The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orginal Timeline
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Lieutenant

Even if it was the same timeline being affected, it wouldn't have to be some sort of major problem. Certain events around the era of the movie itself would end up a bit different, but in the end, things would smooth out.

We'd have a slightly more advanced original 1701 with a crew that came together under slightly different circumstances. But in the end it'd still be the same crew, and they and the ship would still end up going on all the same adventures, and eventually get promotions and better refits and go on MORE adventures, and then get decomissioned and replaced by different ships and crews, and so on and so on.

Kirk still gets zapped into the Nexus off the Enterprise-B, Spock still becomes an Ambassador, McCoy still lives for another century and tours the Enterprise-D, Scotty still suspends himself with the Jenolan's transporter and gets rescued by the D, etc... Eventually, Countdown's events happen, Spock and Nero go back in time, and there you have it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

I really look forward to the stories that continue the timeline after Countdown. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes due to the events of the movie or if the writers keep things going as they always were. Regardless, that is what I'll be looking forward to after the film opens.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I think also this leaves the original canon in tact for the die hards. Also If they ever wanted to revisit TNG then things are in tact.

If we were to get a new TV series I would love to see TNG continue from where they left off in Countdown. Never gonna happen though.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Captain

I noticed when Anthony asked Bob if Spock was able to set his timeline right, Bob said "no comment" that he would be giving something important away from the movie.
Anthony: Traditionally in time travel plots from "Yesterdays Enterprise", "Star Trek: First Contact" and "City on the Edge of Forever" to the Back to the Future and Terminator series, the goal of the protagonists is to protect or restore the original timeline. Is that also the case in this movie? Is Spock’s mission to restore his original timeline?
Bob: No comment, I can’t give everything away [laughs]

I have to say, if this new movie destroys the Star Trek timeline so it will have nothing to do with TOS,TNG,DS9, VOY or ENT, In my humble opinion, it will not be Star Trek, anymore than Babylon 5 could be called Star Trek. If the powers that be decide to take our heros from the last 43 years on to an alternate reality and keep them there for the next however many movies, I will not be watching any future movies. Why? Because it will not be Star Trek. Would it be any different than say, Star Trek ending up meeting up with the Lost in Space Robinsons? Or BGS characters? What is it about Star Trek that keeps us coming back for more? Is it all the wonderful characters and stories, not to mention all the novels, concerning the Star Trek that we no and love? Forgive me, but I am too old to start all over and pretened that all the other series in the franchise don't exist anymore. Does anyone understand where I am coming from here?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfanboy View Post
Here is a question for everyone. Do you think the original timeline still exists?
Yes, of course it does. The new timeline that the Abramsverse takes form in branches off from the "real" timeline and will run parallel to it, but not identical to it.

That is how Abrams, Orci and Co. have "respected" canon...by not actually interfering with it.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I noticed when Anthony asked Bob if Spock was able to set his timeline right, Bob said "no comment" that he would be giving something important away from the movie.
Anthony: Traditionally in time travel plots from "Yesterdays Enterprise", "Star Trek: First Contact" and "City on the Edge of Forever" to the Back to the Future and Terminator series, the goal of the protagonists is to protect or restore the original timeline. Is that also the case in this movie? Is Spock’s mission to restore his original timeline?
Bob: No comment, I can’t give everything away [laughs]

I have to say, if this new movie destroys the Star Trek timeline so it will have nothing to do with TOS,TNG,DS9, VOY or ENT, In my humble opinion, it will not be Star Trek, anymore than Babylon 5 could be called Star Trek. If the powers that be decide to take our heros from the last 43 years on to an alternate reality and keep them there for the next however many movies, I will not be watching any future movies. Why? Because it will not be Star Trek. Would it be any different than say, Star Trek ending up meeting up with the Lost in Space Robinsons? Or BGS characters? What is it about Star Trek that keeps us coming back for more? Is it all the wonderful characters and stories, not to mention all the novels, concerning the Star Trek that we no and love? Forgive me, but I am too old to start all over and pretened that all the other series in the franchise don't exist anymore. Does anyone understand where I am coming from here?
You know, there's a frightening thought, Beetlescott...

CBS originally had Lost In Space...it turned Star Trek down in favor of that series.

40 some years later, CBS now owns Star Trek, ironically...I don't know if CBS still has an interest in Lost In Space, but if they do...instead of finding the Botany Bay, the Enterprise finds the Jupiter II adrift in space, with the Robinsons in suspended animation...
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Yes, of course it does. The new timeline that the Abramsverse takes form in branches off from the "real" timeline and will run parallel to it, but not identical to it.

That is how Abrams, Orci and Co. have "respected" canon...by not actually interfering with it.
I understand that completley, but when the moive is over, will Old Spock have been successful in getting everything back where it was?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I understand that completley, but when the moive is over, will Old Spock have been successful in getting everything back where it was?
No, because they are rebooting the franchise. They want to do some sequals in this new Star Trek.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
I guess it depends a) on how you define "the way it was" and b) if certain rumored events happen or not...
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
No, because they are rebooting the franchise. They want to do some sequals in this new Star Trek.
Respectfully, if they do this, End the old Star Trek with this movie, then May 8th will be the last Star Trek I will ever watch. Like I said, to reboot a franchise doesn't mean to destroy what was in order to find something new to do. That is just me. There may be most of the fans here who will be happy to see STar Trek end here in order to start a new entirely different franchise, but not me.