The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Think your local IMAX is getting Star Trek? Think Again.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Rear Admiral

Default Think your local IMAX is getting Star Trek? Think Again.

Star Trek is being advertised as also being released in “select” IMAX Theatres.

But how many of you have assumed that your local, or closet, IMAX theatre will be playing the new movie on May 8th?

Well, the truth is, only handful of locations will get the IMAX release in May.

Paramount has decided to release the movie to IMAX Digital (DLP), which only a few IMAX locations have as of right now. And as for the 70mm locations, only the top 30 markets are getting the movie in IMAX. There are over 200 IMAX locations in the U.S.

Hopefully, someone at Paramount will see the error in this and change their mind. After all, The Dark Knight did very well in the IMAX locations for Warner Bros.

“Logic” would suggest that the more locations you play the movie, the more money it would make.

I believe there are a handful of Star Trek fans that have started some kind of Letter Writing Campaign to try to get more IMAX locations booked with the movie.

I know at the theatre I work at, we have had many calls trying to buy tickets already. I even had a grown man burst out in to tears that we are not getting the movie. A little extreme maybe, but it just goes to show that fans and many others want to see this movie.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Ensign

well,i live in massachusetts and i usually drive to natick to see films on IMAX.i sincerely hope that one of the nearby theatres gets the imax version.i would hate to have to see this film event in manchester.their IMAX is not really up to standards.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

What about IMAX DMR? Is it the same thing as DLP? Because that's what we have here in Montreal...

Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Rear Admiral

DMR is the team that converts the movie to IMAX format.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post

But how many of you have assumed that your local, or closet, IMAX theI Iatre will be playing the new movie on May 8th?

Paramount has decided to release the movie to IMAX Digital (DLP), which only a few IMAX locations have as of right now. And as for the 70mm locations, only the top 30 markets are getting the movie in IMAX. There are over 200 IMAX locations in the U.S.

Hopefully, someone at Paramount will see the error in this and change their mind. After all, The Dark Knight did very well in the IMAX locations for Warner Bros.

“Logic” would suggest that the more locations you play the movie, the more money it would make.

I believe there are a handful of Star Trek fans that have started some kind of Letter Writing Campaign to try to get more IMAX locations booked with the movie.

I know at the theatre I work at, we have had many calls trying to buy tickets already. I even had a grown man burst out in to tears that we are not getting the movie. A little extreme maybe, but it just goes to show that fans and many others want to see this movie.
Sir Num Nums, I hoped you helped that "grown man" who burst into tears find his meds.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
DMR is the team that converts the movie to IMAX format.
Actually, that's not what it is... I did a bit of research and DMR stands for Digital Remastering and it's the process that allowed conventional films to be upconverted into IMAX format.

Come to think of it, I doubt that we'll be getting Star Trek in IMAX after all because apparently, you need a different screen in order to play IMAX Digital since the resolution is a lot lower.... Bummer....

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
Sir Num Nums, I hoped you helped that "grown man" who burst into tears find his meds.
We did help that guy. It is amazing how Free Passes can cure almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Actually, that's not what it is... I did a bit of research and DMR stands for Digital Remastering and it's the process that allowed conventional films to be upconverted into IMAX format.
Well, I was close... And it is a "team" of people that do the work. You see their names right before the Blue Band at the end of the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Come to think of it, I doubt that we'll be getting Star Trek in IMAX after all because apparently, you need a different screen in order to play IMAX Digital since the resolution is a lot lower.... Bummer....
The screen does not change. It is coated in silver paint for 3D, so that big chunk of money does not come down. However, you are right about the Digital IMAX. Because it uses 2 Christie CP2000 Projectors, which are only 2K in resolution, the quality is not as good as the 70mm film.

That is why I feel Paramount has made an error in judgement with putting so much faith in Digital Imax.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm hoping Houston's rank as Fourth Largest City will get it a copy or two.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

But how many of you have assumed that your local, or closet, IMAX theatre will be playing the new movie on May 8th?

Nums, that's the definition of "select theaters" -- select meaning few or 'hand-picked'... as opposed to wide or general release.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I think I covered that point with my original post.

My point is that more locations could show the movie, but will not get the chance.
Because, again, most people will assume if they have Imax, theirs will get the movie.

My location has been dealing with people and phones calls daily about the movie. And to tell the truth, I would rather see it Imax, then in 35mm, or on a standard dlp screen.
So, I know many others would too.