The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "In the Shadow of Star Wars"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Star Wars is fantasy with a lil sci-fi. In fact, Star Wars is my favorite fantasy series, while Trek is my favorite in science fiction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 AM
jtrek79's Avatar
jtrek79 jtrek79 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens,Greece
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Star Wars is fantasy with a lil sci-fi. In fact, Star Wars is my favorite fantasy series, while Trek is my favorite in science fiction.
thats more like it
__________________
B E H O L D T H E N A R A D A
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,207
Default

Exactly. SW is with LotR, while ST is with BTTF.
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
TJJones's Avatar
TJJones TJJones is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs23576 View Post
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...rek-dir-1.html

I know this article is old, and I know JJ is a Skywalker fanboy, but his statement here infuriates me.

Who is in whose shadow here:

A.) Star Trek, 5 sperate live-action TV series for a total of 28 seasons of trek. Star Wars, none

B.) Star Trek, 11 movies and going. Star Wars 6 and out.

C.) Star Trek, has had a genuine major influence on today's technology. Star Wars, influenced a bunch of 30-something potheads to stay in the parents basement and practice Jedi as a real religon.

D.) Star Trek, actually have Video Games that requires you to use your grey matter. Star Wars games, Video Games were you just have to hit the fire button real quick.
A+B. You know, using that logic, you can also say this is was the root cause of the downfall of the Star Trek franchise. Oversaturation. You could say people are tired of Trek because of everything they've been bombarded with over the last 43 years.

And, honestly, the number of "live-action" hours is irrelevant to determine the quality of each franchise. There are a lot of crap hours of Trek out there, including in TOS ("Spock's Brain," anyone?).

C. The Star Wars crack isn't valid, because there are plenty of Trek geeks who live in their parents' basements and learn Klingon as a "real" language. That has nothing to do with Trek or Wars, but everything to do with the personality of the people doing it.

I've been playing roleplaying games for 30 years. I have a stable job (21+ years of service to my country in and out of uniform), three wonderful daughters, active in my community and writing two novels. I can guarantee there are more gamers like me than there are those who can't integrate themselves into society.

Kids who kill themselves or someone else "because of D&D" would find another avenue to that same place if D&D weren't in their lives. It's the perosnality of the person, not the game/music/sport/movie/cartoon/whatever. Parents refuse to blame their child (or their child-rearing techniques) for something bad happening, so they find a "straw man" to cover up their/their child's failings.

So, Star Wars isn't responsible for some idiot practicing a "jedi religion;" the idiot is. And if the idiot didn't have Star Wars, s/he would find some other fantasy realm to escape from this reality.

Also, Star Wars is more "space fantasy." It's science fiction because it uses "ray guns" and "space ships" for its setting (which, of course, was "long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away"). Star Trek was about the people of Earth in a "few hundred" years, showing a future where we, yes we, rose above the hatred and violence and turmoil of the era (late 60s) and came together as a human race. It was more directly relevant to the human condition than Star Wars, because it was about us.

Star Wars wasn't about that; it was pulp entertainment, good vs. evil, a story that was ultimately (after 6 movies) about the rise, fall and redemption of the main antagonist. Lucas said his focus was to give the feel of the 30s-era adventure serials (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc.); he did the same thing with Indiana Jones.

D. This is irrelevant. As above, they are different styles of sci-fi, so their games are going to have different styles. One is not better than the other, because their ultimate goal is to entertain in ways that best suit their milieu.

I am a fan of both franchises; I love my Star Wars and I love my Star Trek and one doesn't take away from the other. They're both entertaining, and that's the ultimate requirement for me.

