The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Scott Bakula's Take on the New Movie & Fan Reaction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Scott Bakula's Take on the New Movie & Fan Reaction

"The trick is, they've got to bring it up to date and make it hip and sexy and fast and all the things they can do with effects now, and keep the diehard fans in the theater. I'll be curious to see if they'll be successful with that. I hope they are."

"We were trying to make that bridge with our series, and we had resistance. There was no question that some of the Star Trek fan base was not ready to go there (laughs). They just didn't want to do it. A guy stopped me, and he said, 'Oh, I loved that show, I loved it, loved it, ... except for the theme song' (laughs). I was like, 'Man, people should just ...' But they're not willing to give it any slack. If they don't like it, they're vocal about it. But if they like it, then you're made. ... The trailer looks fantastic. And, obviously, [director J.J.] Abrams knows how to make a movie. And, hopefully, he will have succeeded, and the studio will say, 'We shouldn't have canceled Enterprise' (laughs)."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/quantum...-scot.php#more
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Federation Councillor

He's not wrong about the fans - though unfortunately I was in the first category!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Ensign

It is no secret that I started out loving Enterprise, then I grow tired of Seasons 2 and 3. But Seaon 4 of Enterprise was one of my favorite Star Trek seaons ever.

My wife and I are amped about the new movie (Although, I am still nervous that it may not feel like Trek.), so I think that this is a very good sign that the new movie will bridge the gap between Trekkies, and other movie-goers.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpeoccasio View Post
"The trick is, they've got to bring it up to date and make it hip and sexy and fast and all the things they can do with effects now, and keep the diehard fans in the theater. I'll be curious to see if they'll be successful with that. I hope they are."

"We were trying to make that bridge with our series, and we had resistance. There was no question that some of the Star Trek fan base was not ready to go there (laughs). They just didn't want to do it. A guy stopped me, and he said, 'Oh, I loved that show, I loved it, loved it, ... except for the theme song' (laughs). I was like, 'Man, people should just ...' But they're not willing to give it any slack. If they don't like it, they're vocal about it. But if they like it, then you're made. ... The trailer looks fantastic. And, obviously, [director J.J.] Abrams knows how to make a movie. And, hopefully, he will have succeeded, and the studio will say, 'We shouldn't have canceled Enterprise' (laughs)."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/quantum...-scot.php#more
Yeah, he knows what Fans didn't like about Enterprise.
You can do flashy and sex but it better be done with taste. Enterprise didn't have that for a long time.

I liked the theme song and the difference they did there but I hated the show's abuse of canon and gratitous naked bodies flying around like this was 902.10 Trek.

That actually sounds pretty good. Star Trek 902.10, That's either a radio station or a course heading.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

I started out not liking Enterprise, but came to enjoy most of it once the reruns began on Sci-Fi (SyFy). I agree that season 4 was probably the best Trek since TNG's All Good Things...
Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Carpeoccasio!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs23576 View Post
It is no secret that I started out loving Enterprise, then I grow tired of Seasons 2 and 3. But Seaon 4 of Enterprise was one of my favorite Star Trek seaons ever.

My wife and I are amped about the new movie (Although, I am still nervous that it may not feel like Trek.), so I think that this is a very good sign that the new movie will bridge the gap between Trekkies, and other movie-goers.
+1, Season 2 was to me the "Abduction-of-the-week" season, and Season 3 was just terrible storytelling beginning to end. Season 4 was what I was expecting and hoping to see in Season 2, but it was too late.

I myself am quite excited about the movie. I have no illusions it's going to feel like the old Trek, because it's a completely different cast and crew, but it doesn't have to be the same to be good, in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I tried real hard to get into Enterprise, I just couldn't hang. The characters and interactions never gelled for me. The only characters I really liked were Phlox and Trip.

Even Scott B disappointed me, I always liked him in Quantum Leap, but he always seemed to be over acting. Just my opinion but I think it failed because it just wasn't very good.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Ensign

I think Trip's character was what made it gel for me. I could relate to Trip, without him I'm not sure that show would have worked at all. Season 2 and especially 3 just really suffered from bad writing and storytelling, like they were trying WAY too hard to find a fan base of their own. I think they went overboard with the in-your-face "Hey look how edgy we are 'cuz T'pol's a hottie, but please take us seriously" stuff, too. Nothing against Jolene Blalock, I think she did a pretty good job with what they gave her, but again, the writers failed, just way too lazy in their storytelling.

Last edited by Jayne Cobb : 04-03-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

The most sexed up show was still the very first one. I don't remember having seen Theiss-ware and ripped shirts anywhere but in TOS. Sure, Ryan and Blalock have been put in catsuits and are not bad-looking, but neither were Nichols, Roddenberry or Whitney.