The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Important Abrams interview
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thumbs up Important Abrams interview

From http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/06/exce...ar-trek-issue/

Quote:
"Star Trek of all things has got such a famous, vocal fan base, and if you don’t address them and make sure you’re honoring all that they know and love about the series, you’re completely screwed. You have to make sure the movie is not just aware of them, but working for them so that they’re not only able to continue embracing it but hopefully bring other people into the fold."
Quote:
"The approach to this whole movie in every detail was to take the inspiration from what was in The Original Series and then filter it through what is relevant and vital for now."
Quote:
"The themes that got me excited honestly had less to do with Star Trek and space and more to do with the optimism and humanity and of finding your purpose through unity. It ends up being a guiding principle of the movie - it needed to be faithful to the optimism that Gene Roddenberry wrote with during a time of fear and hate and suspicion. He was writing of our future where we were not just surviving it, but by cooperating and collaborating, we actually thrived. That to me, more than ever is a relevant idea."

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

I honestly think that at the end of the day, the changes that have been made for this new film will be largely cosmetic. I just get the feeling that these characters will feel like the ones we already know, if not younger less polished versions.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Great interview and I agree Captain Tom.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Federation Councillor

Again, words that give me confidence in Abrams and what he's doing with the film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I honestly think that at the end of the day, the changes that have been made for this new film will be largely cosmetic. I just get the feeling that these characters will feel like the ones we already know, if not younger less polished versions.
I agree. 100% I think we will all be pleasantly surprised!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I agree. 100% I think we will all be pleasantly surprised!!!
This just might be the best movie since The Dark Knight. A tough act to follow, to be sure, but I think Star Trek could be one of the most successful movies in history! Long live Trek!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

First of all, how does Star Trek 11 honor the fans? All I see are fans of the Next Generation, DS 9 and Voyager being left out in the cold. I have seen all the clips I can and this film does not feel at all like Star Trek.

But it does feel like STAR WARS. Even one scene of "Kirk" on a Motorcycle (!) looks like it was lifted from Star Wars. I kept wondering when Spock (?) would pull out his light sabre.

Second.
Quote:
The approach to this whole movie in every detail was to take the inspiration from what was in The Original Series and then filter it through what is relevant and vital for now. Not to say the goal was to make it cool or to make it different, but to make it real. And with characters that feel true and emotional, and like there’s a piece missing for them and they’re up against something significant and the stakes are high, it was fun to figure out a way to do everything from bringing the Enterprise back to make the relationship between Spock Kirk and Bones come to life and to use these wonderful new actors in a way that allowed them to really do their thing and bring these characters to life. I feel like the key was to treat it as legitimate.
But what about fans of the Movies, Next Generation, DS 9 and Voyager. They are left out in the cold. Inspiration with the Original Series? Where? How? (Somewhere I hear Star Wars music playing)

Finally, Fathful to Roddenberry? No its not, in my opinion.

I am sorry but I do not see how this is Star Trek. I could go into the fact that the Enterprise was built on the ground instead of space like it was suppose to have been(From the Keel up) in the Making of Star Trek.

This is my opinion. I thank you for reading it. We have our differences and thats good. But I do not feel this is Star Trek.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Commander

Quote:
I feel much more comfortable with JJ Abrams in charge after reading that interview. It really seems like he "gets" it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
I respect your opinion but I cannot see, from the interviews, trailers, and photos that have so far been released, how this movie has anything to do with the Original Series other than using some familiar names. Don't get me wrong...I think the movie is going to be well written, well directed, and well acted...it just has no resemblence to Star Trek, and I think that is a shame. Considering all the possibilities that were available to continue the franchise and respect the past while at the same time introducing some newness and freshness to the characters and then to see the bridge look an Apple store and the Enterprise look like a warped version of itself is just a complete disappointment. I do hope I am happily surprised by the movie, but I am not holding out much hope.

Last edited by mdhprime : 04-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
First of all, how does Star Trek 11 honor the fans? All I see are fans of the Next Generation, DS 9 and Voyager being left out in the cold. I have seen all the clips I can and this film does not feel at all like Star Trek.
It feels like a movie to me. It is plainly obvious that Star Trek fans, certainly me, want something NEW from Star Trek. Not a clone of everything that's come before, aka Enterprise.

Quote:
But it does feel like STAR WARS. Even one scene of "Kirk" on a Motorcycle (!) looks like it was lifted from Star Wars. I kept wondering when Spock (?) would pull out his light sabre.
Kirk on Motorcycle. IMHO it remonds me of the sunset scene in Top Gun a little bit, but no, I don't see Star Wars in this at all.

Quote:
Second.

But what about fans of the Movies, Next Generation, DS 9 and Voyager. They are left out in the cold. Inspiration with the Original Series? Where? How? (Somewhere I hear Star Wars music playing)
What Star Wars music? Where? What SPECIFICALLY makes you think of STAR WARS? The Motorcycle scene has NOTHING Star Wars related to it. AT ALL.

Quote:
Finally, Fathful to Roddenberry? No its not, in my opinion.
Have you seen the 2 Hours 6 Minutes that is this movie? or just the 10-15 minutes of trailers aimed at a general audience? Tell me, how do you KNOW this?

Quote:
I am sorry but I do not see how this is Star Trek. I could go into the fact that the Enterprise was built on the ground instead of space like it was suppose to have been(From the Keel up) in the Making of Star Trek.
This has been debated since forever. The simple fact is, we never saw the Enterprise being built at any point in the series or Movies. Period. Done.

How does that scene make it NOT Star Trek? Prey tell me, EXACTLY HOW?

Quote:
This is my opinion. I thank you for reading it. We have our differences and thats good. But I do not feel this is Star Trek.
It is unfortunate that you have a belief based on such woefully inadequate information to make a judgement.

- Ship built on earth? Doesn't contradict anything but assumptions.
- Kirk on Bike to see her built? Gives him a glimpse of his destiny as her Captain. The very beginning of the Original Series.
- Space battles? Hello, First contact? WOK? Nemesis? Insurrection? Trek III? Hardly unique to Star Wars, or ANY specific franchise.
- Action? There's more action in movies than there are credit sequences !!! Give me a BREAK.
- Beam weapons? Enterprise D, Voyager, TOS Enterprise, EVERY Star Trek show has had these, in abundance.
- Heavy Bad Guy? Trek II had one, Trek III had one, and there have been MANY bad guys.

I'm glad you are accepting of differences, so I am countering your illogical assumptions here.

What you feel does not gel with the information we all have.