The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Iowa 250 years ahead of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Captain

Look , I saved it for you
Aren't I'm a Schatz ?

I said it before and so I'll say it again. Trek should touch on this. There aren't many shows that just throw homosexuality out there for the audience to see as it is; without clouding it in, disease, deviance or lust. I really never have seen, in a scifi series a gay couple just be a part of the story without making some point and isn't that the point? This 23rd century Earth is a utopia. There would be no problems, prejudice or stigmata against gays, they would just be there, living and working alongside everyone else. No issues at all.

But in Firefly, we have Innara, she's bisexual, the one scene we get is where she is going to meet a female client and Adam Baldwin, a very, let's say, certainly homophobic sort of character if he were he to be confronted with it, exclaimed, "I'll be in my bunk." No explanation needed. I'm sure if Innara were a man, the scene would play quite differently. In DS9, Dax and her former lover (she was Kurzon then) share a kiss, again same sort of issue but better handled. At least there was drama there.

Finally, Tom in Lost, he's revealed as gay and what's he doing when he's revealed? He's having a rendezvous with, presumably, a male prostitute. He says he likes to indulge when he's off the island and on top of that he is a villain. It'd be nice to see some television where gay characters are not used as lecherous villains or lustful taglines.

I'm not saying these examples are bad, they certainly worked within the context of each show and I really have no problem with how they were handled. My problem is that homosexuality is never just thrown out there for people to see, there's always some coloring or 'story' to be told. Why not just have a gay couple, no baggage because there wouldn't be any in Trek.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Admiral

There it is! Thanks Odradek! Much appreciated! Your user name makes me wanna pull out my Kafka.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Captain

The ironic part is: I wanted to post a snappy remark about it
Now you have taken the wind out of my sails
Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
I said it before and so I'll say it again. Trek should touch on this. There aren't many shows that just throw homosexuality out there for the audience to see as it is; without clouding it in, disease, deviance or lust. I really never have seen, in a scifi series a gay couple just be a part of the story without making some point and isn't that the point? This 23rd century Earth is a utopia. There would be no problems, prejudice or stigmata against gays, they would just be there, living and working alongside everyone else. No issues at all.

But in Firefly, we have Innara, she's bisexual, the one scene we get is where she is going to meet a female client and Adam Baldwin, a very, let's say, certainly homophobic sort of character if he were he to be confronted with it, exclaimed, "I'll be in my bunk." No explanation needed. I'm sure if Innara were a man, the scene would play quite differently. In DS9, Dax and her former lover (she was Kurzon then) share a kiss, again same sort of issue but better handled. At least there was drama there.

Finally, Tom in Lost, he's revealed as gay and what's he doing when he's revealed? He's having a rendezvous with, presumably, a male prostitute. He says he likes to indulge when he's off the island and on top of that he is a villain. It'd be nice to see some television where gay characters are not used as lecherous villains or lustful taglines.

I'm not saying these examples are bad, they certainly worked within the context of each show and I really have no problem with how they were handled. My problem is that homosexuality is never just thrown out there for people to see, there's always some coloring or 'story' to be told. Why not just have a gay couple, no baggage because there wouldn't be any in Trek.
Absolutely true, it's very rare on any show to see a gay character or couple who don't have 'other issues' around their sexuality. Be it their the bad guy (or girl), conflicted about it, an alcholic or druggie or any of the many other things.

I know Desperate Housewives has a gay couple, but then they are often used for comedic effect, though it does also kind of show their relationship as being one where they just are in love with each other.

But to see a successful gay character, with no issues and problems about their sexuality is a far less frequent occurence.

Star Trek would be a great vehile to show that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
There it is! Thanks Odradek! Much appreciated! Your user name makes me wanna pull out my Kafka.
Saying nothing.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

Saying nothing.

Ha ha!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

[quote=MissionTrek08;169462]You answered the question yourself, Fan -- because TOS aired in an era of counter-culture movement, rebellion and even revolution in social terms. Many people were open to change, new ideas, the social blending of races, the emergence of equal rights for women, etc. TOS was a reflection of its time and thus included blacks and women as equals in its vision of the future beyond the pioneering turmoil of the 1960s.
quote]

Actually, Trek aired with a multi racial crew in spite of the networks attempts to cast the show "sensibly." NBC wanted an all white, male cast, who smoked. (Thus enabling the show to draw the cigarette sponsors) As a result, we lost Majel's "Number One." It took Roddenberry and the heads of Desilu Studios backing him up to move that "TV reality" into something that looked more like what the future should be. I can understand their reluctance to do something about this back in the 1960's, those pre-Stonewall days GLBT were lucky if their existance was even mentioned, much less a positive portrayal being offered on a weekly series. But times have been a changin'. (to quote Dylan)

That's the trouble... the Paramount execs are worried that adding GLBT characters would cause the fans to "squick" and they'd tune out. (Which as we know, is utter BS.) We didn't tune out because of Capt Jack on Torchwood, and we didn't tune out of Farscape because of Chiani. It's just plain ol' cowardice on their parts.

As it is, a good fraction of Trek fandom (and the viewing public in general, perhaps as high as 10%) is being left out in the cold. In the future, "the human adventure is just beginning"...but only as long as you are straight.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.

Last edited by FanWriter45 : 04-06-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I'm not so sure that sexual orientation is a thing most people can deliberatly choose.
The only choice people have is if they live with or against their sexuallity.
Oh for goodness sake, I know no one chooses their sexual identity. Stop nitpicking every word I say! I was kissing girls a long time ago and so can claim to have a little insight on the subject, and can quite safely declare that I am in no way homophobic.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Oh for goodness sake, I know no one chooses their sexual identity. Stop nitpicking every word I say! I was kissing girls a long time ago and so can claim to have a little insight on the subject, and can quite safely declare that I am in no way homophobic.
I know that your not homophobic.
But I'm a trekkie and a teuton, so nitpicking is my double nature.
It's in our contract to be a pain in the ***
Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I know that your not homophobic.
But I'm a trekkie and a teuton, so nitpicking is my double nature.
It's in our contract to be a pain in the ***
I thought Teuton Trekkies would spend most of their time invading Poland?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I was kissing girls a long time ago ...

I'd pay to see that. Just teasing
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com