The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Iowa 250 years ahead of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
There's a thread like this in the movie area - I think he was getting other people's attention.
Yep!!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I KNOW, I know. There was another thread started in the Star Trek XI movie section about gays and lesbians being left out of Trek. I posted to that thread then "bumped" this thread so everyone could see it!!

Why is this a problem? (The number of threads about Trek's lack of GLBT characters, I mean?) Last time I counted, there were five threads concerning the size of the new Enterprise... and at least four threads that dealt with the subject of who the het male fans, or Kirk, should "nail" in their next encounter. Three threads that were concerend over Scotty's assistant, and several complaint fests about plot or continuity errors in the film.

So, discussing a subject that has to do with the future direction of the franchise, and the history of why it's failed to keep up with the rest of televised science fiction on this subject, seems wholly appropriate for this forum. (At least to me, and several of the others on the forum who see it as a personal issue.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Oh, and don't try to find those other threads anymore. They seem to have disappeared. Someone seems to have ignited the "red matter" on them.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Why is this a problem? (The number of threads about Trek's lack of GLBT characters, I mean?) Last time I counted, there were five threads concerning the size of the new Enterprise... and at least four threads that dealt with the subject of who the het male fans, or Kirk, should "nail" in their next encounter. Three threads that were concerend over Scotty's assistant, and several complaint fests about plot or continuity errors in the film.

So, discussing a subject that has to do with the future direction of the franchise, and the history of why it's failed to keep up with the rest of televised science fiction on this subject, seems wholly appropriate for this forum. (At least to me, and several of the others on the forum who see it as a personal issue.)
Speaking as one of those people, just how many threads called "We need some GLBT folks on the bridge" can we have going before it gets a tad repititious???
Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Vice Admiral

If anything the discussion should be in the "general trek" area if you want to talk about Trek's lack of cahones on the subject. I have no problem with the number of threads on the subject.

It never fails, there will be few that post rubbish and will turn the thread into an out of control argument, that is why the threads are closed. Look in the general trek area and read the thread I was talking about. Mister2, JediTray, and Aqua were pretty much the reason the thread was closed. I hope that doesn't happen to this thread.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Speaking as one of those people, just how many threads called "We need some GLBT folks on the bridge" can we have going before it gets a tad repititious???
Indeed. There is little new under the sun besides either homophobic people uttering their opinion or the general consensus that one of the human and male main characters in a potential new Trek series in the next decade should be gay or bi.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Vice Admiral

jerhanner,

Well, when you get right down to it... seems most of the threads we start on this topic end up going up in smoke. At any one time, we seem to be only allowed one thread on it. One will start, hang around a while, and any others that get started will be killed off.

Which is kinda strange, when you think about it. I don't see the mods pruning any other multiple threads which are on the same subject.... just us.

Try this: start a thread, as innocuous as you like, on this subject in the new movie part of the forum. I'll bet you it's removed immediately. I think they just don't want anyone to talk about it in conjunction with the new film.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Vice Admiral

I think it has more to do with manners.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Vice Admiral

Maybe.

Oh, and Vermont just joined our parade. Yay, Vermont!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Vice Admiral

What finally happened in New Hampshire?