The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Iowa 250 years ahead of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
And people ask me why I consider Dr. Who to be the single best science fantasy show on TV, bar none (including all of the new incarnations of Trek since TNG)... It's because it's never cowtowed to the American Talibangelists, that's why!
!
that's not a reason to name anything the best.
plus ds9 and clone wars beat all comers.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Mission, which is why on NPR this morning a spokesperson for the White House broached the subject of a possible repeal of DOMA. (The Diane Rheam Show) This was probably what they call a "feeler" before seriously talking about actually doing so. The political equal of dipping your toe in the pool to see if you want to dive in.

I'll believe it when it happens... but, it would fit in with the "Let's erase the last eight years as much as possible" mop up that the Obama administration is doing.
I didn't see this news. I did watch the news last night and it stated DOMA was signed into law by Clinton. Was that an error? I found it hard to believe Clinton would have signed such a law. Bush on the other hand, I can see him signing it with one hand while the Bible is in the other.

I doubt Obama will attempt a repeal of DOMA in his first term. I think he'll do it for sure in his second term. There WILL be a second term.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Vice Admiral

I looked it up. I can't BELIEVE Clinton signed this trash bill!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act
Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

That was shortly after the 92 election. Remember, that was also the time when the religious right was pushing for ammendment #2 in Colorado, and an even worse one in Califorina. They had stirred up a huge stink how gays were threatening the American way of life, so there was pressure for Clinton to do something to appease the sheeple who followed Dobson, Falwell, and the rest of them. Clinton had just concocted the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy for the military... (i.e. an excuse to lie) and was seen as being soft on the "f*g problem."

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Vice Admiral

I forgot to mention, FanWriter, that I love your newly coined word "Talibangelists"!! It is very fitting!!! I'm going to use that word from now on whenever I get into arguments with someone that is far, far "right"!!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It's not my word... I got it from the syndicated "Savage Love" advice column on the Onion page. (A great column, written by an online friend.) I think he got it from elsewhere... Being part of the GLBT community is not unlike being a part of science fiction fandom... lots and lots of "inside jargon." Not surprisingly, there's a good deal of crossover.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
That was shortly after the 92 election. Remember, that was also the time when the religious right was pushing for ammendment #2 in Colorado, and an even worse one in Califorina. They had stirred up a huge stink how gays were threatening the American way of life, so there was pressure for Clinton to do something to appease the sheeple who followed Dobson, Falwell, and the rest of them. Clinton had just concocted the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy for the military... (i.e. an excuse to lie) and was seen as being soft on the "f*g problem."
Right, while principles of a politican are important, we still live in a democracy and there is only so much an elected leader can do against the will of the majority.
It's quite interesting to see the wax and wane of orthodox religious movements, in the 20th century it seems to have increased roughly at the time after Watergate.
I hope that right now, the moon is about to become smaller.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Vice Admiral

horatio,

Well, Newsweek seems to think so. It's cover story this week is on the decline and fall of the religious powers in American politics. (Yay!)

Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Indeed - Church and State should remain separate.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Vice Admiral

Yeah, cause, y'know... the mix of religion and government has worked out so well in the Middle East....