The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orginal Timeline
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Commander

Here's the 101:

- Events through Enterprise to the Kelvin are the same universe (Prime and Abrams).
- After Nemesis (Prime Universe), the Countdown comics take place, Spock/Nero/Narada go back in time.
- From the moment they arrive back in time, Abrams universe is created (via Quantum Mechanics). Everything from that point onwards is different in the movie.
- Prime universe still exists as we know it in parallel within SpaceTime, even beyond events in Countdown.

This allows the following:

- Shared basic history.
- Both Universes are Canon.
- Abrams universe can continue in whatever direction is required dramatically by the new team.

This has been confirmed in numerous interviews at TrekMovie.com by the writers.

This accomplishes the following goals:

- Not exactly a Prequel, and not exactly a reboot.
- Allows for a more cinematic origin story to be told (events can be altered for a better film).
- Respects the original without being beholden to it in terms of design, remembering all events in detail, necessitating staying 100% in line with known future events (TOS/Post TOS).
- Opens up creative possibilities.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Respectfully, if they do this, End the old Star Trek with this movie, then May 8th will be the last Star Trek I will ever watch. Like I said, to reboot a franchise doesn't mean to destroy what was in order to find something new to do. That is just me. There may be most of the fans here who will be happy to see STar Trek end here in order to start a new entirely different franchise, but not me.

The question is, how do you know they destroyed it until you have seen it?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Respectfully, if they do this, End the old Star Trek with this movie, then May 8th will be the last Star Trek I will ever watch. Like I said, to reboot a franchise doesn't mean to destroy what was in order to find something new to do. That is just me. There may be most of the fans here who will be happy to see STar Trek end here in order to start a new entirely different franchise, but not me.
Understand this. Understand this well:

Both universes (TOS/Abrams) exist in Parallel.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

We've seen so many parallel universes in 'Parallels' (TNG). I'm sure one of them is the new shining Abramsverse

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

In my post earlier in the thread, I already proved that Orci says that those who don't read his interviews (and I'm assumming the point goes to the Countdown comics too) won't have any idea there is any quantum mechanics theory behind anything going on. It's not in the film!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Understand this. Understand this well:

Both universes (TOS/Abrams) exist in Parallel.

Hmmm, I said roughly the same thing 8 posts ago, just not as loudly...
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
Even if it was the same timeline being affected, it wouldn't have to be some sort of major problem. Certain events around the era of the movie itself would end up a bit different, but in the end, things would smooth out.

We'd have a slightly more advanced original 1701 with a crew that came together under slightly different circumstances. But in the end it'd still be the same crew, and they and the ship would still end up going on all the same adventures, and eventually get promotions and better refits and go on MORE adventures, and then get decomissioned and replaced by different ships and crews, and so on and so on.

Kirk still gets zapped into the Nexus off the Enterprise-B, Spock still becomes an Ambassador, McCoy still lives for another century and tours the Enterprise-D, Scotty still suspends himself with the Jenolan's transporter and gets rescued by the D, etc... Eventually, Countdown's events happen, Spock and Nero go back in time, and there you have it.
I truly hope you are correct. I could definately live with that. I don't mind if things are shook up a little in the beginning at all. But if, as some of my other friend here say, all the future is gone and Kirk and crew fly off into another complete timeline or alternate universe, that would do me in. I am disabled and spend hours each day in my 10 forward basement, dusting off my artifacts, watching one on the movies, or series, it is what I devote most of my time to, so it would hit me pretty hard if they decide to leave this franchise behind, so I say again, I HOPE YOUR ARE RIGHT!!!!
By the way, I don't mean to leave anyone thinking that I am a reclusive nerd who has on contact with the real world, I just happen to have a very bad neck from getting it broken many years ago, so I have tons of time on my hands and to Trek, I devote much of my day.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Hmmm, I said roughly the same thing 8 posts ago, just not as loudly...
Yes you do keep repeating yourself, but for the sake of the franchise, I hope you are dead wrong. Yes the movie will start off in a different universe, but for the sake of the franchise (repeat for effect) I hope the RIGHT IT in the end, so we will still have Star Trek. Don't you think it a bit silly to have two seperate histories? If that is true, it stops being science fiction, and goes into the realm of FANTASY. You can't have Shatners Kirk, having one history and then start a completely different history from page one with Pine. That is ridiculous!!! It just won't work.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

you won't have two seperate histories, Orci has already stated that you need to read his interviews to understand that there is any multiverse reality going on. That means it is not on screen. All of this is talk is based on these interviews, and one small scene in Countdown. It's also all pretty irrelevent if you have to read the interview going into the film to know that parallel universes exist in the script. It means flat out, it's not in the film.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Here's the 101:

- Events through Enterprise to the Kelvin are the same universe (Prime and Abrams).
- After Nemesis (Prime Universe), the Countdown comics take place, Spock/Nero/Narada go back in time.
- From the moment they arrive back in time, Abrams universe is created (via Quantum Mechanics). Everything from that point onwards is different in the movie.
- Prime universe still exists as we know it in parallel within SpaceTime, even beyond events in Countdown.

This allows the following:

- Shared basic history.
- Both Universes are Canon.
- Abrams universe can continue in whatever direction is required dramatically by the new team.

This has been confirmed in numerous interviews at TrekMovie.com by the writers.

This accomplishes the following goals:

- Not exactly a Prequel, and not exactly a reboot.
- Allows for a more cinematic origin story to be told (events can be altered for a better film).
- Respects the original without being beholden to it in terms of design, remembering all events in detail, necessitating staying 100% in line with known future events (TOS/Post TOS).
- Opens up creative possibilities.
Sorry, but I don't accept that. I havn't read anywhere that anyone says that is where they are leaving this movie. You can't have 2 seperate histories, it's just not SciFi. You can believe it if you want, When this movie is over, there will only be one history. If you are correct what will the next series be called? Star Trek The Other Kirk? Or Star Trek, the Different history?