The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Trek 11 Keep Continuity Of St Universe?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I wouldn't count on it.
The first time a movie gave an intention nod to a series was The Undiscovered Country as it connected the TNG Klingon Allinace.

The next time was Insurrection when the Dominion was mentioned from DS9
Nemesis didn't at all with the excpetion of Janeway from Voyager.
Ok first of all, that was under the hideous period of B&B, this is a new team with an inspired vision. Your comparing apples and mangos there.

Quote:
I'm not sure any particular shot could seal up the breach of canon Enterprise caused. Abrams is in a business here I don't think he'll be like Bryan Singer who added all sort of visual cues to the X-men...

We saw the stepford cookoos, jubilee, psylocke and others even thought they didn't mention there names. He altered the series just so it would be believeable in film...He was very careful..

too bad he didn't do the same with Superman.
Yes, it can be done simply. Do I think that's their intent? No. But if Orci could I believe he would script a moment or two. You're right, there is a lot of terrible canon mishap that totals into the horrendous first 3 seasons of ENT. But it can be fixed and easily in many places.

As for Singer, again, JJ ain't Singer, now you're comparing apples and desk chairs. And BTW, Singer had many wonderful allusions to what he based his sequel upon, that being the original Superman and Superman II. Should, by some miracle, Singer get to make his next Superman film, I think it would be a definite escalation from his first, just as his second X-Men was from his first. He likes to tell broader stories, using the first film to set up more character conflict and story arc for any further films. It's why Ratner's POS called X-Men 3 was so incredibly bad since Ratner ignored a lot of the character arc Singer had established and replaced it with the usual Ratner schmutz! The main reason X-Men 3 was bad, of course, was because Ratner was even remotely attached.

CE
Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

That movie was a bust.
Superman returns cost way to much and didn't bring in nearly enough as far as I'm concern. Not to mention it was a carbon copy of the first superman movie.

But is show that you can be too attached to the genre.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Saquist-

I disagree on some of your points. I didn't feel "Returns" was a retread of Superman 1. I felt Synger as a director breathed good life back into this, but allways nodded his head at what came before.

I feel we'll see another Superman movie.

I grant you it's number were not as high, but that summer was a glut of big movies, and none of them did as well as projected.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
...but that summer was a glut of big movies, and none of them did as well as projected.
That's what worries me so much about Star Trek debuting in May '09, rather than at Christmas '08. On the web, I have read that May 2009 will see several highly anticipated movie releases.

Star Trek will be fantastic, but up against so much competition, how well can it hold it's own?

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 03-04-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Ensign

Quote:
That movie was a bust.
Superman returns cost way to much and didn't bring in nearly enough as far as I'm concern. Not to mention it was a carbon copy of the first superman movie.

But is show that you can be too attached to the genre.
I agree it was Superman 1 just without Clark Kent or Clark Kent lite at least
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Southern-

It's just a chance the film will now have to take.....

Girac-

Guess we can agree to disagree!!! LOL!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
That's what worries me so much about Star Trek debuting in May '09, rather than at Christmas '08. On the web, I have read that May 2009 will see several highly anticipated movie releases.

Star Trek will be fantastic, but up against so much competition, how well can it hold it's own?

There's always this chance: May is the beginning of the year's biggest film season, so audiences are really primed and eager to see new movies. So it's possible the momentum drawing audiences to theaters will be larger in May than it would be in wintery-weather December. Keep hope alive!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Good attitude there Mission!!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant Commander

One can tell perfectly good and even great stories and strictly adhere to canon. People do it all the time when they write stories set in the real world where the canonical laws of physics must be followed.

That being the case, Abrams et al. won't do that. From what's circulated on the Internet, the time travel angle allows them to have their cake and eat it too. Old Spock can remember things as we saw them happen in TOS and the movies. Abrams can show things happening as differently as he wants and chalk it up to deviations in the time stream caused by the time travelers we see in the movie.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Federation Councillor

I am just having a hard time beliving another Trek movie/episode with time travel....