The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Sorry guys, Warp Drive's cany exist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_scotland88 View Post
William Shatner, Saturday Night Live, 1986:

"It's just a TV Show - it's just a TV Show"!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
What if humankind is a one in a billion freak of nature?
Even if its one in a trillion... with the vastness of space and the huge lengths of time it is likely that life has developed elsewhere. Now it may not be intelligent or it may blow itself up. We still have to remember though, that even if the universe is packed with intelligent life... there is still only one earth and only one human race. We are unique and very special.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchief1001 View Post
Well, actually the Star Trek warp drive does exist. And Patrick Stewart explained exactly how to make it work: "Well, you just say, ENGAGE, and the ship goes." The warp drive is an excellent plot device! lol
Well said, I sometimes have to remind myself that Trek is not a looking glass into our future, but a looking glass into our imagination. If we are to solve the problems associated with quantum physics in this or the next century (which I highly doubt) we may discover we don't need ships to travel where we want to go. There may not be all these lifeforms out there and we may find our theories just as ridiculous as how we once thought earth was flat.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchief1001 View Post
We still have to remember though, that even if the universe is packed with intelligent life... there is still only one earth and only one human race. We are unique and very special.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets, and in all the universe three million million galaxies like this, and in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."

- Lt. Cmdr. Leonard H. McCoy, MD
"Balance of Terror"

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Archer View Post
But Vulcans arent real
The memos people, the memos, How come I'm not getting the memos?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
there is also #3, that by the time a civilization is advanced enough to develop FTL, that they either are able to study a civililazation like ours without being detected, or that they are so far beyond us that we don't interest them in the slightest.
Yeah, I tend to overlook that one on the grounds that as our civilization has advanced, we have tended to become more and more curious. This is pure speculation on my part, but I have to think that mentalities capable of solving interstellar engineering problems could only get that way by being intensely inquisitive. Therefore inquisitiveness and interstellar flight capability are likely to be correlated.

Therefore it is logical that I go camp out in my lawn tonight, 'cause they are gonna be here any minute now...