The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Spoiler Control?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 PM

I've only had to adjust one thread title the other day. It's been very good so far.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Captain

Sounds like a pretty mature bunch of Trekkies to me.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Sounds like a pretty mature bunch of Trekkies to me.
Trekkers! It's TREKKERS!!!

Oh, sorry! Not very mature of me
Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Midshipman

Default Staying Spoiler Free

i was kind of naive coming in here thinking people who hadn't seen the movie yet wouldn't know much about it.. boy was i wrong, in fact people have pointed out things that i think i must have missed watching it.. then i realised this is the first Star Trek thing since about 1997 that i had remained spoiler free on prior to seeing it, and that probably contributed to my enjoyment of it - just about everything was fresh, unexpected and exciting.. so i was wondering if people who have read the spoilers are worried it will ruin their enjoyment of it or think it will enhance it - after all it's one thing reading something but another seeing how it plays out in a movie ..and are there those out there really struggling to stay spoiler free as it so tempting to want to find out what will happen..???
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I've really enjoyed the build-up and the interaction with other fans. I've had a lot of fun out of this forum and I don't expect it to ruin my enjoyment of the movie. If anyone really wants to guarantee they remain completely in the dark about the new movie they should probably avoid logging on to a dedicated discussion forum populated by excited fans hungry for every scrap of information! Case in point, just glancing at a track list for the soundtrack album gives a bare bones summary of the story. I remember reading the back of the CD of the soundtrack for Star Wars Episode I and seeing in the track listing "The Death of Qui Gon Jin" - kind of a big spoiler! Not all spoilers are as obvious as reading the novelisation. Let the surfer beware!

Last edited by Scribbler : 04-10-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Admiral

I have problem knowing all about a movie before I see. It makes no difference at all to actually watching and enjoying it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Lieutenant

I have no problem knowing the details of a movie before I see it; in fact, I prefer it. Having said that, I understand that not everyone shares in this, and that it is horses for courses. I also know that, even with the best will in the world, it shall be very difficult for those who wish to preserve their ignorance of the movie details to avoid finding out things they don't yet want to know.

If I thought it was possible I'd suggest a separate board at this forum, which would be the only place in which spoiler discussions could take place; even then, it would difficult to police.

To tell the truth, I don't there is any satisfactory solution to the problem. There are too many people who desperately want to discuss material that would qualify as spoilers, and too many inadvertent comments and asides that people might make that might be unintentionally spoilerish. I sympathize with those who want to take part in threads but walk in trembling at what they might read without a spoiler warning.