The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > NEWS TV SERIES: Starring Bruce Greenwood as Captain Pike?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a series about Captain Pike?
YES 28 68.29%
NO 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
perhaps, but it can't look like a TV show again.

maybe they'll wait to see how George Lucas' live action Star Wars series will be put together? he is promising a movie scale episode a week. that is pretty much what Trek will need, but as I said in a TV film or mini-series format, lest it lose the run of it self again.

But keep Kirk and Co. for the big screen.
I'm interested to see how the live action Star Wars show turns out as well. TV's changing, shows seem bigger, more cinematic, especially with the advancements in CGI. The new BSG, Stargate Atlantis, especially the latter two seasons have a very cinematic feel to them.

When Trek does come back to TV, and I think it will, it'll definitely look different stylistically, but then again it changes stylistically series to series, even the TNG era shows have their own unique style.

Trek will be back on TV sometime, hopefully soon, but I agree, it'll look more cinematic.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Time to get that LARGE Television!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Vice Admiral

This would be an awful idea!! Again, unless it's set in a new universe/timeline, what's the point? You would know the Enterprise survives until Kirk comes around. Would you have another Spock?

Forward people! We need to move Forward!!! I liked the idea behind ENT because it was the very beginning of Earth's venture into deep space. We didn't know many things. Sure, we knew eventually the UFP would be created, but how we got there was great to see. Stories of Captain Pike would be plain dumb. He's a minor character in Trek, why make something around him? I'd rather see a "Lost Era" type series with Sulu in command if we must do another prequel. Even then I would only like it because it would be based on a character that was in more than a couple of episodes. Post Nemesis is the way to go, in the original universe/timeline.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-03-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
This would be an awful idea!! Again, unless it's set in a new universe/timeline, what's the point? You would know the Enterprise survives until Kirk comes around. Would you have another Spock?

Forward people! We need to move Forward!!! I liked the idea behind ENT because it was the very beginning of Earth's venture into deep space. We didn't know many things. Sure, we knew eventually the UFP would be created, but how we got there was great to see. Stories of Captain would be plain dumb. He's a minor character in Trek, why make something around him? I'd rather see a "Lost Era" type series with Sulu in command.
Pike isn't a minor figure in Starfleet, he was the greatest Captain in Starfleet, only to be surpassed by Kirk, even Kirk was surpassed eventually. Pike is an untold story rivalling Kirk's. With stories and raw adventure like Archer's waiting to be told!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Ensign

Personally I would like to see a Captain Riker series, and maybe a series with the Enterprise E (without Picard), possibly with Riker as Captain. As I feel he was held back in TNG and the films.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Commander

hopefully, it a while off and will not be rushed

plus it doesn't matter that you know Pike will die/be seriously injured, because it would be about the story at hand.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Pike isn't a minor figure in Starfleet, he was the greatest Captain in Starfleet, only to be surpassed by Kirk, even Kirk was surpassed eventually. Pike is an untold story rivalling Kirk's. With stories and raw adventure like Archer's waiting to be told!
We've seen Pike in what..2 episodes? We've heard a few things that made him out to be another great Captain, whoopie-do-da! He's a minor character that was REPLACED with Kirk (I'm talking real life here). Should we have a series about EVERY character that has been seen in one or two episodes and that has also been referred to as a GREAT .....whatever? I hope all the Pike fans (not that there's much to get excited about) get there "fill" with this new movie. Then let's forget about Pike.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Vice Admiral

This is what we know about Pike. And whatever was said about him in dialog. I got it from the StarTrek.com Library:

Best known as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, just prior to James Kirk, Pike counted the top-secret first contact with the natives of Talos IV amid his long Starfleet career. Later in life, as a fleet captain aboard the training ship U.S.S. Republic, Pike suffered massive radiation damage after saving several cadets when a baffle plate ruptured in the ship's reactor. Thanks to the unorthodox methods of his former science officer, Spock, in 2366, Pike was returned to Talos IV to live out his life without the debilitating lifestyle he had endured, even with a self-propelled, life-support wheelchair.

WOW! That's alot. If you also include the pilot episode that was thrown out then we know he was a very great Captain!!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Admiral

MrQ has a good point here. You pitch a star trek show and work from the past canon. People know Kirk, they know Picard. Pike, though he is a major character and personality in the history of Trek, most people won't know who the hell he is. You might as well pitch the show as there was a captain before Kirk, wait 'til you get a load of him.

I only say this because the mythos is mainly among fans of the show, not the general audience. I'm not saying it would be bad to see a show revolving around Pike, but Pike could not be the selling point. Unless you are selling the show to absolute fans of TOS.

I think it would be much more difficult to sell this prequel, established canon idea than new Trek. Even Enterprise, though it predated TOS didn't work from established characters in Trek, at least at its core. If you're going to do a show revolving around Pike, The Cage and The Menagerie are about the only places we've seen him so there's a lot to sell with little. It'd be a challenge! Unless it is set in the Abram's verse as Omega said initially. Then I think it would work if the new film is a success, which it probably will be. There would be a demand for it and that is the central element, supply and demand. Kirk, yeah, Picard, okay, Pike, Pike who? Sad but that is where the potential audience would be at and the potential audience is where the money is at and new tv series go where the money is, so I don't think Pike could be a selling point unless he becomes a phenomena like Khan in Trek II.

Before TWOK, you say Khan, they say, who? After TWOK, then say KHAAAN!!! And so you have a demand.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 04-04-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
I agree on the mini-series or TV movies but down the road Trek will return to the small screen, from whence it came.
Seems likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
perhaps, but it can't look like a TV show again.

maybe they'll wait to see how George Lucas' live action Star Wars series will be put together? he is promising a movie scale episode a week. that is pretty much what Trek will need, but as I said in a TV film or mini-series format, lest it lose the run of it self again.

But keep Kirk and Co. for the big screen.
I think that now that is less of a problem - did BSG look like a TV show? Does 24? Television production values and budgets have came a long way since even Enterprise ended it's run. It never embraced them and stuck to the Trek template. But if a new series was to take advantage of the location filming, camera work and effects that can now be done then there is no reason it has to 'look' like a TV show the way it did before.

Then again, when it comes to the live action Star Wars series, Lucas can afford to give them the best effects out of his own back pocket. He essentially paid for the second trilogy himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
This is what we know about Pike. And whatever was said about him in dialog. I got it from the StarTrek.com Library:

Best known as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, just prior to James Kirk, Pike counted the top-secret first contact with the natives of Talos IV amid his long Starfleet career. Later in life, as a fleet captain aboard the training ship U.S.S. Republic, Pike suffered massive radiation damage after saving several cadets when a baffle plate ruptured in the ship's reactor. Thanks to the unorthodox methods of his former science officer, Spock, in 2366, Pike was returned to Talos IV to live out his life without the debilitating lifestyle he had endured, even with a self-propelled, life-support wheelchair.

WOW! That's alot. If you also include the pilot episode that was thrown out then we know he was a very great Captain!!
Exactly - so much blank canvas to fill in. We know he captained the Enterprise for a long time so how many stories does he have? Plus you have the dramatic device of knowing his fate - a tragic hero!

courtesy of Saquist