The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Can anyone comment on the soundtrack who's seen it?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
chasrover chasrover is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default Great score

Hi all,

I was at the Sydney screening and I thought the score was the best element to this film, and after nearly a day of reflection on the film as a whole, I've gone from thinking it was great to thinking it was excellent. And wonderful.

I'm a big sucker for good scores, always have been. I'm heavily nostalgic for the John Williams era of great themes that seems to have been lost. Star Trek will be the first soundtrack I'll buy for a long time. Actually, as I write this, the background music on the official film site is running on a loop and has been for half an hour at least. I just love it. It's the main theme you are hearing on loop. It appears all through the film, but in many different kind of arrangements. The one on the website is what I'm calling the Lost version, but Michael Giacchino has really shown his versatility in the movie with his different arrangements. It's the same theme used throughout the film, but sometimes it's arranged like a James Horner action piece, other times it's quiet and subtle. It's exactly what you'd expect if you asked Giacchino to do what he does best and gave him all the resources he required.

As for the original vs rearrangement question, the theme sounds familiar but I think it's new (exactly like the movie!). The use of the well known Star Trek theme song is, as has been mentioned before, in a very appropriate place and there is at least one contemporary song used, but in-scene and done appropriately, although the product placement in the same scene is one of my very few gripes.

I don't want to oversell this movie, but it's hard not to. I really enjoyed it and I don't think that feeling is a product of seeing it early at a big junket. I think it's actually an incredible movie and above all, the film was fun. ID4 fun. Raiders fun. Star Wars fun. I can't even think of the last movie I thought was fun.

Great movie and the score was the best part.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
wildone_106 wildone_106 is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 103
Default

I just wanna know what the soundtrack was like, overall..was it GOOD!

No one knows??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Natural Natural is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Spoiler

Last edited by Natural : 04-07-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
apj apj is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone_106 View Post
I just wanna know what the soundtrack was like, overall..was it GOOD!

No one knows??
in a word YES!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

chasrover, apj, thanks.

Now for the Soundtrack and the Movie ...
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
RedShirtWalking's Avatar
RedShirtWalking RedShirtWalking is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,020
Default

I won't post it here, but for anyone who has seen the video of Nimoy/Kurtzman/Orci/Lindelof talking after the "secret premiere" in Austin, TX on TrekMovie.com, there's an interesting soundtrack note regarding the non-orchestral music.

(Concentrate on the credits scrolling behind Nimoy on the screen and not what he's saying.)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,226
Default

That is covered here
http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6221
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
wildone_106 wildone_106 is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 103
Default

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for that its exactly what I wanted to know, and its reassuring to know that someone who knows & loves other composers like Williams has something good to say about this soundtrack. Im already liking the theme on the official site so wow..cant wait to here how its used in different modes of the film!! Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrover View Post
Hi all,

I was at the Sydney screening and I thought the score was the best element to this film, and after nearly a day of reflection on the film as a whole, I've gone from thinking it was great to thinking it was excellent. And wonderful.

I'm a big sucker for good scores, always have been. I'm heavily nostalgic for the John Williams era of great themes that seems to have been lost. Star Trek will be the first soundtrack I'll buy for a long time. Actually, as I write this, the background music on the official film site is running on a loop and has been for half an hour at least. I just love it. It's the main theme you are hearing on loop. It appears all through the film, but in many different kind of arrangements. The one on the website is what I'm calling the Lost version, but Michael Giacchino has really shown his versatility in the movie with his different arrangements. It's the same theme used throughout the film, but sometimes it's arranged like a James Horner action piece, other times it's quiet and subtle. It's exactly what you'd expect if you asked Giacchino to do what he does best and gave him all the resources he required.

As for the original vs rearrangement question, the theme sounds familiar but I think it's new (exactly like the movie!). The use of the well known Star Trek theme song is, as has been mentioned before, in a very appropriate place and there is at least one contemporary song used, but in-scene and done appropriately, although the product placement in the same scene is one of my very few gripes.

I don't want to oversell this movie, but it's hard not to. I really enjoyed it and I don't think that feeling is a product of seeing it early at a big junket. I think it's actually an incredible movie and above all, the film was fun. ID4 fun. Raiders fun. Star Wars fun. I can't even think of the last movie I thought was fun.

Great movie and the score was the best part.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
RedShirtWalking's Avatar
RedShirtWalking RedShirtWalking is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
That actually isn't what I was talking about.

I was referring to another song in the film's soundtrack.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
That actually isn't what I was talking about.

I was referring to another song in the film's soundtrack.
Do you mean the credit for the Alexander Courage theme or the Beastie Boys?
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.