The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Important Abrams interview
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhprime View Post
I respect your opinion but I cannot see, from the interviews, trailers, and photos that have so far been released, how this movie has anything to do with the Original Series other than using some familiar names. Don't get me wrong...I think the movie is going to be well written, well directed, and well acted...it just has no resemblence to Star Trek, and I think that is a shame. Considering all the possibilities that were available to continue the franchise and respect the past while at the same time introducing some newness and freshness to the characters and then to see the bridge look an Apple store and the Enterprise look like a warped version of itself is just a complete disappointment. I do happy I am happily surprised by the movie, but I am not holding out much hope.
Want cardboard sets? What would you do to make it new, different, and still Star Trek?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I feel much more comfortable with JJ Abrams in charge after reading that interview. It really seems like he "gets" it.
Yes. I feel the same way. JJ's responses in this interview have made me less fearful this moviw will be a dumbed down version of Trek.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Want cardboard sets? What would you do to make it new, different, and still Star Trek?
I would use the design features of the original show in a more modern way. One of the most iconic features of the original series was its use of color. The color schemes (wardrobe and sets) were amazing. I imagine a director and art team could have come up with a way to preserve that and make it look new at the same time. Instead we get a washed out white/translucent bridge. Same goes for the Enterprise exterior. The original design could have been maintained, but more detail could have been added to make it look more complete (the original was never displayed with enough detail.)
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Commander

Quote:
I would use the design features of the original show in a more modern way. One of the most iconic features of the original series was its use of color. The color schemes (wardrobe and sets) were amazing. I imagine a director and art team could have come up with a way to preserve that and make it look new at the same time. Instead we get a washed out white/translucent bridge. Same goes for the Enterprise exterior. The original design could have been maintained, but more detail could have been added to make it look more complete (the original was never displayed with enough detail.)
So you would spend $150m on Star Trek: Phase 2?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
So you would spend $150m on Star Trek: Phase 2?
Sorry....where did I mention Star Trek Phase II?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
How exactly would this attract a modern audience?

They would see the sets, and immediately think of Star Trek from the 60s.

They would laugh out of the cinema, or see it as a parody of TOS.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Commander

Quote:
Sorry....where did I mention Star Trek Phase II?
Taking the old set designs, a little more detail, then adding modern production values.

Exactly what James Cowley's ST:NV/Phase II series does.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
How exactly would this attract a modern audience?

They would see the sets, and immediately think of Star Trek from the 60s.

They would laugh out of the cinema, or see it as a parody of TOS.
Oh I don't know....the same way the various series and movies have been attracting audiences for 40 years. Each new series had its own look and feel and yet they were all undeniably Star Trek, from the visuals to the stories. The ship in this new movie looks like it was designed by a advertising film charged with creating a commercial for some technology company.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Taking the old set designs, a little more detail, then adding modern production values.

Exactly what James Cowley's ST:NV/Phase II series does.
Actually, his series never did anything because it was never made, even though some elements were carried over into TMP.

In my post I mentioned taking elements of the original design and making them more modern, yet keeping the iconic feel of TOS. That doesn't mean slapping on some fresh paint and using a new camera. I would imagine it would be quite a challenge for designers and artists and probably much more difficult than using white surfaces and lucite, but the end result probably would have been fantastic.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Actually, his series never did anything because it was never made, even though some elements were carried over into TMP.

In my post I mentioned taking elements of the original design and making them more modern, yet keeping the iconic feel of TOS. That doesn't mean slapping on some fresh paint and using a new camera. I would imagine it would be quite a challenge for designers and artists and probably much more difficult than using white surfaces and lucite, but the end result probably would have been fantastic.
Never Made?

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/