions until the 2 agree to disagree and maintain a cold but polite silence with each other. As things begin to settle down there'll be a new fanatical division between these faiths and those who write fan-fic and who want to be taken seriously. Being fanaticsl they'll try to impose their views and badly written stories through "terrorist' postings and hacking of star trek forums and fan sites. Both the 2 faiths will work together to defeat the fan-fic-ers, but being organised into local cell groups they'll be hard to track down and defeat once and for all. The situation will remain unresolved...
That's pretty much what I foresee.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 04-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Koenig
"You know, nothing is carved into stone. Star Trek isn't based on historical facts. It's just imaginary, creation. People's imagination. It's fictitious. So, if they take something and change it, go with it, accept it for what it's like and have a good time!"
What he said.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seane View Post
So the new movie is confirmed as occuring in an 'alternate timeline' universe..

well then,

1. Does the 'regular' universe of ST that we've had for the past 40+ years still exist?

2. Is this new alt-universe now canon? (sorry, I used the C word there... but there's no way around it) For that matter are both universes canon?

This is how I see it...

So when did Trek become a religion and what kind of religious terrorists are we talking about? Ones that run around with little plastic phasers and communicators that egg the front gates of Paramount studios? Ooooo...scary stuff there. C'mon terms like "true faith" and "new order" have no business in Trek (unless it is in the plotline dialogue.) No wonder you're confused.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Lieutenant

I'm not much of a QFT guy, but, I have to throw my weight behind Mouse's response. This is a work of fiction; there is not "purer faith" or "faith" at all. Star Trek isn't a religion and it shouldn't be given that level of significance.

I love Star Trek; I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember (early-to-mid 70s). I will be a Star Trek fan for the rest of my life. But, it's just a fictional universe -- an inspiring one, mind you, but fiction nonetheless.

Let's keep a little perspective here.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
So when did Trek become a religion and what kind of religious terrorists are we talking about? Ones that run around with little plastic phasers and communicators that egg the front gates of Paramount studios? Ooooo...scary stuff there. C'mon terms like "true faith" and "new order" have no business in Trek (unless it is in the plotline dialogue.) No wonder you're confused.
Trek became a religion.
Battlestar Galactica became a religion.
Star Wars became a religion.
Pretty much any sci-fi with a strong following becomes religion because some folks are too freaking stupid to realize that at the end of the day, these are all just TV shows/movies. Ergo they are fanatics. Fanatics are fanatically fanatical. "Death to the opposition, and to heretics who defy, defile, and defecate upon the blessed sacramental sanctity of indisputable canon, and the sacred ideals of the show's/movie's Father Creator to whom we all owe our subterranean existence! Amen!" is their cry for Holy War when things don't go their way within their preferred organized religion. Fanatically fanatical fanatics seem to have some misplaced and unjustified notion of ownership of a property to which they have none....but have built consecrated altars for their favorite (version) of their favorite franchis--er---I mean--religion, and thus somehow implies their ownership of said religion.

The Ten Commandments of (insert sci-fi fand--er--religion) here.

I. I am the Lord, Thy (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, etc) who brought you to your mothers' basements. Thou shalt have no other version of (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, etc) above me. For I am a jealous franchise, and have established my canon and continuity to be the truth, the law, the way, and the light in your mothers' basements.

II. Thou shalt not buy thyselves idols, action figures, starships, movie scripts, posters, and other merchandise that supports any other form of (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars etc.) of my Holy sacrament.

III: Thou shalt not take My name in vain. If thou observest mine Holy works, thou shalt invoke My name only in the cause of preserving my Holy canon and continuity. (I say this unto thee largely because chicks are turned off by Pop Culture references.)

IV: Remember Mine air times, and keep them Holy. (And if thou cant's't make it....thou hast the option to useth thy DVR, or buy Mine DVD's with the option of making thine own air time sabbattical.)

V: Honor thy canon and thy continuity principles.

VI: Thou shalt not cancel Me.

VII: Thou shalt not commit moonlightery, and watch other versions of Me. (And thou shalt refer to any other version of me with the suffix -INO, which meaneth "In Name Only").

