The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "In the Shadow of Star Wars"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
When seeing Star Trek as being in the shadow of Star Wars, I believe JJ meant that Star Trek was never really given the budgetary and production push necessary to compete as a blockbuster movie.

Star Trek movies have historically had a budget, and a box-office gross, that is dwarfed by the Star Wars movies.

Star Trek movies are generally in the Christmas movie realm, and have never done anything on the scale Star Wars has.

JJ Abrams is clearly looking to amp things up, to make a movie that would make people go "wow" rather than a general "I enjoyed that".

He's aiming for a Blockbuster, and has been given the lattitude and resources by Paramount to do it.
I agree. Well put!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Vice Admiral

and he is gonna make it happen,no doubt
Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
and he is gonna make it happen,no doubt
Agreed. He has the resources and genuine storytelling/directing ability to pull this movie off like no other Star Trek movie. That's something that has me really excited (beyond previous Trek films)...we've never had a Star Trek movie that could live up to it's 100% potential. Even Wrath of Khan was hampered by the budget and had reused shots. I'm so glad Paramount realized that Trek needed revitalization!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Old 04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I am a fan of both franchises; I love my Star Wars and I love my Star Trek and one doesn't take away from the other. They're both entertaining, and that's the ultimate requirement for me.
well put, brother. your entire post is fantastic.

nothing more should be said.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
When seeing Star Trek as being in the shadow of Star Wars, I believe JJ meant that Star Trek was never really given the budgetary and production push necessary to compete as a blockbuster movie.

Star Trek movies have historically had a budget, and a box-office gross, that is dwarfed by the Star Wars movies.

Star Trek movies are generally in the Christmas movie realm, and have never done anything on the scale Star Wars has.

JJ Abrams is clearly looking to amp things up, to make a movie that would make people go "wow" rather than a general "I enjoyed that".

He's aiming for a Blockbuster, and has been given the lattitude and resources by Paramount to do it.
I can only agree with those points.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Commander

Well ST always was small (probably rather medium) in the cinema,

but Star Trek series always had the biggest budgets (just compare DS9's special effects to those of Babylon 5), some of the best ratings (especially TNG).

ST was in the shadow of SW in the cinema, but everything was in the shadow of ST on the television, at least during its big times in the 90s.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Commander

I don't think X-Files was ever in the shadow of televised Trek (as much as I could never get into that show).

I'd have to agree about Babylon 5 however, as I was a huge B5 fan.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Commander

I don't know about that.

At the time The X-Files was launched, not every area of the country had a FOX affiliate. TNG and DS9 were very successful in syndication and VOY helped launch a network (albeit a small one).

X-Files certainly ran for a long time and probably reached the height of its popularity in the 98-99 time frame (before the first film came out), which would have been toward the end of the DS9 run and the first few seasons of VOY.

I think it was in the shadow for a while but emerged into its own niche.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I don't think X-Files was ever in the shadow of televised Trek (as much as I could never get into that show).

I'd have to agree about Babylon 5 however, as I was a huge B5 fan.
dead right, brother. an actual balanced, fair minded comment, from a person not even into X-Files.
also, you have to think globally, it's not just about the US and the crazy way you guys do television - launching networks and affiliates. just a few channels like other countries. I mean you got Brimstone and Briscoe County canned, and [probably] Reaper next.

I love Trek, but it did not rule the idiot box. it did not attract the casual like X-Files could.
Likewise, Star Wars appealed to a wider audience. Though I cannot understand why Trek never did better money-wise. what's not to love [from the first six movies anyway]?