The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Iowa 250 years ahead of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post
i think i read somewhere that was actually because in medieval times the left hand was used for "wiping" if you get my emphasis
Indeed, and why in India one should always shake hands with the correct hand - can't remember which.

Anyway the last post t'was but a jest!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

FanWriter45 and all others who read this thread.
first off, I am not 'anti-gay' nor homophobic. in fact, I have supported FanWriter45's view.

But seeing as God and 'church' have been brought up, I just like to point out that the Bible does make several references to homosexuality being a sin.

My point is that "churches" base their beliefs and rules on the Bible, so churches really have no choice in the matter. the Bible can't be adjusted to suit "modern thinking".

Of course, the Bible also teaches love and tolerence, but that is often forgotten. I'll go with this view myself as long as no innocent is being harmed. because God will judge us. He and no other.

but none of this changes the fact that Star Trek producers have been cowards.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

The Bible has been 'adjusted' before to suit the middle centuries. It doesn't contain every book ever written, nor does it take account of books which have more than one version.

Which is not to insult those who use it - just pointing out it has happened.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The Bible has been 'adjusted' before to suit the middle centuries. It doesn't contain every book ever written, nor does it take account of books which have more than one version.

Which is not to insult those who use it - just pointing out it has happened.
how has it been adjusted?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
only because he obviously wasn't played as an straight guy by the actor.
Mannerisms have little to do with sexual orientation or sexual preferences in general. Do you seriously tell whether someone is gay, straight or bi or whether someone likes to play soft or rough or whatever else simply by observing him or her?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM
jerhanner's Avatar
jerhanner jerhanner is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deep in the 100 Acre Wood
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
how has it been adjusted?
Assuming that you don't speak Aramaic or Hebrew or Greek or Latin or Early English, it's adjusted every time it's translated. Why do you think they call it the King James Bible? Cause it was edited to fit what King James wanted it to reflect.
Nothing lasts for 2000 years and countless re-edits without being changed. Go read up on the Diet of Worms and you'll see some real "adjusting" !!!

PS Left handed people are evil!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
FanWriter45 and all others who read this thread.
first off, I am not 'anti-gay' nor homophobic. in fact, I have supported FanWriter45's view.

But seeing as God and 'church' have been brought up, I just like to point out that the Bible does make several references to homosexuality being a sin.

My point is that "churches" base their beliefs and rules on the Bible, so churches really have no choice in the matter. the Bible can't be adjusted to suit "modern thinking".

Of course, the Bible also teaches love and tolerence, but that is often forgotten. I'll go with this view myself as long as no innocent is being harmed. because God will judge us. He and no other.

but none of this changes the fact that Star Trek producers have been cowards.
I am no Christian but grew up in Christian faith and as my father is a religious teacher, I claim to know a little bit about the subject.
There might be lines in the Old Testament about homosexuality but Jesus's message was pretty clear: complicated and over-detailed rules can easily be ignored when they make no sense. Go out and eat something at Sabbath when you are hungry. The Ten Commandments can easily be summarized to: love God and love your fellow humans.
(I hope that I did not insult any Jew by this, it's just how I see Jesus's message in a nutshell)
So whenever a Christian church creates dogma and detailed rules about right or wrong, they oppose Jesus's idea of keep it sweet and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
how has it been adjusted?
The Christian Bible has it's own version of what books are canon and which are apocryphal. Counting of books and ordering of books varies, as does interpretations of the source texts. Scholars still debate parts of interpretation.

The King James Bible from 1611 was translated under strict rule laid down by the King to conform to the understanding that suited his time in power. Plus scholars also believe that some of the books in the Bible currently had vastly different alternate versions, and may in some cases even be attributed to the wrong author.

In and of itself, it doesn't remove how useful it is to some people's lives, but as a collected work in one respect, it can be viewed differently depending on how far back you go and what translations etc factor in.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Assuming that you don't speak Aramaic or Hebrew or Greek or Latin or Early English, it's adjusted every time it's translated. Why do you think they call it the King James Bible? Cause it was edited to fit what King James wanted it to reflect.
Nothing lasts for 2000 years and countless re-edits without being changed. Go read up on the Diet of Worms and you'll see some real "adjusting" !!!

PS Left handed people are evil!
so what are you saying about Christian beliefs then?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Odradek's Avatar
Odradek Odradek is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Assuming that you don't speak Aramaic or Hebrew Assuming that you don't speak Aramaic or Hebrew or Greek or Latin or Early English
I don't have to, my whole language is mainly based on the bible translation.
I never read the King James version sadly
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.