VIII: Thou shalt not steal ideas to make thine own Holy canon.

IX: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy fellow canonites.

X: Thou shalt not covet thy fellow canonite's possibly hot-a$$ed girlfriend (or girlfriend...period...regardless of physical attractiveness...hey, just because you can't get laid, don't blame Me!) Nor shalt thou covet thy fellow canonite's extensive collectibles and Holy references to Mine canon.

The Fanatics' Prayer:

"Our father, whose world is hollow, thine sky have we seen. Thy seasons come. Thy will be done in our basements as it is in Hollywood. Give us this day our daily airing. Forgive us our ill-suited arrogance, as we forgive those who violate our canon. And lead us not into temptation to watch another version of thine shows, but deliver us from evil remakes/reboots/reimaginings. For thine is the canon, the continuity, and the rights to all merchandising of the one true faith. Bi La Kaifa!"

Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Trek became a religion.
Battlestar Galactica became a religion.
Star Wars became a religion.
Pretty much any sci-fi with a strong following becomes religion because some folks are too freaking stupid to realize that at the end of the day, these are all just TV shows/movies. Ergo they are fanatics. Fanatics are fanatically fanatical. "Death to the opposition, and to heretics who defy, defile, and defecate upon the blessed sacramental sanctity of indisputable canon, and the sacred ideals of the show's/movie's Father Creator to whom we all owe our subterranean existence! Amen!" is their cry for Holy War when things don't go their way within their preferred organized religion. Fanatically fanatical fanatics seem to have some misplaced and unjustified notion of ownership of a property to which they have none....but have built consecrated altars for their favorite (version) of their favorite franchis--er---I mean--religion, and thus somehow implies their ownership of said religion.

I. I am the Lord, Thy (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, etc) who brought you to your mothers' basements. Thou shalt have no other version of (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, etc) above me. For I am a jealous franchise, and have established my canon and continuity to be the truth, the law, the way, and the light in your mothers' basements.

II. Thou shalt not buy thyselves idols, action figures, starships, movie scripts, posters, and other merchandise that supports any other form of (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars etc.) of my Holy sacrament.

III: Thou shalt not take My name in vain. If thou observest mine Holy works, thou shalt invoke My name only in the cause of preserving my Holy canon and continuity. (I say this unto thee largely because chicks are turned off by Pop Culture references.)

IV: Remember Mine air times, and keep them Holy. (And if thou cant's't make it....thou hast the option to useth thy DVR, or buy Mine DVD's with the option of making thine own air time sabbattical.)

VII: Thou shalt not commit moonlightery, and watch other versions of Me. (And thou shalt refer to any other version of me with the suffix -INO, which meaneth "In Name Only").

X: Thou shalt not covet thy fellow canonite's possibly hot-a$$ed girlfriend (or girlfriend...period...regardless of physical attractiveness...hey, just because you can't get laid, don't blame Me!) Nor shalt thou covet thy fellow canonite's extensive collectibles and Holy references to Mine canon.

The Fanatics' Prayer:

"Our father, whose world is hollow, thine sky have we seen. Thy seasons come. Thy will be done in our basements as it is in Hollywood. Give us this day our daily airing. Forgive us our ill-suited arrogance, as we forgive those who violate our canon. And lead us not into temptation to watch another version of thine shows, but deliver us from evil remakes/reboots/reimaginings. For thine is the canon, the continuity, and the rights to all merchandising of the one true faith. Bi La Kaifa!"

Dude I am speachless...that is by far the most hilarious thing I have ever read on this forum! I bow to the master! I must coppy that and save it ...there's a ton of people I know that would find that so freakin' funny! OMG my sides hurt now!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Dude I am speachless...that is by far the most hilarious thing I have ever read on this forum! I bow to the master! I must coppy that and save it ...there's a ton of people I know that would find that so freakin' funny! OMG my sides hurt now!
<-----Takes a bow.

10-q! 10-q!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Ensign

Quote:

The Fanatics' Prayer:

That is so original. Good one CAPTAIN MOUSE. ROFOL!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Ensign

My bad, martok2112 Good one.