The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Scott Bakula's Take on the New Movie & Fan Reaction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The premise sucked too they should have done Pike or Aprils Enterprise closer to TOS series time frame.

I would love to see a new series set after TNG like 50 to 100 years and Humans are expanding and colonizing a new Earth in a distant uncharted quadrant in order to expand farther into space and renew the need for human exploration. It would follow the crew of the Enterprise H or whatever letter were up to. There mission would be to establish the federation of planets in that region just like they pioneered in our galaxy.

I would like to see a descendant of McCoy, Scotty,or Picard as part of the crew not as Captain but maybe 1rst officer or science officer. I wouldn't mind a female captain again like Michelle Forbes who played Admiral Kane on BSG & Ensign Ro Laren in TNG, shes a powerful female presence.

This is the only way I can see a series succeeding. Going backwards for TOS is different because everyone can relate or has memories of watching it as a kid, but going back for an unknown crew and squeezing Archers E into Canon just didnt work.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Captain

Archer was in plenty of situiations with torn clothes and great fights. I am watching "The Andorian Incident" as I am typing this, it was about the #7 episode, Archer gets pretty torn up and bloodied in fighting with the Andorians. I didn't watch one single episode of Enterprise on it's first run, I am ashamed to admit that because me and a million more like me prolly kept it from being on the air for 3 more years. If it had of ran it's full course, it would have gone off just last year! Now that I have bought it, I love it! I agree that season 4 is pure Star Trek going back to TOS! Shran is my all time favorite alien of all too! I absolutely love ENT now that I am watching it. I am on my 4th marathon of it in 2 years. I told my wife last night that it was quickly becoming my favoirte. It is currently in second place behind Voyager. Of course, I love all the series!

Last edited by Beetlescott : 04-03-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

The writers certainly tried their hardest in that final season to fit things into canon and make reference to TOS. Gotta give 'em kudos for that!

Beetlescott, I'd say it's my third favorite after TOS and TNG.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
The premise sucked too they should have done Pike or Aprils Enterprise closer to TOS series time frame.

I would love to see a new series set after TNG like 50 to 100 years and Humans are expanding and colonizing a new Earth in a distant uncharted quadrant in order to expand farther into space and renew the need for human exploration. It would follow the crew of the Enterprise H or whatever letter were up to. There mission would be to establish the federation of planets in that region just like they pioneered in our galaxy.

I would like to see a descendant of McCoy, Scotty,or Picard as part of the crew not as Captain but maybe 1rst officer or science officer. I wouldnt mind a female captain again like Michelle Forbes who played Admiral Kane, shes a powerful female presence.

This is the only way I can see a series succeeding. Going backwards for TOS is different because everyone can relate or has memories of watching it as a kid, but going back for an unknown crew and squeezing Archers E into Canon just didnt work.

I think the reason they went back as far as they did in ENT was to distance it from all we knew about Star Trek. That way, they were able to have new characters and new and different stories, but still be able to tie in some important things. In Redemption, the episode where they meet some "strange" ailens, who turned out to be Borg from the sphere Picard shot down over Montana. I loved how they tied it in, and people found the crash site, and had no idea of how it got there. I also loved The Forge in season 4 that had so many nods to TOS as far as Vulcan lore goes. I loved it!!! I agree with you that there could be a series with Robert April too, more great opportunites to build on the mythos.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

The timeframe of Enterprise was perfect, the first years of humans in deep space which finally lead to the foundation of the Federation. I fail to see what else before Kirk could be as interesting as that. Pitty it did not make a full seven years run.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I tried real hard to get into Enterprise, I just couldn't hang. The characters and interactions never gelled for me. The only characters I really liked were Phlox and Trip.

Even Scott B disappointed me, I always liked him in Quantum Leap, but he always seemed to be over acting. Just my opinion but I think it failed because it just wasn't very good.
It's not just you.
I got tired of his yelling every time he got fustrated. The way he look down instead of at you when he was angry and pointed at the floor. He seemed to be working the Ham.

I liked Trip...I wanted to Like Mayweather.
Hoshi was barely tolerable. T'pol was an irratant, she didn't do anything powerful, she was an antagonist far too often.

I don't know why I didn't like Phlox. It may have been the mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I started out not liking Enterprise, but came to enjoy most of it once the reruns began on Sci-Fi (SyFy). I agree that season 4 was probably the best Trek since TNG's All Good Things...
I liked the last season when they started to honor what came before when they tried (a bit too hard at times) to mesh we TOS.
The "Augments" were an amazing series of episodes they should have down the whole 3rd season on while messing with the disaster of the previous century.

You know those special effects for the augments was fantastic when they'd use they're speed.

But it was good they ended the series. They had screwed up too much.
The characters
The tech
The writing
The canon issues.....just put it to sleep and it was the right call.

Edit: Fixing one (the writing) was only the begining and too correct our perceptions as a fan base would have taken the rest of the seven years. That's what happens when something isn't done right from the begining.

Last edited by Saquist : 04-03-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Lieutenant

I was a fan of Enterprise from the beginning; I gave them the benefit of the doubt for the first two seasons, since every spinoff series seemed to take 2 seasons to get off the ground.

Third season had good intentions, trying give a "war on terror" analogy, but I think the execution was off. The season wasn't horrible, but wasn't a great third season effort.

Fourth season was some of the best Trek I've ever watched. Well, except for "These are the Voyages..." That was an abomination.

Overall, ENT is second behind TOS for me. (DS9, TNG and VOY in that order)

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I think the reason they went back as far as they did in ENT was to distance it from all we knew about Star Trek. That way, they were able to have new characters and new and different stories, but still be able to tie in some important things. In Redemption, the episode where they meet some "strange" ailens, who turned out to be Borg from the sphere Picard shot down over Montana. I loved how they tied it in, and people found the crash site, and had no idea of how it got there. I also loved The Forge in season 4 that had so many nods to TOS as far as Vulcan lore goes. I loved it!!! I agree with you that there could be a series with Robert April too, more great opportunites to build on the mythos.
I agree there were some cool concepts thrown around and a few cool episodes, but in general it to me felt overall hollow. It has its fans for sure. As all incarnations do. It really was just too soon for another series and Trek became supersaturated.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Concerning Bakula's portrayal of Archer, I understand that many people don't like it and feel that he overacts. I felt so too for quite some time but after I got used to it, it seemed very natural to have a captain who has not been through specific training, after all he is the very first human captain in deep space. It's not like he can go by the book, as no book about how to make first contact, how to deal with hostile aliens, etc. has been written yet.
He also conveyed the excitement of exploration which got a little lost in the previous shows.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I agree there were some cool concepts thrown around and a few cool episodes, but in general it to me felt overall hollow. It has its fans for sure. As all incarnations do. It really was just too soon for another series and Trek became supersaturated.
It really was too soon. They should have taken a year or two off after Voyager. Enterprise tended to suffer from the extreme technobabble that plagued Voyager.