The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orginal Timeline
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Orginal Timeline

Here is a question for everyone. Do you think the original timeline still exists?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Read STC4
STC4 ending

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Read STC4
STC4 ending
True ....
----------------->

Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Vice Admiral

i hope the timeline is completely altered,imagine an altered 23 - 24 th century , new starship designs , different approach of the federation and the other races and of course a 150 million budget for its film , seeing the same stuff over and over again becomes tiresome , star trek needs to undertake this metamorphosis

Last edited by jtrek79 : 04-02-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Admiral

The "Original" Time line exsist as long as there is DVD's and Video's of the Series' It will exsist.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Vice Admiral

yes of course my good and dear friend jed,it exists and we re proud of it,but right now for trek to survive there's only one way , JJ's way or the highway
Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Vice Admiral

According to Bob Orci's explaination of the events taking place, the TOS/TNG timeline will continue to exist in its original state unaffected by Nero's interference. Nero's attempts to alter history will alter the history of the alternate timeline he enters, branching a new timeline off the original. Whatever changes Nero effects in the alternate timeline will exist in that timeline only, and will not affect the original TOS/TNG timeline from which it branched. That is, according to Orci and the theory of Quantum Mechanics and multiverses.

I kind of like this idea. I know it pretty much makes everything that happens in this movie pointless since we will not be dealing with the characters that we know. Rather, we are seeing the development of alternate versions of these same characters. The fact that they are in an alternate timeline means that they may not devolp, or evolve into the same characters we have been used to dealing with for the past 40 years. The reason I like Orci's approach is that it allows this new, radically different version of Star Trek to exist while allowing the original, or "real" Star Trek to exist along side it unaltered. That way, I don't have to get so pi$$ed off every time I have to look at the iBridge or that absolutely horrid Abramsprise. Because I know that my lovely Enterprise and her beautiful bridge are still going strong in the "real" timeline. Thank you. That is all.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thats great you guys. I was thinking of that myself. Another mirror universe, well amost. I just hope non-fans get it. That means I can still write stuff that envolves our old timeline.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Vice Admiral

I am zim thats great news , look i am not against the original timeline at all but i ll welcome any changes , small or grant , i see star trek differently from some of u traditionalists , the important thing traditionalist or (i am sorry i cant remember the opposite) is to enjoy the movie
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Here is a link to one of these Orci interviews where he talks about this multiverse theory and how it will relate to the original timeline. I have always maintained that you won't see any evidence of multiple timelines existing at the same time in the actual movie, and he pretty much admits it himself in this interview in the quote below.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-...-real-science/

Quote:
Bob: There are, of course, life and death stakes, they simply don’t involve the cartoonyness of having a picture of yourself fading away because you bumped into your mother [as it was in "Back to the Future"]. We are not relying on the time travel element to tell a good story. That’s why this is not "Terminator" or any other movie you’ve seen before. And yet, oddly, as a practical matter, most people who see this movie will not have read this interview. Most of the audience will assume the classical time travel rules still apply.