The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Iowa 250 years ahead of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Oh, and don't worry about "disrespecting me" by letting the thread go off in related topics. I was being a bit glib with the whole Iowa vs. Trek thing anyway, so it's really okay with me so long as we stay more or less on topic, and not stray in to outright bigoted statements.

No, disrespect isn't talking an issue through. Disrespect is getting beaten up outside a bar because you came out the door holding your best friend's hand. Trust me, I can take a few harsh words, folks.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
Trek never shyed away from topics like evolution. how come they weren't afraid of 'religious backlash' on that?
Good question. I don't have an answer. I don't think anyone has an answer. They just wimped out on the homosexual character thing.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
"Homosexuality would NOT be a contraversial issue (for Trek) if Christians didn't cast it as a "disease" or an "abomination"."

you didn't say a few Christians, or some, or most. you said Christians. that implies all Christians.

also you say we are not off point - yet at the beginning of this post you 'agreed' we were off point.
I understand why you interpreted what i said this way. When I said "christians" I should have said "those Christians that still use religious ideology to deny equal rights to homosexuals". I figured that was implied by my previous posts. I was not accurate.

I did agree we were straying off point a bit, then I changed my mind. I don't see how we can discuss trek's lack of gay characters and NOT bring current religious intolerance into the equation.

Thanks for pointing out my post were confusing. I edited them to make make it a bit more clear.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-06-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
I'm not so sure that sexual orientation is a thing most people can deliberatly choose.
The only choice people have is if they live with or against their sexuallity.
I agree with this completely!! I did NOT choose to be attracted to woman... it just happened.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-06-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Disrespect is getting beaten up outside a bar because you came out the door holding your best friend's hand. Trust me, I can take a few harsh words, folks.
I had forgotten you've been through stuff like that.

I don't think I could ever stand idly by while witnessing something like this. I'd either stop it by force, or get my a** kicked trying!!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Vice Admiral

New Mexico has attempted to pass laws similar to Iowa recently. Twice such attempts occurred, and both times the bills were narrowly defeated.

My mother's first cousin is a state senator and represents the area where I live. I saw him at McDonald's one day and we ended up sitting together and having a long talk about politics. I mentioned the defeat of the homosexual rights bill (it wasn't quite gay marriage, but it DID extend all the benefits of marriage). My cousin was ashamed of his "no" vote. When I asked why he voted "no", when it was obvious he felt the right thing to do was to vote "yes", his answer was because he wanted to represent his constituency. His office had recieved hundreds of calls regarding the bill and 99% of the calls were against the bill.

At that moment I realized people like myself, those that are accepting of people as they are, many of us are NOT vocal enough in our support of others. Those that deny equal rights to others and use religion as a weapon, they ARE very vocal, and will fight tooth and nail to keep our society in the dark ages when it comes to equality regardless of sexuality. I just needed to get that off my chest.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

The famous kiss between Uhura and Shatner was, according to Nichols, opposed by studio executives and, I don't remember her story precisely, they basically shot two versions on the set, one with and oen without a kiss. Shatner forced to reshot only kiss sequences and at the end of the day there remained only one chance for a take sans kiss, which Shatner deliberately messed up by looking into the camera.
If Nichol's story is true, it shows that some things have to be pushed.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The famous kiss between Uhura and Shatner was, according to Nichols, opposed by studio executives and, I don't remember her story precisely, they basically shot two versions on the set, one with and oen without a kiss. Shatner forced to reshot only kiss sequences and at the end of the day there remained only one chance for a take sans kiss, which Shatner deliberately messed up by looking into the camera.
If Nichol's story is true, it shows that some things have to be pushed.
I believe her story. I don't see any motivation for her to lie. Her story also gives the Shat some credit too!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

I doubt that today studio executives would oppose homosexual or bisexual main characters, so it seems that Berman never wanted any in the three Trek shows after TNG.
On the other hand, one has to give them credit for the few episodes likte "The Host" who dealt with sexuality and gender in general.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
But I'm a trekkie and a teuton, so nitpicking is my double nature.
Arm Teuton Torpedoes!