The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > How old were you when you started watching Star Trek?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Must have been 8 or so... and it is an interesting story:
My first episode was TNG's "Conspiracy", which was the only episode that was censored here in Germany! Had I seen the exploding head and chest of Remmick with the alien mother creature in it... maybe I'd never have become a fan!
So I owe the german media control a lot :P

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

From birth - you can blame my father for me. :P
Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 AM
Captain

I was 3 years old in 1966 when TOS premiered...my older brother and sister watched Trek, it was the only thing I was allowed to stay up late to see. Of course I never saw season 3 in first run because it was too much past my bedtime...have seen every Trek series in first run (including TAS) and every movie...

Have many of the books up to 1992 from the very beginning.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Lieutenant

I started at a young age. My earliest memory of Star Trek was All Good Things. I'm proud to say that was one of my first episodes, but my parents said it all started with re-runs of the original.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Commander

I was 5 or 6. "Star Trek" was in syndication in the 70's and my brother, John, and I used to fight over what we'd watch at 6pm. He was fourteen years older than me. He wanted to watch "Star Trek" and I wanted to watch "The Six Million Dollar Man."

John always won.

Needless to say, he turned me into a Trekkie and I never looked back. When TMP premiered in '79 I was ten years old and he took me to a matinee. We both had a great nap during the film.

RIP, John.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I must have been 5 or 6. TNG, DS9, Voyager, First Contact, they're all early memories.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Ensign

I remember watching the Original Series in first run during the third season - my dad did let me stay up since it was on Fridays, even though I was a tot. He also took me to my first convention in New York in 1976 - I saw the Great Bird himself on stage. I still have a cheesy View Master viewer and photo disc I bought there. My son and I go to the Comic Con in the metro Detroit area now - in uniform! (Got to pass it on, you know.) I can't wait for the Tour to get here!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Lieutenant

I was going to grade school in Washington, DC at a place called Randall Highland. It was a private school and I lived outside town in "suburbia." It was just after the assassination of RFK and MLK and while I vaguely rememeber those events, I was just a kid who watched Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes and yes, Lost In Space when I went home at night -- that was until a schoolmate named John Novak told me I should take a look at Star Trek. Strange name. Lost In Space was understandable to me -- but ''trek?'' What was that? Did he mean to say ''track?'' Anyway, so I went home and I'm not sure, but I think it was still on during the week as opposed to Friday night. I hit a repeat, but they were till making new ones -- just not for another few months. Good for me because I had a lot of catch-up and they were all new to me. However, it didn't immediately grab me. It took probably a couple shows to keep me watching. My first episode, believe it or not, was ''The Menagerie.'' Good timing. I was a bit overwhelmed by it because I didn't really know who the stars of the show were since it was probably the most elaborate envelope episode in TV history -- but I do remember it vividly.

So, having watched Lost In Space, I was fortunate to still have a black and white TV, so the retarded colors that came into use when it went color didn't throw me. The stupidity did, however. Occasional zipper-lines along the back of the ''franchise'' creatures that wandered the different Irwin Allen shows (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea etc.). To be honest, Lost In Space wasn't half bad with their first few episodes -- before they got campy, corny, and stupid. I seem to remember always wanting to have a Chariot (future mini-van?). Anyway, that's another story. So -- Star Trek. The other vivid memory was being absolutely frightened to death of the Gorn. I had to have my finger on the ''off'' switch on the TV every time it went back to the planet where the Gorn and Kirk were battling it out (nope, no remote control).

So, while all the ''cool'' kids were watching Speed Racer and Batman, I was eventually, totally and completely absorbed and couldn't get enough Star Trek. I was hooked. Why? Certainly it was the positive characters portrayed and the new approach the show offered. It didn't seem "science fictiony" in the sense of monsters attacking humans. It seemed real and plausible.

After that, the summers were spent in the woods and creek on the alien planet that bordered my basement. My brother and I would spend long hours until daylight was replaced by blinking lightning bugs exploring the "brave new worlds" the seemingly endless forest had to offer. It truly was "the best of times" because many of these fond memories still sweep through my mind's eye as I recall the precious little time I had with my brother, who left this planet far too early. I miss him very much and as far as I'm concerned, I will always be Captain Kirk and he will always be mister Spock. Apologies to Shatner, Nimoy and whoever is cast in the new movie.

Wow, this got a lot longer than I planned. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Midshipman

I watched TOS back in the 90's
At first I didnt liked it, and found it odd. Well, now I love it.

But mostly the Post-First Contact Era

Captain Tom Bishop
Kommandierender Offizier
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-86049
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
Ensign

I'm not completely certain how old I was. My older cousin grew up watching TOS when it first aired, and he totally influenced me by having me watch it in syndication in the '70's when I was little. (He has a HUGE box filled with programs from the conventions he attended back then. I tried to snatch some but didn't make it very far...) My best memory is going to see STIV on opening night with him and his older brother.

Of course, when TNG debuted, I watched it from the first. I still remember throwing my pillow at the TV at the end of Best of Both Worlds, Part I.