__________________
Davy Jones
Your Friendly, Neighborhood, Navy Vet!

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy



Last edited by TJJones : 04-03-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I am a fan of both franchises; I love my Star Wars and I love my Star Trek and one doesn't take away from the other. They're both entertaining, and that's the ultimate requirement for me.
You tell it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
then galactica is the cherry on top

i d say star wars is in the shadow cause trek is ten years older , and it has a considerably bigger universe (altered universes , time travel etc)
Yes we cannot forget the BSG cherry on top my friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Star Wars is fantasy with a lil sci-fi. In fact, Star Wars is my favorite fantasy series, while Trek is my favorite in science fiction.
Well I guess Trek is just Sci-Fi with Fantasy thrown in.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Yeah, but Trek tries to fit in real science. Star Wars has it's basis in a lot of mythology and fantasy, whereas Trek does not. Two totally different franchises for the most part.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
A+B. You know, using that logic, you can also say this is was also the root cause of the downfall of the Star Trek franchise. Oversaturation. You could say people are tired of Trek because of everything they've been bombarded with over the last 43 years.

And, honestly, the number of "live-action" hours is irrelevant to determine the quality of each franchise. There are a lot of crap hours of Trek out there, including in TOS ("Spock's Brain," anyone?).

C. The Star Wars crack isn't valid, because there are plenty of Trek geeks who live in their parents' basements and learn Klingon as a "real" language. That has nothing to do with Trek or Wars, but everything to do with the personality of the people doing it.

I've been playing roleplaying games for 30 years. I have a stable job (21+ years of service to my country in and out of uniform), three wonderful daughters, active in my community and writing two novels. I can guarantee there are more gamers like me than there are those who can't integrate themselves into society.

Kids who kill themselves or someone else "because of D&D" would find another avenue to that same place if D&D weren't in their lives. It's the perosnality of the person, not the game/music/sport/movie/cartoon/whatever. Parents refuse to blame their child (or their child-raring techniques) for something bad happening, so they find a "straw man" to cover up their/their child's failings.

So, Star Wars isn't responsible for some idiot practicing a "jedi religion;" the idiot is. And if the idiot didn't have Star Wars, s/he would find some other fantasy realm to escape from this reality.

Also, Star Wars is more "space fantasy." It's science fiction because it uses "ray guns" and "space ships" for its setting (which, of course, was "long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away"). Star Trek was about the people of Earth in a "few hundred" years, showing a future where we, yes we, rose above the hatred and violence and turmoil of the era (late 60s) and came together as a human race. It was more directly relevant to the human condition than Star Wars, because it was about us.

Star Wars wasn't about that; it was pulp entertainment, good vs. evil, a story that was ultimately (after 6 movies) about the rise, fall and redemption for the main antagonist. Lucas said his focus was to give the feel of the 30s-era adventure serials (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc.); he did the same thing with Indiana Jones.

D. This is irrelevant. As above, they are different styles of sci-fi, so their games are going to have different styles. One is not better than the other, because their ultimate goal is to entertain in ways that best suit their milieu.

I am a fan of both franchises; I love my Star Wars and I love my Star Trek and one doesn't take away from the other. They're both entertaining, and that's the ultimate requirement for me.
Outstanding I could not agree more!
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

When seeing Star Trek as being in the shadow of Star Wars, I believe JJ meant that Star Trek was never really given the budgetary and production push necessary to compete as a blockbuster movie.

Star Trek movies have historically had a budget, and a box-office gross, that is dwarfed by the Star Wars movies.

Star Trek movies are generally in the Christmas movie realm, and have never done anything on the scale Star Wars has.

JJ Abrams is clearly looking to amp things up, to make a movie that would make people go "wow" rather than a general "I enjoyed that".

He's aiming for a Blockbuster, and has been given the lattitude and resources by Paramount to do it.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
jtrek79's Avatar
jtrek79 jtrek79 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens,Greece
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Yes we cannot forget the BSG cherry on top my friend!
Well I guess Trek is just Sci-Fi with Fantasy thrown in.

i must admit , i havent seen galactica yet , but from what i have heard is of very high quality , rest assured i ll see it , as for the trek and wars we could debate this until we re green on the face
__________________
B E H O L D T H E N A R A D A
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.